"conductor had to use the clock in machine outside the paper shop"

Which reminds me of the electric clocks that used to be dotted around town, mounted on grey poles, which I presume were for the benefit of the bus drivers.

• Like 1

Was told once by an inspector that I was running early. I showed him my watch and said that we left on time and my watch was correct. 

He countered with, " you don't go by real time, you go by corporation time " !!

• Like 2

Compo, the bus in your photo is an AEC Regent III, with Park Royal bodywork. I think the only NCT buses with Weymann bodies were AEC Renowns, numbered 351 -385.

In the timetable the official listing for the 22 terminus was Bells Lane Estate (Deepdene Way).

• Like 1

I thought it were a mk.3 Deepdene, but never said owt, there's folks on here with superior knowledge than me. I just drove em ! B.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Beekay said:

If memory serves me correct, the bus adult bus fare was 6d. Your gran would be between fare stages 15 and 14. If you ever went to town on that bus, do you remember stopping at Melbourne road while the conductor had to use the clock in machine outside the paper shop ? I remember once as a conductor, I had to refuse a lady with a pushchair as there was no more room. She asked me to hold the nipper while she folded the chair and lobbed it over the church fence next door to that paper shop. She just said " I'll pick it up on the way back !!"  True, honest. B.

I would never have gone onto Melbourne Road on a bus although I do remember the clock. Had an aunt live at 25 Melbourne. Living at Eastwood, the journey would be to travel into Nottingham on posh blue bus, B1, B3 or C5, do whatever shopping it was or whatever and then go and see Grandma on Minver on the way back home hence catching 30 or 62 on Friar Lane. The journey back home would have been either a walk around Minver, down Rosslyn and then Bells Lane to catch a posh Blue Bus on Nuthall Rd. Cinder Hill or alternatively (for a change) walk further around Minver, down Wendover and catch a posh Blue Bus adjacent to John Barleycorn. That stop still being in the same place today although John Barleycorn he is no more. Always preferred to catch posh Blue Bus at Cinder Hill though, as the highlight would be watching 6 wheeled trolley buses negotiating the then tiny island  in the hope the poles would come off - which they often did! Was nice to get on a nice plush MGO Bristol for the journey home. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I doubt that I would say the same thing now about what has become Trent/Barton. I still travel into Nottingham on them from time to time and I have to say the buses are right rattle traps. And they are not old by any manner or means.

I definitely liked the E8s and F5s in preference to the NCTs 63s, when I lived at Wollaton. They were invariably modern Bristols, compared with the old AECs on the 63 ! 

• Like 1

One thing I do remember. On the 16A at Wollaton rd/ Coventry lane Xroads if one got on at that terminus, they couldn't go all the way to town. They had to get off at forest road but weren't allowed back on again. It was deemed as poaching blue bus customers, who's bus bus stop was just round the corner on Wollaton rd., outside a paper shop .

14 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Somebody refresh me memory please. Where was the Wimpey estate ?

I think it could vary, depending on your location. To me, Wimpey Estate was the place next to Clifton, and eventually became known as Silverdale.

• Upvote 1

If one was intending going into town from the crossroads, the MGO bus from outside the paper shop was infinitely quicker ! 

I totally agree Fly. It was a more direct route and you didn't have stops every 150 bloody yards. Likewise, you couldn't catch a blue bus to town after Crown island or were not allowed to get off until you had cleared the NCT 39 route.

The Wimpey estate Loppylugs is referring to is on Stockhill Lane, just along from Cinderhill Park. They built a fire station there too.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have a childhood memory of the number 22 bus, and I wonder if I imagined it or not. Don't know, now that Rob237 or Chulla is no longer with us, whether anyone else rode that bus other than me? My memory is of the old route going along Dulverton Vale, over Bells Lane to the Little Park and turning left up Amesbury Circus, stopping at the junction of Deepdene Way. Everyone off at this terminus,  then the bus reversing on to Deepdene and parking. Then reversing this bit of the route back to town. Later they changed this bit, the bus turned up Bells Lane, right onto Ainsdale Crescent, and right onto Deepdene. I have a memory of the Corporation not liking the buses reversing back round a corner, so changed the route. Anyone remember this?

39 minutes ago, katyjay said:

I have a childhood memory of the number 22 bus, and I wonder if I imagined it or not. 

Does this old thread - and my original post - help ?  The 22 is shown, but bear in mind it's 1940s.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/7151-nottm-bus-routes-1940s/?tab=comments#comment-91118

6 hours ago, katyjay said:

I have a childhood memory of the number 22 bus, and I wonder if I imagined it or not. Don't know, now that Rob237 or Chulla is no longer with us, whether anyone else rode that bus other than me? My memory is of the old route going along Dulverton Vale, over Bells Lane to the Little Park and turning left up Amesbury Circus, stopping at the junction of Deepdene Way. Everyone off at this terminus,  then the bus reversing on to Deepdene and parking. Then reversing this bit of the route back to town. Later they changed this bit, the bus turned up Bells Lane, right onto Ainsdale Crescent, and right onto Deepdene. I have a memory of the Corporation not liking the buses reversing back round a corner, so changed the route. Anyone remember this?

No reversing was permitted by NCT when routes changed to OMO. Many routes had to be modified to accomadate rhis ruling.

I knew the 22 route very well having done many a shift on 1,7 & 22 when they ran from Bulwell  & later Bilborough depots.

The present service 79 basically covers all those 3 routes combined in to one route these days.

• Like 4
On 8/9/2019 at 9:17 PM, Deepdene Boy said:

Compo, the bus in your photo is an AEC Regent III, with Park Royal bodywork.

Many thanks Deepdene boy.

thumbsup