Why not? If it's still sealed, the contents should be fine. After all, you're not going to eat the wrapper. You could argue that the wrapper would be covered in bacteria but if you bought that same item in a shop, you have no way of knowing how many people have handled it nor whether it's been dropped on the floor during shelf stacking. If you started to think that way, you'd never eat anything.

• Upvote 3

Radfordred you reminded me of an incident a couple of weeks ago. My mum and I went out to eat one evening, one of the most popular restaurants in Neive the next village to us. I had their ravioli to start with and had to send them back as they were too salty for me. They swapped for another starter no problem. I had nearly finished the tagliarini when under the forkful of pasta I unearthed a mosquito. Now we did eat outside but if it had been on the top I would have just left it but as it was underneath I complained once again. The staff were very apologetic and embarrassed. It does happen if you eat out but it's the first time it has happened to me to send 2 dishes back in the same evening 

Howver they didn't charge me 

Way back when I was learning my trade, we didn't have washing facilities down pits, and there were no toilets in the districts, so come snap time, filthy oily hands, to keep our snap clean we used the wrapping from the bread to wrap our sandwiches in, tear a piece off to hold the sandwich. When it came to the fruit, kind of got a bit dirty, and if you'd been up the road and done our "duty" could have been a few germs from that on our hands too.

I've heard these stories about what life was like down the pits. I heard them from a mate who was a window cleaner down Babbington.

• Upvote 1

I remember a gripe in the press some years ago that the most germ laden things you could handle was money. Think of how many hands your change has gone through before you get it.

We have paper dollar bills, I read a little quip recently, 'Do you ever wonder, when you get a dollar bill, if it was in tbe butt crack of a male stripper?' 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Similar problem arises if you are in your own home and something you are eating drops on the floor; would you pick it up and continue to eat it, or automatically throw it away ?

5 second rule applies...... (unless you are somewhere where the floor/ground is particularly filthy!)

I don't know about crap on the one dollar bill's Kath, but all larger denominations, used that is, have traces of drugs on them, like coke.

I won't have to worry about that then, the chances if having a $50 or $100 bill in my wallet, are remote, LOL. 

• Upvote 1

We used to a very obnoxious woman customer she always moaned about the price, quality, measure of her wine, one day she turned up with her own goblet for us to serve her wine in, the things we did to and in that glass before we opened up, it always made me chuckle when I watched her drinking out of it :P  

Moan at your peril.

• Upvote 1

Mate of mine helped out in a pubs kitchen which gets quite a few mentions on here, only a few days ago (its not Bulwell) he told me any uneaten/untouched roast potatoes from the Sunday Lunch where how you say recycled ...... Shocking. 

#40.

I think you are referring to the Ernehale ? My sister lives around the corner less than 2 minutes walk & she prefers the Samuel Hall in Sherwood ! Say no more.

I once complained to an assistant at the old Food Giant in Bulwell. She was serving on the deli counter &kept coughing in her hands & continuing to serve.

also a chip shop on Highbury Road where an assistant kept licking her fingers while wrapping the chips, I don't think I'll bother I told her !

• Upvote 1