John Player's Radford factories

I used to live at 24 Player Street, Radford 1969- 19777 just opposite where the Players Factory Fire engines were situated,

Welcome Carol B; you might recognise the scene here. It's the corner of Player Street where the fire engines lived (just to the right of the white wall) so your house would have been behind the excavator. I took this around 2000 when the buildings were being demolished.

player%20street.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My aunt worked at Radford Player's for most of her life. Even when she retired I believe she qualified for some free fags each month as a pension supplement.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I worked at Players the summer holiday of 1966, on the Embassy/Number 6 lines, racing around on the teleflex replenishing the slides and hulls. The tobacco dust was swept off the floor and re-used for Number 6, but not for Embassy. Also spent some time in the bond, and on the first day was shown a cheque for some huge amount to be paid as duty, and filling the hoppers for the machines which, as I recall, were all made in Italy. Spent a few days on the pipe tobacco floor on the whiskey flake line; I seem to remember it was half an hour on and fifteen minutes off. Does anyone know Sandra Rine by any chance?  I resolved never to clock on again.

• 5 months later...

I've moved this post to a relevant thread where there are quite a few old Player's photos. (or used to be, until Photobucket went awkward)

There is also a large Flickr album of old Player's photos, which is mentioned somewhere in this preceeding thread, but here's a link for it again anyway.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/50284741@N02/4906606685/in/photostream/