I am a new member, I was born in Lenton and as a child during the war I used to visit Wollaton Park and chat to the American Servicemen.I was fascinated by them as a (Race), They often asked me "If I had a Sister Kid" and at 8 years of age I didn,t realise the relevance of this question ! They gave me chewing and Hershey Bars and I looked in wonder at their uniforms. on one occasion I  was resting my foot on a tree stump holding some barbed wire, and the Guard said to me "Take your foot of that kid or I will f.....g shoot you" needless to say i moved very quickly.

Anyone else remember the Yanks at Wollaton park ?

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Trevor. Hope you enjoy the site. Look forward to reading more of your memories. I'm a bit too young to remember the Yanks in Nottingham but often heard my mum mention them. She was 13 when the war broke out. She didn't like the yanks but later on was quite enchanted by the Polish servicemen in Nottingham. 

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

but later on was quite enchanted by the Polish servicemen in Nottingham. 

Sparrowski? :rotfl:

Well, she did have a dancing partner whose name was Stanislaus. Apparently, he was much older than she and quite the gentleman. They went dancing together and out for meals. Purely platonic but she was very fond of him. She always assumed that he returned home after the war ended but many Polish servicemen didn't, for obvious reasons.