Which Photo Shop?

Which version of Photoshop does the panel recommend for home use and why?  Thinking of installing but have no idea what to buy.

Cheers,
Compo

The version I have cost me over $400 over ten years ago 7.0.1,  a little dated now but a professional version. My advise is take a look at Corel Paintshop tutorials on Youtube, it's not an expensive software but very, very user friendly and has so many "bells and whistles" 

I think, from my own experience, it's the best photo editing software on the market.

Here's their site....http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/standard/?sourceid=psp9-xx-ppc_brkws&x-source=ppc_brkws&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--DLBRCNARIsAFIwR27rZUz9St_UcKYCEcNu176dJT5SJcE_bCi_TF1tMFTVc-setjgdxC0aAqL2EALw_wcB

• Upvote 1

I use ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5. It will not be as good as Paint Shop, but does what I want it to do. You can get it on a free download. Mine came with my scanner. I used to use Microsoft's Picture It Publishing programme, but, like Photobucket, they just stopped it without a by-your-leave when Windows Me went to a later version, and there is no download to get it back. PhotoStudio is quite simple and you soon get used to it. Just drag and drop an image from a file straight into it and work from the toolbar that drops down.

14 hours ago, Compo said:

Which version of Photoshop does the panel recommend for home use and why?  Thinking of installing but have no idea what to buy.

Do you mean specifically Photoshop as made by Adobe, or are you including any other image editing programme ?

You can no longer buy Photoshop, you can only rent it for a monthly figure (apart from Photoshop Elements, the basic stripped-out version).

The one I often use is Pixlr   https://pixlr.com/  which is almost PS Elements under another name.

And another slightly more complex one, is Gimp  https://www.gimp.org/   which is a bit more advanced and complex.

• Upvote 1

You think Paintshop Pro 7 is ancient?? I'm still using 3, I'm seriously considering buying the latest version as it has many newer "bells and whistles"I  like, seeing the Youtube videos.

Please, when referring to this software us the correct term, Photo editing software, less confusion then. Photoshop the old Photo Impact were the top photo editing software at one time. Corel beat Adobi at their own game and much cheaper when they first bought out Paintshop for around 20 bucks, it would do everything the amateur photographer needed.

Adobi then produced their cut down version of Photoshop called Elements, it was so cut down it was given away free with scanners and cheap digital cameras.

Since the takeover of Photo Impact, Corel has progressed into producing the best photo editing software at the best prices. They do have a professional suite of software for both the video and still photo Pros. But even that software is not as expensive as Adobi's.

Many thanks for the links and advice, gang. I will take a look at the various suggestions over the weekend.

• 1 month later...

I had an oldish version of Photoshop (CS3) that worked well on my old Apple Mac running OS 10.6.8 but which kept crashing on my new Mac running OS 10.12.

Rather than rent the latest version of Photoshop from Adobe I have bought for about £50 Affinity Photo. It is very well reviewed, it does virtually everything that Photoshop does and comes with a very thorough set of video tutorials. There is also a Windows version of it too.

Tim

Only used Photoshop a handful of times and found very confusing and not very user friendly at all. The programmes Cliff Ton suggested are the ones I use. I run Pixlr from my phone to edit photos quickly to share on various social media sites, and used GIMP on my laptop previously. I find that for what I need to do with my photos, I don't really need anything to fancy so just stick to the bog standard Windows Photo Editor, alternatively, because my phone has such a high spec camera, I just play around with the contrast etc on that until I'm happy. 

I am a brilliant photographer and I get everything right first time so I don't need 'post processing' software....

I wish....

• 6 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, DJ360 said:

I am a brilliant photographer and I get everything right first time so I don't need 'post processing' software....

I wish....

And when you were younger when the Nottingham air was smoggy,  before anyone other than a pro had a zoom lens, when fatties were a rarity,  you can now make those perfect photographs even better!

• Like 1