Why Do They Do It ?

Why do check out personnel at DIY stores mark paint can lids with a black permanent marker pen ?

Likewise, why are the tops of milk containers predominantly from convenience stores similarly marked ?

Why, on the Robin Hood line from Nottingham to Worksop do the southbound trains slow almost to walking pace just south of Basford Crossing, but the northbound ones travel at normal speed ? Is there some weird and obscure speed restriction just on that section of track ?

Help please !

There is a section of track between Bulwell & Basford crossings FLY where there is only a single track like a lot of places on that line, the wait can seem quite long but still with waiting the journey time is much quicker than the tram !

What really gets my goat is the amount of space on trains for cycles, not enough luggage space imo, have seen some cyclists almost on the point of having a stroke because someone had left a big heavy suitcase or pushchair in their beloved cycle space. If they really want to wear silly plastic hats & Lycra clothing why not ride the bleddy bike instead of clogging up space on a train !!

• Upvote 2

Mamils, Middle Aged Men In Lycra, heard that one last night and thought it was funny

Rog

• Upvote 1

Re #2 This is only a relatively new thing Catfan, as the north and south trains passed virtually on Basford Crossing, and the gates were open and shut quickly. Now it takes longer to get over as the gates are shut twice. 

Marvellous ! That's progress for you !

The crossing outside our house has two speed limits.  Going towards Inverness it is 60MPH but coming from Inverness it is 30MPH. The reason is that when approaching from the Inverness direction there is a bend which slightly obscures the driver's view of the crossing - safety first, as they say.

• 2 months later...

Why does every household (well that I know anyway) keep cleaning stuff under the kitchen sink, bleach,soaps,polish etc, always have done ever since I can remember, even hid the stuff under the kitchen sink when it only had a little curtain across it

Rog

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2017 at 2:51 PM, catfan said:

What really gets my goat is the amount of space on trains for cycles, not enough luggage space imo, have seen some cyclists almost on the point of having a stroke because someone had left a big heavy suitcase or pushchair in their beloved cycle space. If they really want to wear silly plastic hats & Lycra clothing why not ride the bleddy bike instead of clogging up space on a train !!

I quite agree. my lycra days are long gone (on the bike at least),

I use the tram paths to get just about everywhere on my bike - town, Clifton etc. If it's raining, the bus pass gets used and the bike stays at home/

PS the silly plastic hat saved my life when I got trashed by a taxi driver resetting his satnav instead of stopping for a red light. The pictures of the windscreen are quite sobering

• 2 years later...

RR

Re face masks ....we have to do it and wait til you get into phase two and see what Boris says about it. Yes its a nuisance having to remember to wear them but we've been there before you. This virus has been undermined by quite a few countries mainly UK and USA and look at the results. Some countries have been out of lockdown a while but we've only just come into 2nd phase this week. Yes we're being cautious and there are still some stupid selfish folks who think they're immune. Wearing them alone in your car may seem to be ridiculous but you never know when you are going to be stopped and asked why you're not wearing one. I do it just so I don't forget to put it on when I get out of my car.

Last night my husband and I went out to a restaurant. We both had our masks on, went into the restaurant , I slipped mine down to my chin when both proprietors asked us to put them straight. At that point we were the only 2 customers in as it was very early. We sat at the table , the order was taken and 2 bottles of water came in  plastic disposable bottles, the wine was offered. Eventually the food arrived and we were able to take our masks off, but we couldn't sit close to each other and had to sit opposite. Now the beauty of this scene will be compulsory for the next few months at least and the strangest thing was that the restaurant belongs to my daughter and her ex husband. They have to see that everyone entering has to abide by the rules as the fines are beyond belief for the customers and proprietors alike.

Yesterday afternoon we went to a garden centre in fact quite a few and it was very hot, still wearing masks and gloves. In one centre our temperatures were taken and we were asked to put on gloves. The supermarket type gloves were out of stock so my husband had to wear plastic bags over his hands whilst I keep a supply of latex gloves in my bag.

This has become our norm and if it doesn't become yours I will be very surprised and disappointed with Boris.

Don't criticise anything that you find strange in other countries because it may become your norm. Everyone needs to be safe and by obeying the rules we can be safe, flaunt the rules and take the consequences.

I hope this post doesn't come across as being a Nellie Know-all but no doubt some of you you have dear ones that have contracted this virus and no doubt blaming them for passing it on. My mum still is positive and I blame someone . I want this thing to pass as soon as possible so everyone stay safe and protect yourselves and others.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

On Bramcote Lane today I was asked if I would take a photo of 4 ladies/girls huddled together posing outside the hairdressers where they work, wearing aprons, face shields & face masks etc, I did shout "smile" I'm still wondering if they did smile?   

• Like 2