The trolley buses had a battery pack behind the driver that provided emergency power. 

Dave, yeas the milk, bread and grocery floats were lead acid batteries, motor was a series wound for greater torque, same as the trolley buses.

Floats would last a full day, not sure of the distance though.

We used battery locos underground for hauling the manriding cars and taking supplies to the face, they would have a shift and a half of full use, but we limited them to a shift, brought them to the surface and changed the battery pack, 9 tons of it!! Loco would be fitted with a charged battery and the discharged battery put on charge, about ten hours.

I'd hate an electric car around here, would be forever getting it towed home with a dead battery.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pollution ? What pollution ? Nothing like the fog, smog & pea soupers of years ago where you couldn't see in front of your nose, bus conductors having to walk in front of buses, household chimneys

Reading in the paper today it seems there is a difference of opinion as to how much trouble the pollution really causes with one eminent doctor saying they over egging the pudding again.   H

Test driving a new Leaf? Hope you didn't turn it over, Den! 

Sometime in the late '50s (I was still at school) I saw an electric car on Canal St. I saw it a couple of times driven by an elderly gent who wore very formal clothes that included a winged collar.

I don't know if it was one of these but the nearest picture I can find is of an American Detroit Electric Car. It looked the same (from memory) but then again it was fifty years ago.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailv2&imgurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.detroitelectric.org%2fimages%2fdetroit+at+GG.JPG&purl=&iss=sbi&adlt=strict

I've searched in vain to find a British car but there doesn't appear to be any and no one I've spoken to can remember it, I didn't dream it honest!

Looks like Youtube are now charging for the earlier electric car movie.

For anyone interested here is a link to the sequel which is still free.  Only just started watching it so can't give an opinion yet but it looks interesting.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that Loppy. Just watched it. Being deaf I missed the voice overs but got most of the rest by lip reading. There did not seem to be a serious comment about the real cost of energy usage and the long term battery recycling. It showed cheap green energy being produced - geothermal in Iceland, solar farms in California and wind farms in windy places. Not really what we have here in abundance in Europe. It looks like Nissan are the winners by offering a modest, every day car. .  

Congestion charges are next to hit the motorists, After London a lot of other cities are considering the idea. Another way of raising revenue not cutting emissions I believe to be the true reason behind this idea. The same as other council's now planning to follow Nottingham City Council's much hated Work Place Parking Levy. Just another legalised con.

• Upvote 1

Yes Dave, many companies have pulled out of the city as a result of this. Rumour has it that Imperial Tobacco ( Players) moved production abroad cheap labour as well.

Cost about £400 per car per year.

60.   That's crazy and greedy, not necessarily in that order.  I would have thought that the employers owned the ground the cars are parked on so the city has no reason to collect from them, destroying jobs in the process.  Motorists are already overtaxed to use the roads.  Nothing changes for the better does it?

I suppose very few businesses owned their own premises. Especially the larger ones. If they did, surely they would be within their rights to tell the council to get stuffed !

Not true. Any company owned car parks within the city are charged the WPL if more than 10 spaces ? are provided, it doesn't matter who owns the land. The WPL still applies. Same as a tax on jobs.

Remember, someone has to fund the tram!

Wait until radfordred comes along, he lost his job when Imperial closed their Horizon factory.

• Upvote 1

Nottingham workers pay a higher rate of tax if you add the WPL than elsewhere in the country, why would anyone want to live in Nottingham unless they were unemployed? Take a trip to Nottingham's slab square this afternoon it will be full of skint EU migrants, about time Nottingham opened its eyes, its dying on its arse. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Go for it but have someone video you trying to get in and out of it we could all do with a laugh..

Picky picky picky..............    sigh.... I do my best..... I pay my rates......  :(

Wot ya need Phil., is someone to follow you around then when you want to get on your bike they would just crouch down and you could step on. Then they run along aside you and when you want to dismount, Hey Presto ! they crouch down and of you get. Simples. The Romans did it, why not you ?

No need really, fatigue and gravity will ensure you dismount at some point. It may not be where or when it's convenient but...   

You could call him a 'Stirrup Boy' nice ring to it don't you think? There must be plenty of non workers down in Nottingham square. Or trawl around top valley or crabtree.