They say they do about 100 miles between charges, fat lot of good to me when I drive to Harrogate, Stafford, Wolverhampton, Blackpool, Southampton & Portsmouth on a regular basis. Might make it to Stafford & Wolverhampton but be chockered for the others...

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pollution ? What pollution ? Nothing like the fog, smog & pea soupers of years ago where you couldn't see in front of your nose, bus conductors having to walk in front of buses, household chimneys

Reading in the paper today it seems there is a difference of opinion as to how much trouble the pollution really causes with one eminent doctor saying they over egging the pudding again.   H

Test driving a new Leaf? Hope you didn't turn it over, Den! 

An article in the Times today says that electric cars have to travel as far as 50,O00 miles to match the carbon footprint of a petrol model because of the massive amount of energy consumed during the production process. Making an electric car generates high levels of greenhouse gas emissions, mainly because of its battery pack and other environmentally expensive materials. The politicians who want to send us ‘electric’ seem to focus just on the tailpipe emissions which is just too simplistic. I think that cleaner, conventionally fuelled cars is the way to go.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

You mentioned in your other 'electric car ' thread (!!!)  that people focus too much on the exhaust emissions from conventional cars.  Have you ever pushed a toddler in a buggy along a busy street in rush hour in a city?

Well it’s true that electric cars don’t put out emissions per se. Those come from the power stations where a lot of the electricity still doesn’t come from renewable resources. The fact is that electric cars consume a massive amount of energy during the production process, far more than conventional internal combustion engines, so they are not environmentally friendly when all the facts are taken into account.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

You mentioned in your other 'electric car ' thread (!!!)  that people focus too much on the exhaust emissions from conventional cars.  Have you ever pushed a toddler in a buggy along a busy street in rush hour in a city?

I well remember holding mams hand on Sneinton Rd and standing at the edge of the pavement until a bus had passed. For some reason the tailpipe on the busses were on the nearside (pavement side), and as they pulled hard up the incline blasted me in the face with the exhaust - I quickly learned to hold my breath.

Another problem with electric cars is their massively increased performance capability - and the likely increase in accidents and insurance premiums.

An average Tesla can do 0-60 in 3 or 4 seconds….more than twice as fast as the average ‘normal’ car.  In the hands of nervous beginners, or over-confident idiots or boy-racers, they could be lethal.

• Like 3

... but the accidents aren’t the car’s fault - it’s the drivers!

... and I don’t care what they sound like as long as the car gets us to where I want to go, that’s all that matters to me.

also it’ll soon be just autonomous cars so   people’s attitudes will change about lots of these issues anyway!

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

An average Tesla can do 0-60 in 3 or 4 seconds….more than twice as fast as the average ‘normal’ car. In the hands of nervous beginners, or over-confident idiots or boy-racers, they could be lethal.

Very true CT ....... my husband test-drove a Tesla a few months ago and couldn’t believe the acceleration it had.  He reckoned he reached 100 mph on the slip road onto the M27, I’m just glad I didn’t accompany him on that little jaunt (the salesman didn’t go with him either due to Covid restrictions).  For now he’s not bothered about going electric due to the restricted range, mind you driving like that he’d only get about 100 miles between charges.  
Today he’s bought a 1937 Morris 8 so he won’t be picking up speeding tickets in that little motor! 

Lizzie, Paul says his first car was a 1947  Morris 10.  He bought it for £30 from an Auntie in the early 60s

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Or some bloody do-goodercomes along with a rake and brush and sweeps it up, bags it and put it on the compost.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

For some reason I saved my receipt from when I last filled up, never took more than £50 to fill me rocket

1st June 34.57 Ltr @ £1.709 £59.08

30th June 35.92 Ltr @ 1.899 £68.21

Just nipped into Pure Electric on Maid Marian Way, pick my two wheeled rocket up Sat/Mon, I'm saving the planet.

FWgZ7tcUUAAZZkc?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

I've just bought a bike. Wish I hadn't sold the last one I had. Sick of giving oil companies my money!

Phil, it would appear that it's quite normal for males to use 'step through' cycles. I was only looking on you tube yesterday at an article about 'why riders don't wear helmets in Holland'. The interesting thing was, that most cyclists use step through as they don't like crossbars. As one pointed out, "If you've got little Jimmy sitting in a child seat, you don't want to whack him in the head when climbing on the bike. There were a number of reasons why they don't like crossbars, another being, if you brake hard, you could slide forward off the seat and crush your nether regions on the bar. B.