That little blue square with the question mark is an image placeholder that is telling you that it couldn't load the image. Internet Explorer uses a small square with a red x in it and Firefox uses a small ripped page icon. 

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if its just me, but NS is becoming almost unusable on my ipad.   Long waits for a thread to come up and when it does scrolling just locks up again and again.

It is like it was a few weeks ago before CT deleted some material.  I don't think there is a problem on my ipad because other sites seem just fine.

For some reason things are o-k on my laptop, but I like to log in now and then through the day and the ipad is more convenient.  At least it was.

Any ideas?

Just discovered something for us iPad users.  I am using Firefox on the iPad.   Out of curiosity I logged in on Safari.  Everything seems to be o-k.  So it looks like some kind of issue with Firefox.  I will dig in to Firefox a bit more and see if I can fix it.  If I do I'll let you know.

I don't know whether iPads get full, but I NEVER save ANYTHING I've browsed.

I also double press the button when I'm looking at the screen, and it shows every screen I've been on, such as Safari, games, cloud, emails, in fact everything. I then with one finger move every screen upwards, and it disappears. 

I checked for IPad updates and downloaded the latest.  Things are much better now so the problem must have been in Firefox.

I also had to switch totally off and then reboot it before the update loaded.  I have a bad habit of just flipping the cover shut.  This turns off the screen but it does not reboot, just comes straight up the next time you open the cover.

Probably a good policy to switch it totally off now and then.  That would totally clear memory etc.. So, problem solved for now.  :)

Plenty of spare memory in the iPad.  Unless you would save a lot of photos, videos etc.. So memory was not the issue.