At the meet-up today, there was a mention of Truman's Vaults (before I was old enough to go in pubs) which used to be on Beastmarket Hill. The question was - exactly where on Beastmarket Hill.

This was it on the far right.

QZFM0N1.jpg

Today's equivalent looks like this. The Burton building on the corner has survived. So Truman's disappeared under the hideous Lloyds Bank building. And the building which is now "The Bank" is not quite as old as it looks.

ngxH9rq.jpg

• Upvote 4

#1. As I was telling Cliff Ton yesterday in the Ludd:

Have mentioned this before. When the building in the lower picture was built, replacing the Fifty Shilling Tailors (didn't they move down Wheeler gate, and the King's Restaurant move to Yates'?), someone  wrote to the Evening Post complaining that Nottingham didn't want old-fashioned architecture like that. When you see what was later built next door I bet he was pleased.

I heard that the Guinness sign, seen in top picture, before the war was a more complicated affair - an animated neon display. Apparently, it featured a cricket match with the ball being hit and fielded. I was told that it stopped the traffic as motorists pulled up to watch it.

Ref the picture of Truman's showroom (which has had I don't know how many occupants since), just look at that lovely misty evening, which many of us remember as being a regular experience when we were young.