Russ BDL

Kong Nam Chinese hurts yard 1960's

Russ BDL    0

Eyup

This is my first post, I read the rules so I think I've got it all right.

My dad used to goto The Kong Nam in the 60's, I think him and his mates were their best Customers.

I went there once in the late 80's.

It has long gone but the man my dad used to always talk about ( he never knew his name but they used to call him Minder steeper stair as that is what he used to say to them on the way out )

Now this man opened Welcome Chinese take away on wood borough road, it was along time ago when my dad saw him there (he still remembered my dad and said 'ah hello Mr Keith)

Does anybody have any photos or more info on the restaurant or its former owners as it would be great to show it to my dad who is now 75 and still talks fondly of his many visits there

Thanks

Russ 

Cliff Ton    5,492
Jill Sparrow    3,634

I remember the Kong Nam. Think I may have been there once, many moons ago,

Didn't  Nonsuch also used to be in Hurt's Yard when it first opened? It later moved to Western  Boulevard.

Mess    156

Me and one or two college mates used to have lunch in The Kong Nam once a week when I was at People's College 1966-9. They had a brilliant 3 course lunch which was great value for money. I think it was there I had my first Chinese curry.

IIRC it took over the Windmill Cafe but the little windmill mouted on the wall outside on Angel Row remained for several years

I remember the owner well. He would always greet you on arrival with the enquiry "table for how many?" Happy days.

letsavagoo    160

I remember this well although I couldn't place exactly where it was. No street level presence, straight up a flight of stairs. I used to go fairly often with my wife for the business mans lunch. Excellent value. I used to occaisionally see the couple who ran it knocking about long after it closed and they would always say hello.

Cliff Ton    5,492
13 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Didn't  Nonsuch also used to be in Hurt's Yard when it first opened? It later moved to Western  Boulevard.

Apparently.  

ko01csG.jpg

Jill Sparrow    3,634

That's the one, CT. Loved the smell of that shop and bought a few bits and pieces there in the 70s.

katyjay    3,301

I dont think the Kong Nam was very far up Hurt's Yard, we seemed to turn into it pretty much as soon as entering the yard from Long Row. Hubby was given luncheon vouchers at work, he didn't use them daily, but would save them up and we'd eat at a restaurant on a Saturday while in town shopping. The K.N.'s 3 course meal was excellent (especially for free!)

catfan    8,746

Just finished a very nice chat with my mate in the ROI, Ian Dawson.

Ian was a regular at the Kong Nam in Hurts Yard, the owner was a bloke named Mr Keith Sin who also owned another restaurant on the bottom end of Derby Road opposite St Barnabas Cathedral named "Hamoy" or similar, the Kong Nam was in Hurts Yard from the '60s,(I remember going in there myself in '69,) until the '90s. Mr K Sin was quite an old bloke.

Many of the waiters shared a house on the same street as Ian he recalls knowing them very well & except for beds in the house there was no other furniture, the waiters full time passion was playing cards !

• Upvote 1

Mess    156

There's a nice picture showing the Kong Nam signage here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=737748499748178&set=gm.799552426889970&type=3&theater&ifg=1

The little windmill below it was associated the Windmill Café which The Kong Nam took over.

As a kid I was fascinated by that windmill sign which used to be illuminated.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12179-the-windmill-café/?tab=comments#comment-221633

Mess    156

Oops. Sorry you weren't acknowledged Cliff. I knew I'd seen it somewhere before.There's a lot of plagiarism goes on between the various Nottingham sites.

Cliff Ton    5,492

No problem ;)  

More and more I'm discovering that I like the surprise of finding one of my pictures on other sites. A lot of my "Nottingham from Above" images have spread around; and quite a few of my own real photos crop up in other places. In most cases they started their life here.