Kong Nam Chinese, Hurts yard 1960's

Eyup

This is my first post, I read the rules so I think I've got it all right.

My dad used to goto The Kong Nam in the 60's, I think him and his mates were their best Customers.

I went there once in the late 80's.

It has long gone but the man my dad used to always talk about ( he never knew his name but they used to call him Minder steeper stair as that is what he used to say to them on the way out )

Now this man opened Welcome Chinese take away on wood borough road, it was along time ago when my dad saw him there (he still remembered my dad and said 'ah hello Mr Keith)

Does anybody have any photos or more info on the restaurant or its former owners as it would be great to show it to my dad who is now 75 and still talks fondly of his many visits there

Thanks

Russ 

• Like 1

Welcome Russ BDL.  

I never went there, and I don't know exactly where the Kong Nam was within Hurt's Yard, but here are 18 photos of Hurt's Yard at various times in its life. Maybe your dad will be able to recognise something from some of them.   

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library.html?keywords=hurts yard

• Upvote 1

Me and one or two college mates used to have lunch in The Kong Nam once a week when I was at People's College 1966-9. They had a brilliant 3 course lunch which was great value for money. I think it was there I had my first Chinese curry.

IIRC it took over the Windmill Cafe but the little windmill mouted on the wall outside on Angel Row remained for several years

I remember the owner well. He would always greet you on arrival with the enquiry "table for how many?" Happy days.

I remember this well although I couldn't place exactly where it was. No street level presence, straight up a flight of stairs. I used to go fairly often with my wife for the business mans lunch. Excellent value. I used to occaisionally see the couple who ran it knocking about long after it closed and they would always say hello.

I dont think the Kong Nam was very far up Hurt's Yard, we seemed to turn into it pretty much as soon as entering the yard from Long Row. Hubby was given luncheon vouchers at work, he didn't use them daily, but would save them up and we'd eat at a restaurant on a Saturday while in town shopping. The K.N.'s 3 course meal was excellent (especially for free!)

At the Kong Nam in Hurts Yard, the owner was a bloke named Mr Keith Sin who also owned another restaurant on the bottom end of Derby Road opposite St Barnabas Cathedral named "Hamoy" or similar, the Kong Nam was in Hurts Yard from the '60s,(I remember going in there myself in '69,) until the '90s. Mr K Sin was quite an old bloke.

Many of the waiters shared a house on the same street 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

There's a nice picture showing the Kong Nam signage here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=737748499748178&set=gm.799552426889970&type=3&theater&ifg=1

The little windmill below it was associated the Windmill Café which The Kong Nam took over.

As a kid I was fascinated by that windmill sign which used to be illuminated.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/12179-the-windmill-café/?tab=comments#comment-221633

Oops. Sorry you weren't acknowledged Cliff. I knew I'd seen it somewhere before.There's a lot of plagiarism goes on between the various Nottingham sites.

No problem ;)  

More and more I'm discovering that I like the surprise of finding one of my pictures on other sites. A lot of my "Nottingham from Above" images have spread around; and quite a few of my own real photos crop up in other places. In most cases they started their life here.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the replies.

Dad is here now loves the pics and memories it brings back.

Same owner used to own the  Nang  Kok (spelling might be wrong) which was replaced by Victoria Centre then he opened Kong Nam I believe? 

That BSM branch was where I took my course of 10 lessons back in January 1960. The school cars were parked in Trinity Square. Mine was a Vauxhall Victor with a three speed column change and front bench seat. Fortunately my father’s car was the same make and model. As soon as I passed my test he got a 2.4 Jag so that became the car I was driving at 17!

A front bench seat would have its advantages and the gear lever wouldn’t  be in the way! ;)

I’ve generally driven sports cars and whilst they might attract the girls there was not much you could do with them once seated!   smile2

• 3 years later...

Anyone remember the name of the Chinese restaurant which was near the end (ie the bottom) of either Talbot Street or Wollaton Street in Nottingham, just a little up from the stamp collectors shop opposite the Theatre Royal, and across from the Guamont cinema? Many thanks Mike.

I can remember the Chinese restaurant at the bottom of Wollaton Street. I often popped in for the set lunch, 3/6p I recall. Unfortnately, the name of the restaurant eludes me.

Anyone remembers the fish and chip shop opposite? it was there for years.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I can remember the Chinese restaurant at the bottom of Wollaton Street. I often popped in for the set lunch, 3/6p I recall. Unfortnately, the name of the restaurant eludes me.

The name is on the previous post, in the photo - Canton Restaurant.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Kong Nam Chinese, Hurts yard 1960's