Don't know if anything has been posted about Bunny on the Loughborough road between Nottingham and Loughborough,they had the brickworks/clay quarry and RHP bearing works there,not forgetting Bunny hall with its Victorian walled garden and the old inscription above the doorway to the village hall/meeting room, and between there and Nottingham was Bradmore,I think they had a munitions factory there but not sure from which war,any comments from anyone?

Rog

1 hour ago, plantfit said:

I think they had a munitions factory there but not sure from which war,any comments from anyone?

I posted this a couple of years ago in another thread, but it will fit here as well......

In the early 1940s, land in Far Street, Bradmore was requisitioned by the government for manufacturing parts for incendiary bombs (although the official line was that it was for milling magnesium). It was built on what was then known as Smedley’s Orchard and was disguised as farm buildings. Its use ended when the war finished. Local Bradmore people worked there, and there was also bus which brought workers from Ruddington.

New housing now occupies the site, but part of the factory wall is still there, and an old office and canteen building have survived as ruins if you know where to look (and can be seen on Streetview).

• Upvote 1

You had to be very careful machine working with magnesium,very easy for it to burst into a very bright white flame which was very difficult to extinguish

Rog

Alfred wheatcroft  and harry wheatcroft had a rose growing business in bradmore back in the 50,s but the 2 brothers fell out and harry left  In 1960 Harry eventually join his 3 sons and started a new firm called harry wheatcroft & sons (formerly called D.C. roses ltd)  on landmere  lane Edwalton.  I worked there for about a year,it was bloody hard work!!!!! I worked with harry on many occasions Jesus he was a slave driver. He live on Melton road the house was called  The Paddock.

• Upvote 2

Been visiting Wheatcrofts for many years. I remember there used to be a wall with lots of photographs of him back in the early days. Very flamboyant and quite a few pics with Royals, King George and Queen Mother etc.

Nice to see you posting, Don.

When we lived at Clifton in the 60s, a lady on our road used to look after Harry Wheatcroft's children from time to time, so we often saw him - moustache and Jaguar - driving past our house and parking a few doors away.

• 1 year later...

One of the brickworks chimney's being demolished in May 1995, the write up says the chimney's were 100 years old, two chimneys altogether one extracting smoke and fumes from what was locally called the new kiln and the smaller of the two chimney's extracted smoke/fumes from the old kiln, the old kiln chimney was about half the size of the one in the picture but it did have a steel section fitted to the top of the brickwork in the early 1980's, I took this photo of a Evening post newspaper cutting dayed May 23rd 1995, The brick company was called H J Baldwin and company LTD and as well as making bricks and clay cable covers for the electricity companies from their own clay quarry they also made pre cast concrete products including platform edges, cable troughs and lids for the rail industry, concrete beams used in the construction industry, apex cable covers as used for covering electric cables in trenches

P1060927.jpg

Rog

My granny lived at Rempstone so I used to travel through Bunny (and Bradmore) on the bus to see her. I remember the chimneys at Bunny but never knew until now that they made bricks there.

• Like 1

Thats what this site is all about Jonab, I worked at a quarry near Rempstone, about half a mile up that lane from the church, East Leake sand and gravel quarry, they used to hold the Rempstone steam rally in the fields before the quarry moved in

Rog

I very well remember the steam rallies run by the Beebies. Jack and Mary Beeby lived next door to my granny on Wymeswold Road. The had a son, Michael and a second son who "was not talked about". Just a bit further up Wymeswold Road were the engine sheds where I was once set upon by a load of angry geese. A bit further up from there on the opposite side, the Beeby's built a garage/filling station.

I see from GSV that the Beeby's are still active in Rempstone and my grannies house is still there, even though its front door and privy door have been bricked up. The engine sheds have gone - replaced by bungalows for townies.

• Like 1

I think that area is now caled "the old engine yard" on the right as you are leaving the village, I can remember about 17/18 years ago old Mr Beeby's funeral at Rempstone church just up from the cross roads, his coffin was bought up to the church on one of his old Fowler ploughing engines, very sad, the church was full, about 10 years ago the Beeby brothers held a ploughing match on one of their fields solely for steam and horse ploughing, once again the place was full,

Rog

Do you remember the Christian name of the Beeby whose funeral it was?

Michael Beeby was a year or two older than me (I'm now 73) but there were quite a few of them (Jack Beeby had two or three brothers) who all had offspring (I didn't know the other parts of the family except to say hello).

Can't remember Jonab,I know at the time everyone was saying "the old man" so whether he was the father i'm not sure, if I see my mate Gren I'll ask him, he was a farmer from Gotham and seemed to know all the farming families around there

Rog

Edited to add  http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrIQg2MsKdbhj8AfLV3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZzJoOXByBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1537745165/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fdiscovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk%2fdetails%2fr%2ffde7b5d5-2292-479b-b00d-042d72deb3ab/RK=2/RS=PMIXxV1DIhxmZKzzrploCJnNqcc-

This might be of interest to you