Does anyone know what the  wall enclosed  that goes around the bottom of Bagnall Road and goes around onto Stockhill Lane.There is arched doorways that are stoned up and looks like it could have been some sort of castle years ago.

I think it's been mentioned in another topic, but I believe it was part of Basford Urban District Council buildings at one time.

The Crenelated ( castle – like) wall – all the remains of the old house and reminiscent of its early religious origins. These origins are shrouded in mystery , despite a lack of evidence many people believe that rock house was built on a ancient ecclesiastical site, probably a nunnery . when the foundations of the existing office block were being excavated in 1937 the shallow graves of 14 female skeletons were unearthed

Until it was demolished in 1982 , Rock House formerly Bolton Hall stood on the site . the house was originally purchased in 1850 by Rev Thomas Ambler Bolton , Curate of St Leodegarius , who spent the next 18 years transforming it into a splendid 25 room residence . from 1922- 1930 it was the home of the Basford Guardians who administrated parish affairs on a voluntary basis and were the forerunners of the local council .

• Upvote 7

We have driven passed this wall on the way to IKEA(& Blue Monkey Brewery)and we have wondered what the structure was.

Thank you all for this thread it has taught me a little more of the area where we have moved to :)

Victoria Station !

• Upvote 1

Exactly, and the Midland route via Melton Mowbray.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in Enigma's reply to the query about the crenelated wall on Bagnall Road. I have been trying to find out more about it as I live just round the corner from the wall. I have also read about the skeletons discovered in 1937 on the site and have been trying to find the source of this information, without success! Can Enigma let me know about the source of the information about the excavation in 1937 please?

Thanks!

• 3 years later...