I came across this a few months ago and know very little about it.

xW8Js9o.jpg

I can't find exactly where on Haydn Road the "Haydn Garage" was. The only garage on old maps was at the corner of Crossley Street and is now a tyre place, but the building on the right doesn't fit. According to the side of the van, head office was Gordon House, Gordon Rise, Mapperley, and that building still exists.

• Like 1

But it might be nothing to do with Haydn Road?  German or Austrian name it may be but it just might have been run by a Mr. Haydn.

I think the garage in question was on Hucknall Rd. just behind the PP Payne factory which was on the corner of Haydn Rd. and Hucknall Rd. There is housing on the site now. I can throw some light on Nova Seal. In the 50's an uncle of mine. Tom Mcalpine was in partnership with a man called Ralph Sells. My uncle came up with the idea of using ex MOD Bostick which was available in large quantities in 50 gallon drums to make a car underseal. There was some sort of agreement on which Sells reneaged. A court case ensued and my uncle won the vast sum (in those days) of around £75,000. He began to live the life of Riley. He bought a large house in Mapperly Park which used to belong to Tom Pearson of Pearson Brothers, a large American Oldsmobile 88 car, membership of Wollaton Park golf club and other things beyond the wildest dreams of our side of the family at the time. He gradually frittered the money away but not before he had bought a toy shop and an adjoining pram shop in Sherwood opposite the Metropole cinema. When all the money had run out he emigrated with his wife and children to Australia and even had to borrow £50 from a brother in law to pay for the sea passage. The younger members of the family, my cousins, are now happily living in Western Australia having done well for themselves and with whom I'm in contact. Uncle Tom, who originated from Scotland, was a Mosquito pilot in the RAF during WW2.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I think the garage in question was on Hucknall Rd. just behind the PP Payne factory which was on the corner of Haydn Rd. and Hucknall Rd.

Wasn't that the Teesdale Garage though, it's been mentioned on here before?

I think the garages I suggested were  not the Haydn Garage. I've been up and down the road on Google and can't see where it might have been. I travelled up and down Haydn Rd. from 1972 to 1997 and don't recollect a building that looked exactly like that.

Is that Del-boy in the picture........in the days when we actually looked under the Bonnet......mind you i never new what i was looking at,.....just a load of hot bits of metal and rubber.............and as Del-boy would say.........''i could'nt be doing wiv it.....................:wacko:

• Upvote 1

Trying to find the exact location of Haydn Garage, I've had a look at old telephone directories. It seems to have existed only during the 1950s (give or take a few years).

Unfortunately, in the phone books it's always listed as Haydn Garage, Haydn Road, Nottm. - it never gives an actual number. So it was on Haydn Road......somewhere.

Well the breakdown truck definitely states Hucknall Rd. Now on the map, the top arrow property still exists as a second hand car sales establishment. The lower one is just south of where Plumline are situated. A beauty parlour / nail place I believe,  so I'll have a walk / ride in the area when I've time and investigate.

Memory lapse Cliff. I'll still have a scout round when on my travels.

I think the Haydn Garage was situated between Victoria Rd and Cameron St, next to clothes factory, the building to the right. It's not marked as a garage on old maps but would be where the white van is here.....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/176+Haydn+Rd,+Nottingham+NG5+2LB/@52.9799061,-1.1518232,3a,75y,41.17h,95.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-JFLTXvWQR6aG1Kd-tF3Dg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x4879c1a12028c90f:0x340df647459f2ce6!8m2!3d52.9798985!4d-1.1538716

• Like 1