A few random photos - 6

I think this is the first I've done since Photobucket made a mess of things (although I've since repaired some of them).

Bus on Long Row outside Pearsons.

WveitOt.jpg

Victoria Station from high on Parliament Street. Clock tower in the distance, and much of the building on the left is the rear of the hotel.

uNDQx3I.jpg

Junction of Forest Road / Mansfield Road. The shops have somehow survived.

EpoQfee.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is the first I've done since Photobucket made a mess of things (although I've since repaired some of them).   Bus on Long Row outside Pearsons.   Victoria Statio

Just a random photo.. my wife was at the physio’s in Woodborough yesterday and for once I didn’t fancy waiting in the pub (must be sickening for something!)   Found a bench in the churchyard

Another random picture from yours truly...In the cab is my dad, standing on right is my Uncle Ken (dad's brother). The other fellow is Frank Fisher. They're in the gates of Grove Garage, on Greasley S

Great pics. In 3, no traffic lights then, makes you wonder how many policemen were required for point duties at any one time. Looks he's holding a sort of lamp/paddle in his hand, can't recall seeing that before.

Great pics cliff-ton..............love the Forest road one..........so recognisable even today..........just missed Mr Browns the West Indian barbers.......seems to have been there forever..............would think the picture even pre-dates him.

Went for a trim there about a year ago........West indian chap still there alas not Mr Brown................

The third picture I'd like to see in colour. There is only the age of the vehicles, plod, and the lack of traffic light that make it different to today. I reckon nowadays health & Safety would put a stop to plod standing in the middle of the road!  :mellow:

I'd love to see the Cops back in the middle of the road controlling the traffic.............but dancing and blowing a whistle like the New York Cops,

Bring a smile to some of the miserable drivers out there.........all hard faced and revving up to get to the next bottle neck afore yee,.............feel like shouting 'chill out....relax'...............and i do try when being given abuse by another driver to use that other great American saying ''you have a nice day''.............;)

But must admit.........when that don't work......they get some Anglo Saxon retorts..........must try harder............

• Like 1

Thanks Clif, what I like to see nostalgia!

Victoria Station never looks quite right with LMS locomotives. It should be a B1 and a O1. Good photo though.

Thanks for posting the pics again CT. #3 is so familiar to me. Cross the junction, walk up by the stone wall and turn into Chestnut Grove for the Children's Hospital (as it used to be). I went there a lot as a kid. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I remember going there too, PP. Fell downstairs as a child and injured my back. Had to lie on a board for 2 weeks but at least I was allowed to go home after x rays. Made a full recovery, never had back trouble since. I remember the hospital and its leafy surrounds. QMC just isn't the same.

I can remember the Childrens Hospital very well too. (Mainly a certain hospitally smell in there that I have never smelt in any other hospital). Can't for the life of me remember how we used to get into it. Was there another entrance off Mansfield Road, say opposite the end of Gregory Boulevard? Would have got on No 41, (mostly a trolley bus) at Cinder Hill and popped out the bottom of Sherwood Rise and got off somewhere on Mansfield Road. I don't remember walking as far up as Forest Road/Mapperley Road.

2 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Was there another entrance off Mansfield Road, say opposite the end of Gregory Boulevard? Would have got on No 41, (mostly a trolley bus) at Cinder Hill and popped out the bottom of Sherwood Rise and got off somewhere on Mansfield Road. I don't remember walking as far up as Forest Road/Mapperley Road.

I think there was only one entrance. From your bus, you could have gone up Mansfield Rd/St Andrews Rd and through the twitchell. Not far and came out near the hospital entrance.

Its the building below Jamia Al Hudaa. -  hmm. or it IS Jamia Al Hudaa!  I recognise the entrance on the left hand one of the larger buildings even from above and I think TBI is correct, I would have got into it from the twitchell off St. Andrews Road

Hopping off the 41 you had a choice, up Mansfield Rd turn left into St Andrews Rd, to the end left onto Thorncliffe Rd, right on to Thorncliffe Rise, then right again onto Berkeley Av. Or as my parents took me and I took my lad turn left at Mansfield Rd,  turn right onto Redcliffe Rd then right again on to Berkeley Av. Both routes led to the same place, I do believe that was the main entrance.

And yes it is the Jamia Al Hudaa complex.

Went there with my lad late 70s, I had been reloading 9mm ammunition and at the end of the session one had gone missing. I knew the lad had been in the room to see me but it was a fleeting visit, now I am missing an empty case or a round of ammo but don't know which. I eventually got him to admit he had touched what he shouldn't so whipped him up the Childrens, after much explaining and the funny looks they took and X-ray, there was the empty case, I retrieved it next day:rolleyes:

Its coming back slowly. My reasons for visiting the place were pretty pointless. Surely only motor buses would have gone up St Andrews Road? I would usually have been on a trolley. In fact the no. 41 from Cinder Hill is the only trolley bus I have knowingly ridden on.

Hubby was in the children's hospital in 1955 from August to  beginning of November and the only thing he can remember is the night sister singing " There's  a tiny house by a tiny stream" she sang it every night before putting the lights out.   He thinks the ward was called the " boiler ward" as it was in the basement recalls  there were no big window just very small ones.

Pianoman you are correct that's why I posted 'Hopping off the 41' either at the junction of Sherwood Rise and Gregory Blvd where the low level train station was and from there up Redcliffe Rd. Or I believe there was also a stop on Mansfield Rd near St Andrews Rd.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/18/2017 at 8:19 PM, Cliff Ton said:

I think this is the first I've done since Photobucket made a mess of things (although I've since repaired some of them).

Bus on Long Row outside Pearsons.

WveitOt.jpg

love the Silver Cross pram in Pearson's window and is the car an Hilman? or Wosley?

• Like 4

Wolseley 16/60 I reckon.

We bought a Silver Cross twin pram when the twins were born in 1973. We had originally ordered a standard single which had to be changed when we found out that double trouble was on the way, and even though we lived only a few miles from the Silver Cross factory in Guiseley, it took a couple of months before it was delivered.