A few random photos - 6

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is the first I've done since Photobucket made a mess of things (although I've since repaired some of them).   Bus on Long Row outside Pearsons.   Victoria Statio

Just a random photo.. my wife was at the physio’s in Woodborough yesterday and for once I didn’t fancy waiting in the pub (must be sickening for something!)   Found a bench in the churchyard

Another random picture from yours truly...In the cab is my dad, standing on right is my Uncle Ken (dad's brother). The other fellow is Frank Fisher. They're in the gates of Grove Garage, on Greasley S

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2018 at 1:33 AM, IAN123. said:

Built in 1912..due a mentionRampton-1970s.jpgRampton..1975.

I used to deliver sheets of glass there a few years ago for their building maintenance dept. Never saw the inmates & the security would put Fort Knox to shame !

Awful atmosphere all over the place.

5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Shippos had a very characteristic, distinctive flavour. It was immediately  recognisable. You either loved it or hated it. There was no middle ground. ;)

Possibly due to the proximity of the brewery to Gerards Soap Works and Basford Gas Works.

• Like 2

So you didn’t like it then! Years ago, when I was in the accountancy profession, Shipstones were clients of ours. It was normal then for the staff to drink on the job. At 11 every morning a crate of ale was delivered to our audit room. The office corridors had highly polished wooden parquet floors and after a couple of bottles they became highly dangerous to walk on. It certainly cured me of drinking Shipstones. Our other brewery client was Home Brewery. They were miserable buggers and we got nothing!

It was reincarnated at the Belvoir Brewery a few years ago and I tested it there but it didn’t seem to have the characteristic Shippos flavour I remembered. My wife did have to take over the driving though!  I gather it’s now brewed back on home turf. Now I’ve discovered that it’s beer that brings on gout attacks it can never pass my lips again!

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

So you didn’t like it then! Years ago, when I was in the accountancy profession, Shipstones were clients of ours. It was normal then for the staff to drink on the job. At 11 every morning a crate of ale was delivered to our audit room. The office corridors had highly polished wooden parquet floors and after a couple of bottles they became highly dangerous to walk on. It certainly cured me of drinking Shipstones. Our other brewery client was Home Brewery. They were miserable buggers and we got nothing!

I wasn't a fan, no but it was OK if there was nothing else available.

I recall when I was working at Gerard's I went over to Shippo's in a sales capacity* to try and get them interested in having their pub and brewery cleaning materials made by Gerard's. I well remember the wooden floors and the linenfold panelling it the visitors' reception room and also the "special" guests only-bottled beer which was served. Now, that was good and quite unlike any other Shippo's brew I've had.

*Note, I wasn't a salesman, I was a development chemist.

Arnold Rd.Ben...crisp and clean pint..went out me way to drink there..played 5-side and always had a drink after...this would be 1983- 1990.

Was it the Pear Tree further down?..on the corner of Park Lane..could rattle on all night about pubs.. sorry!!

• Like 1

Tavern was my local thru the 60s/70s only odd times in the 80s..........still a few of my old mates back then,,mostly gone now,,just loved the place,,called in a few years back at a funeral for Lennie Fisher proper old character,,ex Teddy Boy.........along with Lennie Warsop,,Ray Allsop,,Barry Machin,,Brian Fewkes,,Pete Warsop,,Stan Lownes,,Gilbert Odell,, and many others,,all that bit older than me,,but growing up with em was an experience you never forgot................and stood you in good stead for anything thrown your way in later years......shush, must stop waxing lyrical.........;)

Edit,,the Old Pear Tree.......thats another story......lol

• Like 1

They certainly were trogg,,but looking back they were good blokes in an old fashioned way,,well most anyway,,lol

When Donna came to live with me,,she had only known leafy villages down south,,and was to say the least 'a bit shocked' about the circles i mixed with,sometimes,but she adapted very quickly and loved Nottingham and Bulwell in particular,,and as always told me she'd never move back south even when i'm gone,,(she's much younger than me) she had never known any place like Bulwell,,............think she's still in shock.......lol

• Like 3
11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Was it the Park Tavern that had  all foreign coins glued to the counter flap?

The Savoy Hotel (Mansfield Road) had a bar top made of clear polyester resin embedded with recently defunct copper coins (post-1971?)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a random photo.. my wife was at the physio’s in Woodborough yesterday and for once I didn’t fancy waiting in the pub (must be sickening for something!)

Found a bench in the churchyard and spent a beautifully peaceful and contemplative half hour just sitting in the sun in a truly beautiful location ...

EDA6917-B-150-B-44-F0-8426-A269-FC722-A5

• Like 6

Think we all need times like this occasionally, especially when the sun is shining.

• Like 5
  • 4 years later...

I bought an all singing, all dancing Nikon camera on the advice of a keen photographer friend some years ago. It’s got built in zoom and I thought it would be good to snap all of the wildlife round here. Unfortunately every time I spot something it runs/flys away. Yesterday I heard the characteristic call of a woodpecker and I rushed to the door with the camera only to watch it fly away. All I’ve managed in the last eight years is a picture of a seagull in Scotland!