A few random photos - 6

A lazy Sunday at Highfields in late summer 1959.   I have always disliked being photographed and, at that age, reasoned that if I couldn't see the camera, it couldn't see me!  Mum and big sister enjoying the sun. Often went to Highfields. Happy days.  Thanks CT for posting the photo.

• Like 3
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is the first I've done since Photobucket made a mess of things (although I've since repaired some of them).   Bus on Long Row outside Pearsons.   Victoria Statio

Just a random photo.. my wife was at the physio’s in Woodborough yesterday and for once I didn’t fancy waiting in the pub (must be sickening for something!)   Found a bench in the churchyard

Another random picture from yours truly...In the cab is my dad, standing on right is my Uncle Ken (dad's brother). The other fellow is Frank Fisher. They're in the gates of Grove Garage, on Greasley S

Listen, if I kneel down on the floor these days, it takes me an age to get up again!  There are lots of photos like that one in my family albums. I'm either trying to hide or I'm blurred because I'm in the process of legging it.  Nowadays, I just hide behind the menu, like Ben! :Shock:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

All I’ve managed in the last eight years is a picture of a seagull in Scotland!

That's some zoom lens you've got!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Sometime not sure of the year Highfields froze.  I think I was a young teenager (yes fellows I was once)  I  took my ice skates down to Highfields,  bus into slab square then the Beeston bus which passed Highfields, It was great just skating out doors till it started getting dark, and I had to walk about 100yards to the bus stop. I did'nt walk though I ran.

• Like 1

I suppose that doesn't look too different today, apart from the absence of The Gaumont and The County Hotel. 

Oddly enough, I have a long case clock that is reputed to have come from The County Hotel.  Some friends of mine worked at Shipstone's Brewery in the offices, years ago. Also employed there was a man named Arthur who was a real magpie when it came to collecting things. Somehow, he acquired two long case clocks when The County Hotel was demolished. When he passed on, my friends ended up with the clocks. Some years ago, they gave one of them to me. It's a 'marriage', ie the case doesn't belong to the movement (or only part of it does) but it's quirky and it suits me. The clock maker lived in Great Dalby which has connections with my father's side of the family, so I was pleased to have it.  Yesterday, I moved it from the sitting room to the dining room. To do so necessitated dismantling it and reassembling it in its new position. Of course, it's now sulking but it will recover.

Great photo Clifton reminds me a times gone by, I had a Ford Zephyr as in the right hand corner of the photo. Mine was the 6 with a 2553cc engine, how did I afford the petrol, the best thing about it was the front bench seat, I say no more about that as I  am now a happily married man. 

• Like 1

Another random picture from yours truly...In the cab is my dad, standing on right is my Uncle Ken (dad's brother). The other fellow is Frank Fisher. They're in the gates of Grove Garage, on Greasley Street, Bulwell. The truck is the one I used to drive in c1968...img20190807-12594940-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

The County hotel used to make the best Pimms in Nottingham

May have shown this afore. At niece's wedding, May 22'. Just to show I do scrub up well ! Another random Notts photo...

007.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

How many Good Hotels have we lost   The County Hotel ,The Black Boy, The Flying Horse, to name  a few.

Goodness me, I’d completely forgotten about Jack Brentall’s. I used to go there for sheet music for my cello.

Yes Ian, do you have a peaked cap and can you commute from Canada. Also, you will need white gloves.  smokingkills 

I know the Nequest family quite well. The current family, direct descendants of Nequest music own Bunnys Bikes which have had a Nottingham presence for many years. They were on the corner opposite castle rock next to Kingstons motor cycle shop but moved when that was cleared for development in the 70’s to a shop next to the canal near the train station and again moved a few years back to their current shop at the Abbey Bridge end of Castle Boulevard. Nice family.