A few random photos - 6

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is the first I've done since Photobucket made a mess of things (although I've since repaired some of them).   Bus on Long Row outside Pearsons.   Victoria Statio

Just a random photo.. my wife was at the physio’s in Woodborough yesterday and for once I didn’t fancy waiting in the pub (must be sickening for something!)   Found a bench in the churchyard

Another random picture from yours truly...In the cab is my dad, standing on right is my Uncle Ken (dad's brother). The other fellow is Frank Fisher. They're in the gates of Grove Garage, on Greasley S

I can remember my father taking me to the Forest to see a whale on the back of a lorry. Sadly, probably thinking I'd get a better view, we stood very close so all I saw was this wet black thing. I can remember more of the trailer than the whale. He was quite cross on the way home when I asked him where it was.

8 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

And the lower photo is still the same, but without green buses.

What the heck has happened to the "Slab Square" that I left back in the seventies? Even when I came back in 2007 it did not look that bad. It looks like a soviet era industrial wasteland. What were the council thinking? Surely this is not the centre piece of the Midland Queen that its inhabitants want.

• Like 3

Paul and I went to see one of the whales (there were 3 according to the ‘whale thread’  that CT posted - Hercules, Goliath and Jonah). It was in Leicester and I think we had at least one of our children with us so it must have been in the late 60s/early 70s.  

I rarely go into Nottingham now especially in the evening but yesterday early evening I went to my grandsons college to see some of his work. The square and Market Street were filthy. Fast food wrappers, hundreds of cigarette ends and all manner of detritus and vomit. A disgrace. I am certainly out of touch with older teenagers. It was like a freak show. There was a Rastafarian sat on the left lion wearing a plastic crown shouting abuse and obscenities at everyone and a youth on a bmx doing jumps up and down the council house steps.

It was quite shocking. What has happened to our lovely city.

• Like 3

There's not much reason to go into the city centre now anyway. A large percentage of shop units are empty, and the area south of the Market Square down to Broad Marsh is virtually a ghost town.

A problem the 'new and improved' Square' has, is that it isn't. It's simply not people friendly and totally out of architectural sympathy with it's surroundings. Most use it as place for rapid transit from one place to another. It's not a somewhere to linger awhile and watch the world go by.

It's a place where you ponder what sort of idiot put an electrical control room under a water feature that leaks. And now the council are estimating repairs are four years away. Maybe if the tram wasn't losing so much...

Perhaps one day Nottingham will get a council able to concentrate on services and not prestige projects that always seem to go pear shaped.

• Like 3

This mob have had control for 30-40 years, the city electorate are to blame for giving them free reign with the council tax income, a council tax that is second highest in the country.  I despair every time I step out of our house but no amount of complaining about non-existent services does a bit of good.  

• Like 1

I knew there were a reason I don't come back much nowadays.

You guys have convinced me. I'm not missing a deal by the sounds of it.  B. 

The company I currently work for used to have a shop on Wheeler Gate (opposite Cafe Nero)  and next to Sainsburys but had to give it up n 2018 as the footfall was non existent. There would usually be a homeless person sleeping in the doorway so not the best place to have a shop! 

John Herbert the jeweller had to move out for the renovations and decided to wind up the business as a result. They were in business on Trinity Square for donkeys years and moved to Wheeler Gate in recent years. Another one gone.

Sisson&Parker was such a great shop. Such a shame that all these places are “no more” 

20 hours ago, MelissaJKelly said:

The company I currently work for used to have a shop on Wheeler Gate (opposite Cafe Nero)  and next to Sainsburys but had to give it up n 2018 as the footfall was non existent. There would usually be a homeless person sleeping in the doorway so not the best place to have a shop! 

I took that photo on a Sunday morning around 10am. I had to manoeuvre my position to avoid the homeless in the doorways. You can see a cardboard box sticking out; that was one of their 'homes', but there were others.

Nottingham City Council  have a 'no second night' policy and will find accommodation for rough sleepers as soon as they are aware of them.

There is a free number whereby you may report a rough sleeper and get some support for them.

0800 066 5356  - 24/7, free from landlines and mobiles

• Like 1