DJ360

How's your day?

All:  I have an excuse for not doing the grass.  It's just started raining here. Drat... :rolleyes:

Col

Col ref the 50 mph limit on lots of country roads especially in Derbyshire............i most certainly agree with it..........why would you want to go faster in lovely countryside..........find that drive up the A6 really relaxing......love Derbyshire........my favourite county....and right on our doorstep..............

Thats very true Jill..........what more could a county want................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Col ref the 50 mph limit on lots of country roads especially in Derbyshire............i most certainly agree with it..........why would you want to go faster in lovely countryside..........find that drive up the A6 really relaxing......love Derbyshire........my favourite county....and right on our doorstep..............

So what you're saying Ben is that you couldn't use your hyperspeed drive. ;)

Edited to add:  I think Jill beat us all, guys.   Go to the top of the class Ms. Sparrow. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Whoopee the other drivers insurance have excepted full responsibility, bit iffy about the costs but like I said brand new van and I want it in brand new condition.

Jill, my lady coming from the high peak things Derbyshire finishes at Matlock Bath.

Have to agree Ben once you hit the A6 at Ambergate the drive up through the White Peak is very pretty. Whilst Derbyshire is one of my favourite counties you would be surprised how many born there don't appreciate what they have SWMBO being one of them. Though now she has lived in Notts for 46 years she loves to go back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Perhaps those Classics lessons at The Manning had some use after all! ;)

Jill... nothing to do with classics  but suffragette, found a picture that will amuse you, but can't upload. So if you put Lady Florence Norman suffragette on a scooter you should find her.  Among my great aunt's belongings I have found a brooch made from white/green and purple stones G

Scooter-2.jpg

You mean this, Gem?

My paternal grandmother was a suffragette. My admiration for them is unbounded. Given today's news coverage of the sexual exploitation of teenage girls, all I can say is that a Manning School education prepared us to face the opposite sex with utter contempt.There was no lack of self worth or defining ourselves by how attractive we were to males. Stuff that! We were highly educated, opinionated and independent females, dependent on no man for anything! Marriage and children was for failures. Might sound harsh in this day and age but that's how it was at The Manning. Maybe I'm more grateful than I sometimes profess! ;)

• Like 2

That's the one, never realised electric scooter were around that early.   I attended Gateshead Girls Grammar School, until we were 16 all school parties no boys allowed, never missed them when they did come they all thought we should be grateful!!!!!  Like yourself I left well educated and very opinionated but I married a man who never stood in my way and encouraged me to progress in my career. The best ones come from Basford, his words not mine LOL

My previous post ended abruptly Ben tried to sit on my knee and laptop went on floor.

• Like 1

There's just no controlling that Ben, is there?  :biggrin:

Hey Jill.  That's a bit harsh don't yer know?  :).  Some of us males are gentlemen you know.  We can't help it if some males act like jerks.  I was taught from my earliest years to respect a lady.  Always have and always been well treated.

I'm probably on dangerous ground so I'll shurrup!  Lol.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm not sure that scooter is electric.  There are what look like a fuel tank, a cylinder barrel/head with a spark plug on top and a short exhaust/silencer.  Not sure if the box on the runnng board is for a battery or luggage.  It's a fascinating machine though and I've never seen one like it before.  I'd love to know more about it.

I think it behoves me to stand up for the side of men in this little sequence.  I for one also admire Suffragettes hugely, and have always been of the view that there is no valid reason why women should be discriminated against in employment or life in general.  But then I think that men should not be discriminated against either.  Just as there are still 'hangovers' of sexist attitudes towards women in many men, there are similar prejudices amongst women against men.

The plain fact is that we need each other.  If not for the more entertaining aspects of  'la difference'.. then for simple procreation and survival.

Col

• Like 2

Like the second paragraph LL. Me too, I always respect a lady. Trouble is, we're not always appreciated !

• Like 1

Indeed.  I still have the instinct to place myself on the outside of a lady on the pavement, to protect her from the splashing of water from passing carriages.  And I still hold doors open for ladies.  Sadly, some ladies see this is sexist.

Yer can't bleddy win!!  :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DJ your comment about the scooter made me re-check the picture and it reads motor scooter, senior citizen moment.

• Like 1

It was always gentlemanly to have the lady on your left arm, so that in case of a spot of bother, or an altercation with a ruffian, you could use your sword with your right arm in order to see off the blighter. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

always hold the door open for Ladies.........often adding..............''mon plaisir madame''.........usually gets a smile,...........:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm really pleased I went to a co-educational school as it helped boys and girls to co-exist and interact just as in normal everyday life.  We didn't see the boys as anything special - they were just fellow pupils.  We saw their strengths and weaknesses just as they saw ours.  As Col says... we need each other, and I also agree that there is sometimes prejudice by women against men!  First and foremost we are all human beings whatever our gender.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Staying in bed, feel really bad, another sore throat this morning, all I ate yesterday was a small bowl of corn flakes, just have no appetite at all. Taking more pain killers for this bleddy leg pain.

Sympathy from Mrs C amounts to , you've had worse get over it ! Bless her tho she has been very good & can't fault her nursing skills !

Got a special treat today, she's gone to Tesco & she's getting me a box of Rice Crispies !  YIPPEE.

No doubt Rog, will be on soon telling us about his 400 mile trike ride this morning before his cooked breakfast, sod it.

Whatever you get up to today, have a safe & pleasent day.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I'm really pleased I went to a co-educational school as it helped boys and girls to co-exist and interact just as in normal everyday life.  We didn't see the boys as anything special - they were just fellow pupils.  We saw their strengths and weaknesses just as they saw ours.  As Col says... we need each other, and I also agree that there is sometimes prejudice by women against men!  First and foremost we are all human beings whatever our gender.

I've met a few "Man Haters" in my time too.

Of course there are some decent chaps about, Loppy! Ben and Jake, for example! ;)

I remember when I worked at Rotheras on Friar Lane, the senior partner for whom I worked would sometimes suggest lunch out and, as we walked down the road, would position himself on my right "lest the carriages splash your gown, my lady!" A treasure of a man!

I know I moan about The Manning but its girls were imbued with a strong sense of self esteem, confidence, independence and ambition. The absence of boys in the classroom was, I believe, a positive thing as it removed the danger of distraction and ensured focus on learning and achievement during the critical years of education. I believe the same also applied to boys and would like to see single sex schools brought back for this reason.

Today's world is very different due, in part, to social media and the image some young females have of themselves. Hugely complicated, heartbreaking and I have my own opinions about that which I won't go into here. Suffice to say, I often think back to those strong women teachers at Manning whom we termed battleaxes and am silently thankful for their example. Ben wouldn't even have attempted to sit on any of their knees...unless he was a dog! :rolleyes:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, catfan said:

Sympathy from Mrs C amounts to , you've had worse get over it !

Mrs C wasn't a Manning girl, was she?

Seriously, Catfan, a speedy recovery and enjoy those rice crispies! smile2

• Like 1

''Benny kissed the teacher,he's a dog, nothing but a hound Dog''................carnie where are you?..............lol.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Mrs C wasn't a Manning girl, was she?

No but I think she studied nursing at the Dr Joseph Mengele school of nursing.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1