How's your day?

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I bet their ears never got blocked up either. 

Nor did their anal passages.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

That Komet ran on 80% hydrogen peroxide plus another highly unstable fuel, can't remember the name now.  What with a fuel that could self combust, the pilot sitting on one of the fuel tanks and skid landing (no wheels) it is rumoured that it killed more pilots than enemy.

Indeed.

Think the other fuel was Hydrazine.. whatever that is.  Eitherway.. when the two were mixed they would sponteously combust.  I don't know how much throttle control the pilot had or whether he just had to ride the thing  at full belt until he ran out of fuel and then glide to earth.  I recall a comment in a documentary that as little as a teacupful of fuel left in an Me163 when it landed could cause it to 'eject' the pilot, without assistance from Martin-Baker... :)

They have one, plus other very interesting German weapons, in the museum at RAF Cosford.

• Like 1

Eric 'winkle' Brown flew a captured one in June, 1945. The German ground crew refused at first to prepare and service it and demanded a signed disclaimer absolving them of any consequence. (Brown spoke fluent German and was an official interrogator as well as RN pilot and test pilot). He later said that of all the tailless aircraft he flew (5 different types) this one had the best high speed flight characteristics. The take-off and landing characteristics were apparently less impressive. It could outrun the P47s and P51 Mustangs. The intended technique was to take out a bomber on the way up, loop over the formation and take another out on the way down. Then the fuel ran out. He called it an invention of desperation.

It had a non pressurised cockpit and could reach 39,000 feet in 3 minutes. For this reason the regular pilots had a special low fibre diet to minimize gastrointestinal gas which could cause problems during the fast decompression of the rapid ascent.:crazy:

• Like 3

Received a letter from the People's Postcode Lottery today telling me that I had won £325,000.  Suspicious, I called the lottery in Edinburgh and was told that it is of course a scam and that on no account should I ring the London number on the letter.  The police are dealing with the matter, so if you get an official looking letter complete with genuine looking reference numbers and contacts, etc. Don't be fooled.  The loltery people NEVER include figures in any initial correspondence.

Mrs Col does the Postcode Lottery and it is all handled via email. She just won a Tenner.

• Upvote 1

At least it pays for next month.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Eric 'winkle' Brown flew a captured one in June, 1945. .......

Bit of a character was old Winkle.  I must look for his book.

After attempting to repair my Hi-Fi ampilier this afternoon I took this picture of some wood:

39216575904_f4612d7106_h.jpg

• Like 2

It's an old oak, four drawer, office desk that I bought from a clear-out some years ago for £10 - now my computer desk, Ian.

I'm at home with the dogs this a.m.  Still fighting the Crud so I didn't go to church.  It's dark and rainy.  Dogs are both sleeping.  Let 'em lie.  Mrs. Loppy went.  Peace, two sleeping dogs, cosy and warm with some coffee and NS.  Should make me feel a bit better.  ;)

• Like 2

As it's the first mild and sunny day for what seems like weeks, I was going to repair and stain two old wooden patio chairs. However, as one has got some rot, I salvaged the reusable parts, for future use, and sawed up the rest. So it's Radio Nottingham on, the back door open, the chiminea blazing away with the old chair inside, and just waiting for my dinner to be served up. 

Might go inside though, as its getting rather cloudy now. 

Pretty normal January day today.  Mostly cloudy and quite breezy. Not as mild as yesterday but not too cold. Daughter, Son in Law and Grandkids came around for a spot of lunch.. which was nice.

On 27/01/2018 at 3:04 PM, Compo said:

After attempting to repair my Hi-Fi ampilier this afternoon I took this picture of some wood:

39216575904_f4612d7106_h.jpg

Nice wood!  What make is your hi-fi amp and what is it not doing?

Col

Getting back to the posts about boilers, I had an interesting and informative talk with NBL about modern boilers. I am thinking about changing our 45-year-old boiler, which does us proud, with a new one. By co-incidence, this clip is from a recent Daily Telegraph piece on the subject, and might interest those in the same boat as me.

Boilers.jpg

Last paragraph should read 'if you have a mansion or if you are considering a factory. Most definitely not an option in an ordinary domestic property. First you need a bronze pump a reasonable one will cost about £190 more if you want a Grundfos, then you have to pay to run it 24 hours a day and unless the hot water pipes are all correctly insulated you are losing heat 24 hours a day. The sole intent of a secondary return is to prevent having to stand there whilst the hot water eventually comes through.

Next paragraph up, not quite true, the water in the tank will be warmer than mains water by several degrees C for a start. When using a standard combi the boiler has to heat up the water to a usable heat this time of year it will be entering the property at approximately 9' C and you want it close to 50' C so it is not just the standing water you have to consider. The size of boiler, siting of boiler and length of 'dead legs' all have to be considered.

There is also a range of combi's that will store a small amount of hot water, expensive yes but needed in some circumstances.

Next paragraph up basically true, one extra advantage you are only paying to heat the water you use.

Next paragraph up some correct others not. (1) Multiple out lets can be used at once means 2 maybe 3 more if the system is piped up to allow for it which it will not be in a standard domestic dwelling. (2) Immersion quite correct. (3) Flushing toilets again only if you system is piped up to work this way, not usual in a standard domestic property. (4) Not if your cylinder is insulated to modern standards as required by building regs at the time of the swap over.

Finally Chulla did you check your gas valve, remember when we spoke I asked if it had two then red wire leading to it with a round push button. The idea was to discover whether it is 24 volt or not.

^^^^^^^^^Phil I am afraid it is the same with all modern high efficiency boilers, the amount off safety devices, control circuits etc is beyond belief.

'Which' magazine published an article some time back saying that with a modern boiler you can expect it to last about 10 years and during that time spend £1000 to keep it running, there is just so much to go wrong.

Personally I blame the government, all shades have been pushing for ever higher efficiency to counteract climate change and this has pushed manufacturers into marketing products before they are fully tested. They are just starting to get it right and are now offering 7 or 10 year guarantees something they would never have done 10 years back.

April the 6th this year see yet another raft of legislation come in, all boilers will have to be at least 92% efficient and have further energy saving devices like weather or load compensation or flue gas recovery.

Long gone are the days of Chulla's old boiler.

I entirely agree. The more sophisticated the control systems the more there is to go wrong. It's just the same with modern cars; you press a button to put the handbrake on and servo motors kick in to do the job that a simple lever and cable used to do. The problem is that the fitters can't do a repair job because of the electronic complexity so the whole unit or a circuit board has to be replaced. A friend asked me to look at his caravan power supply/battery charger yesterday. After eliminating all the obvious externals the next phase would have been to drill out the rivets and open up the case but there was no point. There was no circuit diagram and the damaged component would probably be burnt beyond recognition. If it could have been identified it would have meant a trip to Maplins and back (30 miles) so it was easier for him to go to the caravan centre and buy a new one - but at a cost of £100. I'm afraid this is what we've got to live with today. Oh how I loved old technology where you could do a hands on repair!

• Like 2