How's your day?

Well the great snowfall ( as promised) has up to now failed to show its face. It's sleeting now , don't know what to expect tomorrow.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Re anonymity. Lizzie summed it up a few weeks ago. NPD. Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

It means a constant craving for recognition, arrogant, self centred, demanding and manipulative. That's just for starters !

• Like 1

Well it's a bit warmer here, low 30'sF Stove making a lot of nice comfortable heat.

Split a few logs to keep our wood stove running....

Talking of tree huggers, a couple of months back the EPA informed those in the "bush" of Alaska they will be fined heavily if they don't stop using wood as a source of heat..... Laughable, as it's their only source of heating in winter, how can they use anything else when they are cut off for a few months from civilization??

I know what the locals would do if the EPA tried their dirty tricks around here, they'd be sent packing with buckshot wounds to their rear ends....LOL

• Like 1
23 hours ago, davep5491 said:

The above is pure guesswork and incorrect. It has for many years, been the duty of the local authorities as waste collection authorities to arrange for the collection of household waste including clinical waste. They have now changed a simple drop off service at my local health centre to a system which involves many layers of council, NHS and even GPs. It is not something I consider unusual for a council organisation.

Yes the NHS is responsible for my healthcare. I am required to provide blood samples to manage my condition (not diabetes) I could visit my GP or a hospital but I was told this results in a cost to the NHS of around £90 each time but I would of course be able to leave my sharps there.  So I purchased a machine (£300) and am able to self monitor. An email detailing the results is sent to the Queens Medical Centre and they inform me of any changes I need to make. I retired 15 years ago and still pay a sizable tax bill, I don't care who collects my waste but I do object to wasting my money.

Well yes, it has been the council's responsibility to see that waste is disposed of pretty much forever. ( Though how they approach this varies.. a lot.)  I also bow to your personal experience re: methods concerning Medical Waste/Sharps.  I did make it clear that I have no direct experience of this. 

However there is no doubt that both the NHS and Local Councils are under extreme pressure to provide more services and deal with more 'stuff', in the context of a real terms cut in funding which is entirely deliberate and down to central Govt. This is what I was getting at.  I would be very surprised if the changes you outlined are being made for the 'hell of it'.  I reckon it is almost certain that a legislative/regulatory,  cost saving, or both, imperative has forced the changes.  Possibly you could enquire of your Local Council or your NHS contacts, as to the reasons for the changes?

Col

8 hours ago, Beekay said:

How did you manage to get a big space like that Carnie ?? You must have a very big laptop

Lol Beekay. I really have no idea. I always look at my posts afterwards to see if there is an error I have missed, and need a quick edit. 

Oops, there it was?

Quite a nice morning here in Staffs. No ice fog or snow thank goodness because I have to tow grandsons car to the garage. The clutch has gone! Unusual these days. Prev owner probably 'rode the clutch' a lot. No towbar so not that. Right - off we go..

I had a clutch go once. In fact, because of it I hit a Trent bus (by accident). I was in the right hand lane on a steep hill behind the bus waiting at traffic lights at the top of the hill. (With me so far?)

I was always afraid of stalling so I was holding it on the clutch and revving hard waiting to do my famous hill start. Then the clutch cable snapped and I jerked forward - hit the bus and stalled.

So there I was - in the right hand lane at Friday rush hour - stalled in gear with no clutch.

I'm told that the tailback went a couple of miles back.

I think I cried a lot.

Eventually two blokes got me out of the car, knocked it out of gear and manhandled it into the side.

No idea how I got home or what happened to the car. It's all a blur.

That was many years ago.

I don't drive now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Phew ! What a nightmare Eileen.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, EileenH said:

I had a clutch go once. In fact, because of it I hit a Trent bus (by accident). I was in the right hand lane on a steep hill behind the bus waiting at traffic lights at the top of the hill. (With me so far?)

I was always afraid of stalling so I was holding it on the clutch and revving hard waiting to do my famous hill start. Then the clutch cable snapped and I jerked forward - hit the bus and stalled.

So there I was - in the right hand lane at Friday rush hour - stalled in gear with no clutch.

I'm told that the tailback went a couple of miles back.

I think I cried a lot.

Eventually two blokes got me out of the car, knocked it out of gear and manhandled it into the side.

No idea how I got home or what happened to the car. It's all a blur.

That was many years ago.

I don't drive now.

So you were the one who made me late:sorry: dried up meal and no microwave.

Oh Eileen. As if !!!  girlvboy

• Like 1

Don't worry Eileen, a duff clutch can happen to anyone. It happened to me once when I drove for A 2 B taxis. Just happened to have Leslie Crowther in the car to take him back to Perry Barr, from Central TV. , Beekay

• Like 1
15 hours ago, carni said:

Sorry, can anyone work a miracle, and reduce this space please??????

That was spectacular, almost blew NS offline by using so much server space ;)

11 hours ago, Beekay said:

How did you manage to get a big space like that Carnie ?? You must have a very big laptop.

Carni, what you probably did was lean on the Return key on your laptop and created about 200 new lines with no text. It took me a long time to get to the last one.

Don't worry about it Carni..  All the best people on here have been accused of making very long posts containing nothing of substance...  ;)

Col

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Don't worry about it Carni..  All the best people on here have been accused of making very long posts containing nothing of substance...  ;)

Col

I'll second that Col !!

• Like 1

Clutch??? What's a clutch?

Finding a manual car/truck these days is almost impossible, even a used one. Over here manuals are known as thief proof vehicles as we have a generation of kids who have no idea how to drive a manual.

Even semi trailer tractors and rigid big rigs now are mostly automatics this side of the pond, most truckers hate them as it's more difficult to back a semi into a loading dock with autos, they tend to use more braking and lose all the air in their tanks.

My last ‘proper’ car with a clutch was a Jaguar XJS back in 1987. Funnily enough the clutch went on that, the first time it had ever happened to me. I’ve had a couple of Morgans, a Caterham 7 and a Lotus Elise, all with clutches but these were not everyday drives so don’t really count. Otherwise we have both had automatics right up present. I can’t envisage ever driving a manual and with the gradual move to electric the day of the clutch will be over. I have occasionally driven manuals when I’ve had a loan car and whilst there was no problem in readapting it did seem a bit archaic.

12 hours ago, FLY2 said:

Re anonymity. Lizzie summed it up a few weeks ago. NPD. Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

It means a constant craving for recognition, arrogant, self centred, demanding and manipulative. That's just for starters !

Are you talking about me again Fly?     :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Looks like Carni owes CT a very large cream cake! ;)

CT will be waiting a long time for his cream cake . Carni loves cream cakes too much to give them away. LOL

• Like 1

"A shiny 10p" dontcha mean a shiny Bob???

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Carni, what you probably did was lean on the Return key on your laptop and created about 200 new lines with no text. It took me a long time to get to the last one.

My Hero     hearteyesNo cream cake though........................it's gone?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I reckon it is almost certain that a legislative/regulatory,  cost saving, or both, imperative has forced the changes.  Possibly you could enquire of your Local Council or your NHS contacts, as to the reasons for the changes?

It's on my list Col.

I see your first sentence and it would be easy to surmise that to be the case, but if so all authorities should work in a similar way. Catfan's posts suggest that he still enjoys a simple drop off service. Hopefully someone will know or more to the point admit to knowing.

• Like 1