• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Just recovering from the Christmas festivities. We missed the normal Christmas because Mrs PP was in hospital, so we had Christmas this week end. That made yesterday Boxing day for us. We should have been at our daughters in N Somerset for Christmas. We were there this w/e instead. Enjoyed the Pantomime on Saturday, which was directed by our Granddaughter. She also played the baddy. Breakfast in a beach cafe on Sunday morning and Christmas dinner later followed by drinks and board games. One of the best Christmases ever - a month or so late but very enjoyable.

Did 10km on the indoor rower this morning - post Christmas exercise. :biggrin:

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

One thing I’d like to see on cars (maybe some posh models have them) - a simple warning system that tells you if one of your brake lights has gone! So simple, so rare!

My old (84) Rover sd1 vitesse had warning lights to let you know if a bulb had gone!. Surely it's not new technology!

17 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I entirely agree. The more sophisticated the control systems the more there is to go wrong. It's just the same with modern cars; you press a button to put the handbrake on and servo motors kick in to do the job that a simple lever and cable used to do. The problem is that the fitters can't do a repair job because of the electronic complexity so the whole unit or a circuit board has to be replaced. A friend asked me to look at his caravan power supply/battery charger yesterday. After eliminating all the obvious externals the next phase would have been to drill out the rivets and open up the case but there was no point. There was no circuit diagram and the damaged component would probably be burnt beyond recognition. If it could have been identified it would have meant a trip to Maplins and back (30 miles) so it was easier for him to go to the caravan centre and buy a new one - but at a cost of £100. I'm afraid this is what we've got to live with today. Oh how I loved old technology where you could do a hands on repair!

I think our Baxi Combi was fitted at least ten years ago.  The biggest maintenance issue has been finding a competent engineer to service and fix it.  I'd gone off the original installer because he was a poor communicator and not exactly cheap.  I also knew his Dad, who was the very epitome of a 'miserable cantankerous old Git'.  However, after the abject failure of a couple of other so called engineers, to identify and fix a falt, I called him back in and he fixed the thing in 10 minutes.  The only downside for me is that as above, it takes a little while for the burner to get going so that there's always a delay getting really hot water out of taps.  More annoying is that it takes ages to fill a bath in winter because the incoming water is so cold and flow has to be reduced. I think if/when the boiler is replaced I'll go for a bit more power.  That said.. we never have the classic 'Who's used all the hot water' scenario, or the 'exploding immersion heater' which we experienced previously.

Part of the current 'trouble' with technology seems to be that electronics are cheap and manufacturers do a lot of things 'because they can'.  Believe it or not I have a 'Wi-Fi' enabled' toothbrush. That's not why I bought it and so far I've managed to resist the temptation to download the relevant 'App' and allow the thing to 'assess' my brushing technique ...:rolleyes:

Since our new kitchen was fitted, the new washing machine has leaked.  Not a lot, and not every time it's used, but a leak nonetheless.  In a former life I'd have just pulled the thing away from the wall, had a look, identified the problem and sorted it.  But, this 'built in' thing is brand new and under warranty.  It's also a right royal PITA to uncouple and pull out.  So, since Mrs Col had decided to pay for all sorts of warranties on stuff we requested an engineer visit.  The chap appeared and using his mobile phone very quickly told us how many times and what programmes we had used, also how energy efficient our usage was.  However, it took plain old engineering 'nous' for him to spot that the door seal was improperly fitted at the top, quite possibly because of improper handling by the kitchen fitter.. ( wouldn't surprise me).  Five miutes and 'job done'. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You need to watch that toothbrush, Col.  Did you have to give it your wi-fi password?   It's probably reporting how often you brush, what toothpaste you used, what you had for breakfast, and your exact words when you swore at it to big brovver. :biggrin:

• Like 2

Talking about washing machines, we had a new one delivered 4 years ago, Mrs C wouldn't let me move it but I insisted & pushed the washer under the worktop in a newly fitted kitchen, my stubbornness cost me a few days in the coronary care ward at the QMC for my effort.

• Like 1

My day today hasn't been terrific.  I mentioned a week or so back that I'd been in a 'rear end shunt' in my car.  Now I know that this is a bit of a contentious subject, but believe me....

Was fine on the evening after the 'shunt' apart from being a bit 'miffed'.  Next day I had a massive headache on waking.  Then I had numbness/tingling in both arms and hands driving to a funeral.  A friend greeted me at the funeral with 'You don't look well Col..'  Always cheers me up does that....

Since then I have continuing numbness/tingling in arms and hands, tightness between shoulder blades, lower back pain and since last Friday, pain in lower neck/upper spine.

Mentioned to a much younger 'friend' who has accused me of 'faking it'.. etc.

Maybe when he's nearly 70 he will feel differently.  And if I'm still about.. ( unlikely.) I'll show him similar courtesy.

• Like 1

Be careful, col.  I don't mean to be alarmist so don't panic.  That said.  I don't think I've ever told this on NS before.  I just said my late wife died of a heart attack, that is just the facts.  Three days prior to that she was involved in a car accident.  A guy ran a stop sign and hit her.  She was on her own in the car she had just been to my daughters.  The car was pushed off the road into a ditch.  She was about four miles from our house.  The tow truck driver brought her home.  A neighbor took us to the hospital and she was checked over.  They said there was no serious damage and gave her some muscle relaxants and sent us home with instructions to check with our doctor if anything worsened.  A bit of whiplash could give the symptoms you described in your post.  What they did not tell us was that these could also be heart attack symptoms in a woman.  Long story short,  This was Wednesday night.  She seemed down the next couple of days, who wouldn't?  By Saturday night she was complaining of the symptoms mentioned.  By then I had a rental car and offered to drive her to the hospital.  She said, No.  She would see the Dr. on Monday.  I did not insist.  I wish I had, because an hour later she lost consciousness.  I yelled with no response.  Called 911 and they said an ambulance was on it's way while the operator told me how to do the kiss of life and heart massage.  It did not work.  I think she was already gone.

Sorry for the long post but there is no quick way to tell it.  I beat myself up for a long time over what I might have done better.  They did an autopsy and put the cause of death as a heart arrhythmia possibly due to the shock of the car accident.  That led to legal battles with insurance etc that I won't bore you with here.  The tears still come even after nearly 19 years.

Moral of the story.  Be very alert to pain.  It might just be a bit of bruising and whiplash especially after being hit in the back.  Don't hesitate to seek medical attention at any time if the symptoms get worse or nausea occurs.  I forgot to mention that.  She couldn't keep her supper down.  Please don't be scared, but do be aware.

Oh Loppy, I'm so sorry to have re-awakened these thoughts in you.  It must have been an awful time.

Thanks for your concern but I really don't expect it's much more than a bit of 'soft tissue injury', due to the rear impact on my car. He certainly gave me a 'whack'.  Thing is my so called 'friend' is much more concerned that I'm looking into a personal injury claim.  He seems much more concerned with the way that offends his 'morality', than how I'm really feeling.

One less friend I think.

I'll live.

Col

Don't worry about the memories, Col.  I'll have to live with them for the rest of my life.  If my experience can save somebody else from harm it will not have been wasted.

You have a right to a personal injury claim, by the sounds of it.  I guess your friend just doesn't get it.  I might not have done either in times past.  Life has a way of bringing us up to speed on such things.

Keep your chin up.  I hope you'll soon be feeling fine again.

• Like 1

DJ for the next three years you will be pestered by companies phoning you and 'assuring' you that the insurance have already set aside several thousand pounds for your personal injury claim - even if there was no injury they  will still try to badger you into making a claim.

I'm still getting them after someone bumped my car in a car park even though I wasn't even in the car at the time. One thing I don't inderstand, it's a different company every time so how did they get my phone number?

BTW I hope you are OK now and fighting fit!

I still get the call's telling me that the other party has admitted fault! Strange that, I didn't know that Skip's could read, write or talk!

Just learnt that our French property is sold. Sold cheap but not lost anything. The buyers want us out in 2 months so looking for volunteers to help shift 3 1/2 barrels and 100 bottles of cidre. Just starting to panic......