How's your day?

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, philmayfield said:

I should have said RUMMICUBS

Doesn't matter that you got it wrong, I've never heard of that one either.

Looked it up and it seems it is a cross between rummy and mah-jong.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

There's certainly a fine crop of maize in the field over the lane. Don't suppose a few cobs will be missed.

Corn on the cob on the BBQ with lashings of salted butter dripping down yer chin ……..  yummo!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well I'm just looking at 25 acres of it from my landing window. It's only a relatively recent crop around here. It's generally beet for Newark sugar factory, potatoes for Walker's crisps, barley for the breweries and oilseed rape. I did see a field of blue flax nearby last week which looked most attractive.

Opposite platform, level crossing and front of house grass cut; spinach sown and peas transplanted. Time for a shower and a pint at Wetherspoons.........

• Like 1

Had one for 13yrs Beekay. Nearly lost it this year - they planned to close but relented after several months of uncertainty.

Had our regular visit to Bonington Theatre tonight to watch a film. This time around, “Yesterday”. Really good film, I can recommend it.

As we left the cinema, caught up with phone messages and found out that our daughter had won nearly £1200 at the bingo! 

Must remember to put her board up.

• Like 1

Haven't been for a walk for a couple of months.  Really not like me, but what with all the stuff going on with the 'itch', redecorating and so on... not to mention a sore knee..

Anyway, Sunday afternoon I finally decided to get off my butt and do a short walk.  Up out of the estate, along a farm track, out onto the fields, down between the crops to the little bridge over the brook, back along the brook and out onto the road through the houses and back home.  Probably less than a mile, but a start.

It was overcast, but warm. The views out across the fields, even without going far up 'the hill', were a delight.

What grabbed me mostly though, was the lushness of the vegetation alongside the fields, and especially along the brook.  Everything was a lot denser and higher than I recall before.  Assorted daisies and clovers, which I'd need to look up to identify, 'Great Willow Herb' which I've not really seen before in any quantity.  Ground Elder with pinkish 'umbels', Persicaria, Bindweed, Buttercups etc.  Sadly also far too much Indian Balsam.. which seems to be taking over everywhere.

Nice little walk though.  I'll try to do another tomorrow.. but if the promised sunshine appears, I may leave it until late in the day.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

Had our regular visit to Bonington Theatre tonight to watch a film. This time around, “Yesterday”. Really good film, I can recommend it.

As we left the cinema, caught up with phone messages and found out that our daughter had won nearly £1200 at the bingo! 

Must remember to put her board up.

Would that be Gala  Top Valley?  (Which is misnamed, because it's not in Top Valley)

Anyway.. good luck to her..

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:36 AM, benjamin1945 said:

,breakfast in Morrisons Kirkby

Hi Ben, is Morrisons in the old Regent Cinema on Diamond Avenue, on the opposite corner was the Nags Head.

When I worked in Kirkby in the seventies often used to pop over the road to The Railway Inn (a Mansfield house) for a swift pint and a pasty at lunch time.

Alas the Railway Inn is long gone now an Aldi.

• Like 1

EY-UP OZ,,      Regent Cinema is the wetherspoons,,Morrisons is where the car park was for the precinct,,,Precinct gone,,i used to work in there for Savemore (marsdens),,,Nags head still there,,,i find it hard to visulise where everything used to be,,,

You would like the Cricketing tribute statues,, very large things,,Larwood bowling,,Voce fielding at short mid-off and Bradman batting,,

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Would that be Gala  Top Valley?  (Which is misnamed, because it's not in Top Valley)

Anyway.. good luck to her..

Slightly more up market than TV. This one is in Beeston.

Ohh right..  Only very slightly then.... ;)

The so-called Top Valley, is on the corner of what was one of Jarve Goddard's fields, belonging to Southglade Farm. Also, the closest road to it, even after Gala Way was built, is Southglade Rd.  Top Valley, or Topvalley Farm was further North and East. So it would have been more accurate to call it Gala Southglade.

• Like 1

I committed a faux pas today. I was at the ‘ethnic’ car wash on the Fosse near Newark and was discussing the weather with the owner. I asked him what the weather was like where he came from. ‘Same as here”, he said, ‘I come from Leicester’. ‘No’, I said, ‘What’s it like where you were born?’ ‘I was born in Leicester’ he replied. Quickly had to change the subject! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

The eleventh word 'e......c' used in that context would have had you placed on a diversity course in my last employment, if you had already attended a diversity course you would have been looking at your P45!

World gone mad :crazy:

The long promised warm weather is taking its time arriving here.

They said the wind would ease.  It's got stronger.

They said it would be really warm.  It isn't.

They said the cloud would thin.  It didn't.

I demand a refund!!

It's been 29C here today and getting hotter tomorrow. It's too much for me. Heaven knows how I'm going to get to sleep tonight and it's my late night down the pub. Perhaps lots of liquid is needed - it's only a quarter of a mile to walk home.

48 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I demand a refund!!

I tried that at the supermarket. I bought a 'lucky dip'... it wasn't

• Like 1

Today I went to fetche my SIL who was spending the afternoon with us. On the way there I said I would phone her, which I did. I have bluetooth in the car and asked it to call Loredana and waited to be connected. The voice that followed made me laugh so much that I was still laughing when she came out of the house to meet me. The voice said " sorry I don't know your grandmother, please check your list of contacts and adjust your settings" During the afternoon this phrase kept repeating itself and I'd start laughing again. Felt better for it though. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Brew said:

I tried that at the supermarket. I bought a 'lucky dip'... it wasn't

You just reminded me... Won a Tenner on the Thunderball..  :)