• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Compo said:

40 pints oof Tolly Cobbold-alike bitter fermenting nicely........ 

You can get fence stain from b & q, so no need to go to all that troublesmile2. Never ever found anyone who admits to liking Tolly  Cobbolds, yuk.

Out at 6.30 cleared 4x4 of snow and took grandson to work. The local big hill was 'just' open to traffic. Quite like driving in the snow.

Just built a log fire in the sitting room. That's another thing I like about the snow - the sitting room with open fire becomes more cosy..

2 days ago there were 50 frogs mating in the pond. This morning the pond is almost all frozen and no frogs about. Amazing how they survive.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Waddo said:

Never ever found anyone who admits to liking Tolly  Cobbolds, yuk.

This is not the weak, fizzy, commercial Tolly - far from it; it is a home-made version that will have a strength of around 5.5%

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

2 days ago there were 50 frogs mating in the pond

Send 'em back to France..the dirty sods!

isitsafe

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

So, Saturday night I set off by bus and train into Liverpool to meet my three friends from Nottm.  The deal was that they were going to grab a bite in a local 'Wethies' in Liverpool and I'd meet them out side the Cavern at 7:00 pm.

Whilst I was travelling in I noticed lots of people dressed in green. but it didn't quite sink in.. ( I'm a bit thick these days)  Then one of my friends texted that they''d been unable to get into ANY Wethies or other place as Liverpool was basically FULL because it was 'Paddy's Night.'  We'd all mised that one...  :(

I told them not to panic and I'd meet them opposite the Cavern entrance.  They went to try to get something to eat at a Lobster Pot takeaway... ( Yuk!!)

I arrived in Mathew St around 18:45 and it was totally rammed.  I couldn't get through the door of Sgt Peppers next to the Cavern, where I'd provisionally agreed to meet my friends.  So.. since it was absolutely freezing, I spoke to one of the doormen, explaining that I was on the Band's guest list and, having found my friends in a huddle opposite the Cavern, the Doorman kindly took us into the Cavern via the back way.  So now at least we were warm.  But, the guy took us through the curtain from the, as yet, empty Cavern Lounge to the queue waiting on the other side and parked us right at the front. This hasn't happened before as we've usually just been parked in the lounge and waited for everyone else to come in.  As you'd imagine. this went down like a lead balloon with a party from Leicester who had been queueing for an hour.  I had to use all of my charm and diplomacy to diffuse that situation, but I told them all about the Cav Club Beatles and also told them which seats to head for once in, and they were happy. 

Next, after waiting from 1845-1930 for them to start admission to the Cavern Lounge.. the bloke asked me for tickets.  I explained that I had none as we were on the Band's 'Guest List'..  He said we weren't. and that 'anybody could say that'. Not the sort of aggression or 'jobsworth' attitude I've ever met in there before.  But I held my ground and asked him to contact any of the Band members, or the general manager, or one of the owners..  mentioning all of their names.  I also showed him the conversation I'd had with Tony Coburn only hours before on Whatsapp, confirming that we were expected.  They let us in.  We claimed some seats to one side and I watched the party from Leicester come in next and grab the front and centre seats they wanted.   

It was, as usual, a terrific show with a great party atmosphere and everyone getting into the spirit, re-living the Beatle era and generally going daft.

I didn't get to speak to any of the band.

Then we went out from the Cavern to get a taxi.  Absolute nightmare.  Freezing weather and seemingly all of the taxis passing by without stopping. Never seen that before  just by the Cavern. Some people getting close to 'kicking off', as everyone was very cold.. though no snow.

Lots of young people totally underdressed and some young girls very underdressed indeed..  I don't have a problem with that as such, but I marvel at how they avoid Hypothermia.  My youngest went out some years ago to the famous Wigan Boxing Night celebrations.. which are fancy dress. She was just about 18 and went dressed as one of the Destiny's Child group. from their 'Survivor' video.  So basically skimpy mock leopardskin top, very short skirt and bits of fur round her wrists and ankles.  She and boyfriend were back by 9:00 pm freezing.. having given up on queuing just to get into places. They ended up in PJs instead, drinking wine and watching daft films.

It was almost 3:00 am before we got a Cab and 4:00 before I got home, having dropped my friends at their hotel.

Tony from the band texted today and asked if we'd been in as he didn''t see us.  When I told him what happened he was livid.  Said he'd written me and some other friends onto a  guest list, as per normal practice, and given it to the manager, but clearly that didn't work.

Still. it all came right in the end. :)

Col

• Like 3
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Lots of young people totally underdressed and some young girls very underdressed indeed..  I don't have a problem with that as such, but I marvel at how they avoid Hypothermia. 

Seems to be a national thing. That can be seen on St James' Street every time there's a Nottstalgia meet-up.

Had to take the car to Boston today at 14.00hrs to have new discs and pads fitted,it was very cold out there and the Toyota main agents where I had the work done said to come back about 17.00-17.30hrs to pick the car up,so,instead of walking round Boston for a few hours we decided to have a bus pass ride to Lincoln,(just missed the bus for Skeg) have a cuppa and sandwich or sommat then catch a bus back to Boston in time to pick the car up,what a bloody mistake that was, the bus went through about every village and hamlet that side of Lincolnshire and we arrived in Lincoln one hour fifty minutes later,just enough time to nip to the toilet (20 bloody pence to have a leak) then catch the same bus back at four o'clock only to get back to Toyota Boston at 17.50hrs,ten minutes before they closed,cutting it fine or what,them Brylain buses are most uncomfortable,the only positive to come out of the day was at least we were in the warmth instead of walking round Boston (what a tip)

Rog

• Like 2

Went round to see the old fella at the end of the close who I am looking after since breaking his leg,I go there every day about nine o'clock to make sure he's ok and make him a cuppa, we ahve a natter about owt and nowt and I listen to him having a good moan about things in general, I am about to go there again with the dinner I have just made for him,roast pork,carrots,new spuds a small yorkie pud and gravy,I like to do him a proper dinner every day to make sure he gets a balanced diet, for tea I'll do him a jacket spud with either cheese or beans followed by fresh fruit of mandarin orange segments and blue berries in a blackcurrent flavoured jelly, I do vary his dinners though from chicken,pork,fish etc you know the usual type of stuff,I know he is grateful even though he is a cantankerous old sod but no one else seems to bother, I think he's upset everyone in the close in the past but they should be like me and don't take any notice of him, anyway time to take his dinner round and sit with hime for a bit,catch you all later

Rog

• Like 10
34 minutes ago, plantfit said:

who I am looking after since breaking his leg

The way I wrote that sounds like I broke his leg,I didn't, if I was going to break owt it would probably be his neck  :rotfl:

Rog

• Like 3

The thing is he hasn't got anyone else and how many times do we read of the elderly or anyone for that matter who was left alone only to be found weeks later dead,It's such a shame that in this day and age that we don't know who lives next door let alone down the road,you never know when we will need help

Rog

• Like 3

Always good to be nice to people who others ignore, they are usually a bit taken aback that someone actually cares,and its good for them.

I talk to everyone, only this morning on a local bus full of Spanish, an obvious local drunk boarded,talking shite to every one,all the locals ignored or shouted at him, i couldnt resist (much to the wifes chagrin) and told him to "se bueno" amigo",he sat down and concentrated on me, couldnt understand much of what he was saying,but he was smiling and left everyone else alone, when he got off the bus he shook my hand with "adios senor" just like being in Bulwell,  lol,

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Well I'm still here this morning.  Paws and tail all present and accounted for.  This in spite of the dire warnings of the weatherman last night.  Thunder and lightning 'til about 2:30 a.m.  I didn't sleep much and poor old Jake was not happy at all.  He's sawing of Zzzs now catching up.  Maybe some places did have tornado's etc. I hope not, but I haven't seen the news yet.   I just wish these weathermen wouldn't make such a drama of it.  They ramble on for ever ( between drug commercials) with their maps covered in red areas while a line of text across the bottom of the screen warns which counties are in danger of being wiped of the map.   They are like the boy who cried wolf.  We become so inclined to ignore them that if we ever do get wiped off the map we will wonder what hit us.

If they'd just said, chance of a thunderstorm tonight.  It could be severe.  That would be enough.  Anyway there's me first moan of the day.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, catfan said:

He wouldn't have been allowed on a Bulwell bus in my day Ben !

Probably not catfan, but a situation can often be difused,with a friendly word,i really believe "its good to talk"

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Arrived at the Brittany cottage this morning in lovely dry conditions and the sun is shining. Birds on song and eyeing up the nesting boxes. Primroses abound and seem to grow while watching them. Fish in the pond came to me for breakfast. Log burner glowing and ..... why are we selling this place?? No deposit paid by buyers yet so I'm almost hoping that the sale falls through ;)....don't tell Mrs PP :rolleyes:

ps ....tasted the cidre in 3 barrels. One is vinegar. One is nice. One is superb. the forth has not tap on it so will try with a siphon tube later.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

The thing is Ian we live in a small close (14 bungalow's) and not one of them has been to see him or opened a window and asked me how he is when I walk past their places with his dinner plates, I'm sure this wouldn't happen in Nottingham,Lincolnshire folk are very selfish people who only think of themselves

Rog

I taught for a year in Lincolnshire and can't say I liked those I met.

Our next door neighbour's daughter, when I was a child, married a man from Louth. His mother in law disliked him. He had been a market gardener in Louth and grew all sorts of things in his garden in Clifton. CT will know who I'm talking about.

My mother was very good to our next door neighbour, did her shopping, helped her out wherever possible. I remember the son in law bringing my mother a bag of home grown tomatoes for which he charged her more than the local Greengrocery going rate. His mother in law and his wife both clouted him.

A more money-grubbing person I have never met!

• Like 3