How's your day?

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I too don't want to use my phone for car audio..

Just taken our new car in for a service and one of the things they offered was to install Apple or Android car play into the car. I will not have anything to do with Apple based on their early customer model that you had to buy specific Apple cables, chargers or headphones. they lost me as a customer then, similar experience with early Sony products. When we said no the service guys were taken aback and said "but everyone has had it installed". When asked what could I do with it they said run google maps through your phone, why? the car has a perfectly serviceable GPS system. Play radio and music via your phone why? when the car has a perfectly good radio and I can use the USB for music. The car already has Bluetooth connectivity so I can answer the phone. The car converts text to speech so I don't see any added value. The other thing they said was that it alters/changes the way the system works, why would I want that when it has taken months to work out how to get the current one to do what I want it to do.

It seems like technology for technologies sake and no I don't want to check instatwitface as I refuse to have anything to do with antisocial media even if it could do that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

It seems like technology for technologies sake

Looking at the latest Merc there is a 'G' force meter you can display on the dash. I think it's about as much  use as a chocolate fireguard.

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

but it looks like a pig of a job to get at it.  One day I'll get into it and sort out some sort of input for Digital.. but it won't be tomorrow..

It looks like it's a pig of  job because it is. The transmission tunnel cover has to come of as does the majority of the dashboard.

Will you be wearing a 'g' suit on Wednesday Brew? Re gismo's in cars - I suppose there comes a point when cars become toys. I've given up on new cars. Had my fussy out of posh Mercs and LR's. My last LR had gismo's galore but most were a waste of time. A fortnight ago I led a working party on our club water on the Dove. Me in my fishing wagon - an 04 reg X Trail. The others were in newish Disco's. Guess who got stuck when crossing the field? Not me. The Disco's have settings for all conditions but they were worthless in the field.

The more technology there is in a car, the more there is to go wrong, and it's not something you can fix yourself.

Then the main dealer will charge you several hundred pounds to run a diagnostic test to find out what the problem is, and that's before doing anything to fix the problem.

Sat navs are useful; reversing/parking cameras are useful, but I've always thought such features as electric windows, automatic lights and wipers are an unnecessary waste of time - and money.

Entirely agree with you C.T. Electric windows etc., I  much prefer winding handles, at least the driver has control.

Same with the lights, what's wrong with a switch for goodness sake? Like all electric gizmos, they're alright when they're working.

Oi  !!! Just think, if your out in the desert with a car door and window winder. If if gets too hot you can wind the window down. Can't do that if it's  electric.

I do like electric windows. I can control them all from the driver's door armrest on my Civic, which is handy. Apart from things such as seat belt warnings and reversing sensors, the Civic has few gadgets.  But.. they all still work after 16 years..which was not the case with assorted cars I had previously.  Door mirror heaters are handy as I always forget to clear them of frost when doing screens. remote mirror adustment too, though they dont fold in when you switch off.

My fave is the cruise control which can be really useful..if only to allow you to move your feet about a bit on long runs. to avoid cramp.  It works well even down to 30mph which is handy for avoiding 'speed creep'..

Oddly, for such a well built car, there are a couple of silly weaknesses. For e.g., the light which indicates sidelights/dips 'on' is all but invisible, day or night.  Also, cruise control master switch, and the combined trip meter/odometer/mpg readout button are all but unaccessible whilst driving. 

2 hours ago, Brew said:

It looks like it's a pig of  job because it is. The transmission tunnel cover has to come of as does the majority of the dashboard.

Not sure about the transmission tunnel, as it's FWD, but yes, a lot of stuff has to come off the dash.  Annoyingly, there's a compartment immediately below the radio console which is clearly just pushed in. If I could get that out it would allow access to the back of the Radio, but numerous efforts have failed and I don't want to break anything.  Maybe look at doing the job properly on a nice summer's day.

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

. Guess who got stuck when crossing the field? Not me. The Disco's have settings for all conditions but they were worthless in the field.

A car can have all the technology in the World and still get stuck if the driver doesn't know how to work with it.

One of my cars has Automatic headlights, they come on and off controlled by a light sensor.

Well they do if you put the switch to the automatic setting, otherwise they don't come on at all, ,,so they aren't truely automatic.

You can buy a scanner at a reasonable price, I have one, the only problem is learning the codes. They also save you money. unscrupulous repair shops, and dealers fit that mould too!! Try to say this that or the other is faulty, when your scanner say's it's just one sensor!!

The socket to plug a scanner into is just under the steering column and to the right or left of it.

My wife had MItsubishi Shoguns for many years. The only time we ever lost traction was at at a farm auction where the tyres just wouldn’t grip on a flat grassy field. It was most embarrassing having to be pushed along by a bunch of burly farmers and not a good advertisement for the marque,

I have a double sloped hill, and anticipated it would be slippy from where I parked and was in 4wd low range, but just to slick. Maybe this year we will bet a truck load of gravel and make a proper driveway up the hill. Pity they don't fit dif locks like tractors have, amazing what a difference they make in very slick conditions.

3 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

You can buy a scanner at a reasonable price, I have one, the only problem is learning the codes. They also save you money. unscrupulous repair shops, and dealers fit that mould too!! Try to say this that or the other is faulty, when your scanner say's it's just one sensor!!

The socket to plug a scanner into is just under the steering column and to the right or left of it.

I’ve got an OBD (onboard diagnostic scanner). The codes are generally universal and you can find them online. You can buy a unit that plugs directly into your OBD socket which will interface with your mobile ‘phone if a suitable app is downloaded. I’ve never needed to the use the scanner on our own cars but I have helped a few other people out.

Mines an OBD2 scanner, I can take the code from the trucks onboard computer and bring the scanner to my computer and down load the codes, bit easier than reading everything on the scanners small screen.

The scanners that the workshops use are much larger bits of kit. I imagine they can reset the computer systems rather than just diagnose or turn off the warning light. The trouble with main dealers is that you can’t get to speak with the guy working on the car but have to deal with someone in a suit behind a desk. Last year at Jaguar Lincoln they had a complete airhead of a girl who didn’t appear to know what day of the week it was!

56 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Not sure about the transmission tunnel,

Showing my age, it's not called the transmission tunnel now it's the center console. It has to come out to release the lower part of the dash.

The most useless bit of kit are the electric seats. All have several motors, heaters, coolers etc but how often do you use them? Once the seat is adjusted how often are they moved? even the headrests are electric and to me it's just so much more weight to lug around and burn fuel.

Bring back the Ford Popular, with wind down windows and wipers that never worked when going uphill.

8hp, side valve engine and starting 'handle. You knew where you were with them, provided you pulled in a layby 

to let the engine cool down, after about 45mins driving.:rolleyes:

• Like 1