How's your day?

A sad day for us today. I found our favourite hen dead in one of the nesting boxes. The others seem fine and she was OK at 4pm yesterday. Is it avian Flue? We have checked with the vet who put us on to DEFRA who put us on to the Govt link who said they would reply within 20 days! After 3 phone calls and emails I still don't know wether to save the bird for examination or to burn her?

The others look really perky today and have laid 4 eggs between them, which is very good for mid winter. just hoping that DEFRA don't want them put down.  

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Hard luck about your hen PP. Let's hope what ever it was doesn't spread to the rest of the roost.

Here's wishing you and yours, a better New Year.

• Like 1

Been playing about with photos again.  This is a bit of an experiment>

50780508923_c00186c579_c.jpg

The above is an edited version of what I put on Facebook earlier.  Some have seen it.  I'm still struggling to get my head around the menu and functions of my Lumix TZ200..which is more like a computer that happens to take pics.. than a camera with some digital functions.  :wacko:

Also having problems with Flickr..which gets worse by the day..even though I have a subscription.

On 12/29/2020 at 5:57 AM, radfordred said:

I believe we will be in the same position if not worse this time next year & possibly the year after, this virus is going nowhere. 

Learn to live with it, you’ve just lost one year of your very short life, enjoy yourself it’s later than you think.

Red.. vulnerable people cannot 'learn to live with it'.  It's a lottery and if they get it, they have a pretty high chance of dying. It is THAT simple.

If our incompetent Govt. can manage to roll out the vaccine without needing to pour billions into their mates' pockets for a second class service..like the testing fiasco.. then it follows that the more people who are vaccinated.. the less easily the virus will transmit. It should then become less prevalent in general and less deadly to those who do catch it.

Sensible people.. even after vaccination.. will be careful...at least for either the three weeks needed for initial protection to develop, or for the twelve weeks between first and second doses... when even better protection develops.

As far as I can tell.. we do not yet know how long the protection lasts.. so it may be that we need annual.. or even more frequent jabs..like the Flu.  (Though it needs spelling out again that Covid is NOT a 'Flu' virus.. . but more closely related to viruses which cause the 'Common Cold'.) And as I think our own Carni and Chris have told us. it is no walk in the park.

Of course.. the virus will still be out there.. much like other Cold and Flu viruses.. and it will no doubt continue to mutate... much like the Cold and Flu virus.. and all other Viruses... but with luck..a following wind and a sufficient proportion of the population vaccinated.. the effects on normal life will gradually diminish.  This will not happen overnight. I'm prepared to think in terms of months.

Of course viruses do not have 'consciousness'.. so they do not knowingly adapt.. but it seems to me that any virus which kills too many of its victims will eventually do itself out of a job. It therefore follows that in evolutionary terms.. a virus which mutates to only cause a mild and rarely fatal virus.. is more likely to endure.

• Like 4

Cheer all of us up !!!! why don't you.

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Well we are in tier 4, we have 5,6,7 & as many more numbers they can find, this virus is going nowhere, it’s here to stay, that flu jab you speak of, it don’t stop you getting flu? 

Well it stopped me getting flu!

I agree that Covid is here to stay and that is the very reason that we should get vaccinated asap. I read the leaflet that was given to me during the jab session yesterday. Although we may still get the virus after the jab it will be in a milder form and less deadly. Eventually, pretty much where we are with the flu.

The most important thing is that everyone has the jab. None of this silliness from the anti jab brigade, ignorance of the realities, and negativity will help no one.

Good post DJ  

• Like 6

RR Have you got your head in the sand? You seem to be very flippant about this whole thing. Maybe we have got this virus for keeps but there is hope for a bit of relief from it. Wake up and hope along with the rest of us and dont be so pessimistic

• Like 6
6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

And as I think our own Carni and Chris have told us. it is no walk in the park.

As PP said 'A very good post' DJ. My chance here again. to get my tuppence worth in. Seven weeks down the line and we still get breathless just walking around the house, coughing and gasping for breath every morning. The easiest of jobs leave us having to sit down to catch our breaths. Chris is awaiting a chest x ray as he has real trouble breathing, and the Doc wants to know the damage.

You will talk to people out there who have had Covid 19 who will say it was a walk in the park, there are those unfortunate souls so ill, who ended up not making it and those like us somewhere in the middle.. Please, Please, get your jabs, we have been in fear for our lives this last few weeks. If you are one of 'The walk in the park victims', you wont understand what it is like to be one of the people who get sicker, believe me. DONT RISK IT. I am not a scaremonger. Just DO IT.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Just to add to the subject of vaccines I found this on another site and it sums up my views if I should have the vaccine. I hope they do not mind me copying it.

vaccine.jpg

Caption:
Unvaccinated and vaccinated boys with smallpox
Description:

Boy on left was not vaccinated and has severe smallpox while boy on right was vaccinated and has mild smallpox. This photograph is from a collection of lantern slides used by Philadelphia physicians to illustrate the risks of not vaccinating. Early 1900s.

Creator:
The Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
  • Like 3

After Sam and Babs had stripped the Christmas tree...we decided to take all decorations down and clean the Lounge...I was left to rearrange the Ornaments (mostly Cat figures weve picked up over the years)

So seeing as i have a Certificate for ''Window Dressing''' i decided to decorate our front window with them....think they look good...however to finish the job off i placed a 16 inch Bronze figure of a naked hansom couple embracing......i tell everyone me and Donna posed for it...early days..........:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Ben, don’t your 2 cats sit on the  window sill to look out of the window?  Our cats would soon knock off any ornaments!

Syd does......but hasn't since the Ornaments went in....they are quite heavy...so maybe he'll not bother messing with em...we'll have to see.......

The flu jab considerably reduces your chances of getting flu, but the vaccine is produced using the previous year’s flu virus.  This means that the flu jab MAY not be TOTALLY effective against the current year’s flu virus as it may have mutated, but it is certainly worth having.  Some protection is much better than none!

• Like 4
7 hours ago, radfordred said:

Well we are in tier 4, we have 5,6,7 & as many more numbers they can find, this virus is going nowhere, it’s here to stay, that flu jab you speak of, it don’t stop you getting flu? 

Sorry to be blunt Red but you are simply wrong.

The Flu vaccine does not eliminate all risk of getting Influenza. But, it does protect millions of people so that they either don't get Flu.. or suffer less if they do.  And just to be sure.. you do know the difference between a cold.. which is mostly felt as a runny snotty nose, headache, chills etc.. and maybe sore throat.. and Influenza..which is characterised by high fever, aches, pains but mostly respiratory issues?  Most people can continue to function..even with quite a nasty cold.  Influenza flattens people.  Flu can..and does..kill.  Govt. spending on Flu vaccines is not really a Public Health decision... it is an economic decision..as it is cheaper to stop/slow the bug than to deal with the absences from work and the strain on the NHS caused by a 'bad' Flu year.

Talk of tiers is a bit of a red herring.  If people were observing the basic precautions..we probably wouldn't need such measures.. but it is obvious that many people are simply ignoring precautions and that is why the virus continues to spread. The point of restrictions is to slow the spread so that the NHS has at least a chance of coping.                                                                                                                                         The vaccine offers hope and a chance of safety to the older and the vulnerable.  Without it.. we all have to continue to hide.. or risk the very real chance of death.  But, more than that.. the vaccine should limit spread and eventually mean that most people are either protected by the resulting 'herd immunity' (I hate that phrase) or protected as individuals.                                                                                                                                                                                                                       This is not rocket science.

• Like 4

For some reason the Return key on my keyboard doesn't seem to be working.  It's OK everywhere else..but seems to be yet another 'bug' on this site.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

The Flu vaccine does not eliminate all risk of getting Influenza

Too right, Col. Only had flu once - that was enough. For 12 years now I've had my 'flu jab. It's a best guess job - they check which strain is prevalent in the Antipodes, and work on that. Any vaccination, kids or adult, is a mixture of science, experience and faith.

PS: just noticed my keyboard is playing up. Have to keep re-typing - is that just me?

Hope you all feel better next year, mentally, physically and spiritually

Take care of yourselves and each other!

• Like 3

My day has been much the same as every other day for the most of this year.

But next year is going to start off the same but it is going to turn into one of the best years of my life, I do not know how but with things starting to change its going to be great for me and for all on here.

So I wish you all a happy and healthy new year and may all your hopes and dreams be fulfilled.

• Like 2