• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Brew,

I do resent the presence of, so called, royalty and as such it fails to win my loyalty to their cause or to the benefits in continuing with its existence.

Further, I see no benefits with any of the current governmental administrations, Boris included. 

I consider the unwritten rule that royalty cannot be physically touched as equally ridiculous and silly. 

This, 'no touching the monarch rule', goes beyond any sensible excuse for protocol.

It is truly an outdated custom purely to raise the monarch's mythical aura of glorification in the minds of the few. The many appear far more clear headed.

Fair enough, if you don't like them or even the idea that's your prerogative.

Philip coined the term the 'firm' and in many ways that's exactly what  they are , a business with the idea of representing the UK and projecting all things British around the world.

Benefits? the top 12 tourist attractions in the UK have connections with royalty and the tourist board estimate they bring half a billion pounds annually to the economy.

If there are no benefits with the administration  presumably you think there are better ways, what do you propose?

The no touching rule, famously broken by Mrs Obama, is little more than common curtesy. A custom and practice established from need and security rather than any sense of aloofness. Neither you nor I would consider touching a total stranger and I for one would not like strangers touching me without good reason or permission.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it is worth remembering that the institution of Parliament.. which so often fought tooth and nail against the Monarchy, now draws a certain much needed 'gravitas' from the fact that the Queen is constitutionally the Head of State.  That is why Johnson's lying to the Queen last year made very clear his contempt for Parliament, and by extension, the people of this country.

I've already said that I really don't have much interest in the monarchy and from a Paperazzi/Gutter press point of view I have none.  That however does not mean that I want them gone.  I'm in rare agreement with Brew on this one.  They bring in tourist dollars...  lots of them..  I can't see many queuing up to get a Selfie in front of Boris' gaff.

• Like 1

Today, it being warmish and more importantly, not blowing a gale.. I resumed operations on the re-laying of the paving at the back of the house.  I carefully prepared the ground for another couple of slabs..

It started raining..

An hour or so later it stopped, and I dragged a bag of cement out of the garage and round the house, as well as switching the outside tap on from indoors at the shut off valve.

I was about to open a bag of sand when....

It started raining again.

I took the cement back to the garage... blasphemed a bit and gave up.

As Billy Fury famously said..  Maybe Tomorrow.

Ian.. that is a sound enough principle... until you start running out of tomorrows.....:wacko:

Thankyou DJ and BK for the information of the films you mentioned. I was looking forward to watching them but I can't find them on YouTube or Amazon prime . They are just unavailable here and I can't get into Bbc iplay or whatever it's called. But thanks again for the thoughts.

Nonna, if you can get you tube, then try this...

Click on the search icon and tap in, Lad" a Yorkshire story. That's how I got mine and I've still got it in my 'history.

Also do you have a DVD player.?

On 2/22/2021 at 7:12 PM, Beekay said:

Nonna, if you can get you tube, then try this...

Click on the search icon and tap in, Lad" a Yorkshire story. That's how I got mine and I've still got it in my 'history.

Also do you have a DVD player.?

BK I did look up the film but it's a pay for viewing . I can't remember what the paid view is called but I already pay for Prime and I don't feel like paying extra to watch perhaps one film. Yes I do have a DVD player but it is in storage. When we finally get it out it probably wont work:wacko:

I have a small portable DVD/CD which my grandson wsa going to put in the bin, as he said it was out of date huuummmmmmmm maybe this was about 6 years ago, but this little thing is my sanity, I can watch play music via head phones. It has been with me on all my travels. Yes it's old but it does the job that I ask it to do. Hopefully I will never be with out it.

I'm still using a DVD recorder/player that is at least 25 years old. It's analogue so cannot record from TV but I can make DVDs from my camera or copy discs (I don't mean pirates). I've also still got and use a VHS recorder, plus a full size VHS video camera, though that gets a bit heavy nowadays. I tend to use a 100gb HD camera. Why get rid if they're still working.?

Thing is LL, you can't flog stuff nowadays and charity shops don't want electrical gear because they have pay for a Pat test. So my philosophy is, if it still works, use it!!

• Upvote 1

One of the hens is being pecked and the damage looks serious. She will be put into her new isolation ward today and hopefully recover. Unfortunately I am having to give up a third of my man coup where her 'kitchen unit' house and run are being built.

Funny things hens! The pecked one used to be the boss. Now they all turn on her and the worst offender was originally the most nervous.

Our doctor is adjacent to a pay and display car park. Today we used our last fifty pence piece and realised that since lockdown and pay by card we now only have the grand total of eigthy seven pence in coins bewteen us.

I am having a problem charging my Laptop. The connection seems to be hit and miss at the moment. I believe at sometime I must have tripped over my charger and possibly damaged it.

Hence I have to completely closedown each time I  have been on the social network,  At the moment I can use it for approximately 15/30mins at a time and then I have to recharge and go through the starting up procedure again.

Does anyone have any tips to keep me going. When I plug in to charge up, I have to wiggle the connection until it connects? Can take a while to get the little light on and then it can drift off again. :wacko:

If you're sitting at a desk or table Carni, why not just leave it connected. That way you'll be running on mains rather battery. I've got a 12" lap top that won't hold a charge, but works fine on mains. You can't replace the battery unfortunately. 

• Like 1

We’re rapidly now becoming a cashless society. In some ways that’s good as those who do jobs for cash and deprive the Revenue of tax won’t be able to function illegally as they can’t hide their financial transactions. On the other hand those of us who have been pleased to pay cash for a cheap job (and we’ve probably all done it) will have to pay full price, probably plus VAT. The lockdowns have brought forward many things that would eventually have happened like the closure of high st. shops in favour of online purchasing.