How's your day?

Ah now I understand, you have what is known as a 'weir' overflow where the overflow slots sit in a ceramic well. You didn't say in your original post the overflow was cast into the sink...

The bottom seal is important, so is the plug  inside of the sink.

From the net on fitting a weir type overflow:

Caution !! If you look at the slotted waste you may notice, that unlike any other waste,  waste water can run down the thread and cause a leak. This is why it is important to seal the thread  on a slotted waste and not just rely on the washer.

The easiest way to seal the thread is to run a full circle, bead of silicone around the thread before you spin on the nut and tighten it. Applying the bead nearer to the underside of the sink will reduce the chance of getting silicone over your hands.

Some sink fitters may prefer to use traditional plumber's putty instead of silicone to waterproof the waste.

10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

IIRC ( 'If I recall correctly..' Will you lot ever adopt the eminently reasonable shorthand of the internet?)

No...:rolleyes:

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, radfordred said:

so just be careful with your DIY & bodging it could come back to bite you, thank me later 

I'm not bodging.  I'm rectifying a bodge.

Also, the leak is  easily visible.

43 minutes ago, Brew said:

Ah now I understand, you have what is known as a 'weir' overflow where the overflow slots sit in a ceramic well. You didn't say in your original post the overflow was cast into the sink...

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa!! 

What this boils down to is:

I originally fitted the basin in 2009 when I renewed the bathroom.  I also fitted a new 'P' type bath, with a wall mounted shower, showerwall panelling, two hinged showerscreens to form an 'overbath' shower cubicle, ceiling spots and a fab trendy plastic and chrome strip ceiling..oh..and a new stainless steel heated towel rail/radiator...  but that's not important right now...

So.. in 2009 I fitted the basin and in all probability I didn't realise the issue with the thread, but I ended up using some (a small bead of ) Plumber's Mait to achieve a seal.  There is no other reason I can think of why I would still have a largely unused tub of the stuff in the garage.

Fast forward to 2018, when I asked the plumber to construct a new exterior mounted 'soil stack' and plumb it into the sewers. The meant I could finally get rid of an internally mounted soil stack which I hated, and which took up valuable internal space.

So..in the process of fitting said stack for me, the plumber had to re-make the waste connections from bath and wash basin. It is clearly at this point where he had some problems which he decided to 'solve' by lathering the whole thing in Plumber's Mait.  All was well until I had to remove the s-trap to get out the broken toothbrush.. which would not flush away because the waste was half blocked by masses of 'Mait'.

So, I've now replaced the damaged S-trap, but am getting a slight leak from the waste/ceramic join.  Most likely caused by my tightening the old and damaged leaky cross threaded s-trap to try and make it seal, and disturbing the join.  So.when I can face it, I'll remove the waste, clean up and re-seal with Mait..  Meantime, the plastic bin beneath the waste is catching about 5 or 6 drops of water per day.

Now.. if you were familiar with internet shorthand, you could simply dismiss this lengthy post by typing:  TL:DR.  (Too Long.. Didn't Read...) :laugh:

"Well.. you know me.. I've never been one for gossip but I heard 'im at the end there got.."

"He didn't did he,  what in full view?  Ooohh well it just goes to show.."

"Ooooohhh I know.. and as for 'Er at number 27....well I heard that she.."

"She did.. it's true I saw her... and on a Sunday.. but I'm not a bit surprised wot with 'Er bein' no better than she should be..  'Er mother was the same.."

"Ooohh I know..."

:laugh:

• Like 2

'Processing' Tomatoes.

Today I picked yet more tomatoes.  I'm overrun with the things and neighbours have stopped answering their doors when I turn up with another couple of pounds of them.  Thing is.. the big 'Crimson Crush' ones are beautiful, and easy to process into a reduced sauce.  They look quite peculiar inside when cut open and have a lot of very small seed compartments containing very few seeds, rather than the normal two.  The rest is solid sweet flesh. They can be cut into 'burger sized' slices which turn a burger in a bun into something divine.    For storage they just need cooking down, but I do skin them and then whizz up the skins in a blender before adding them back. Not enough seeds to worry about.

The little cherry tomatoes are a different matter.  Delicious when eaten in a salad  or as a snack, but for processing they have far too many seeds and rather thick skins. So..

1. Skin them and keep the skins.

2. Cut in half and squeeze seeds into a bowl and reserve.

3. Begin cooking down the toms.

4. Put the seeds, with their jellyish coating etc into the microwave for a few minutes.  This breaks down the jellyish bit into juice and the seeds.  Then just seive out the seeds and add the juice back to the cooking Toms.

5. 'Whizz up' the skins and add back into the cooking Toms.  They add bulk, colour and loads of vitamins etc.

So.  Sounds like a 'faff', and it is a bit.. but worth it to concentrate all that Summer into little tubs of tomato which can be made into a pasta sauce, added to curries (especially a 'Madras').. or made into soup. 

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Brew said:

Cue Al Read...

He'll not touch you!..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I completed my Hi Fi Nerdyness, by purchasing a Record Cleaning Machine. I've hankered after one for decades.. and given that many of my records are either second hand..or over 60 years old.. it sort of makes sense. 

As with all hi-fi components, it is entirely possibly to spend anything from very little, to eye watering sums.  I was quite restrained and purchased the smallest and cheapest machine in the Pro-ject range.  I've already used such things, either borrowed, or round at friends, and they really do remove amazing amounts of crud..not only from obviously dirty records, but from even brand new ones.  Result is better sound and less stylus wear.

VC-E-6.jpg?fit=1374,1080&ssl=1

This little machine spins the record in either direction whilst it is brushed with cleaning fluid.  A vacuum arm is then lowered onto the record, which removes all fluid..and dirt.

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/vc-e/

Thing is... it needs, at least 'De-Mineralised' water..to make up the cleaning fluid..so that it leaves no residue on cleaned records.. Looks like I'm going to have to go online for that. 'De Ionised' water from Halfords just isn't good enough...:closedeyes:

I did briefly set up an experimental still in the kitchen Saturday afternoon.. to see if I could get a few Mls of distilled water..  but it was very Heath Robinson and needs more work...

All good fun though..

About twenty five years ago, I was helping to clear my mother in law’s garage after her partner died. He was a jobbing builder and had a tendency to “acquire” stuff that was left lying around on sites, including an ancient Record No.1 engineers vice which wasn’t working. I brought it home and it spent more than two decades in a damp shed getting rusty, then a few years under a bench in the garage where the dust stopped it rusting any more.

I dug it out today, gave it a liberal application of 3in1 oil, cleaned it up, and after a bit of effort, finally got it moving in and out. I then found out that the reason it had been discarded in the first place was nothing more serious than a spring retaining pin had broken. Replaced that with a split pin, and It now works perfectly. Now only needs mounting on my workbench.

• Like 2

This afternoon I've mostly been wandering the streets of a city I barely recognise. started from Victoria Centre (Emetts clock is silent now days), down to the square. Long Row, Parliament Street, High Street etc.

Most striking feature? (apart from the new road layout and vast amount of student accommodation), the number of food outlets and women don't wear skirts anymore.

It served to remind me I'm a dinosaur. The food eaten outdoors I don't recognise, the number of youngsters speaking a language I didn't recognise, using a card the ef^&*&^* machine in the car park refused to recognise and to top it all off the optician tells me I have cataracts... I need to lie down now.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

‘How’s My Day?’ Well nothing particularly noteworthy occurred, but how was my Thursday just gone?  
We were in Lilliput, Dorset catching the last of the summer sunshine.  The picture on the TV has been deteriorating recently but my twittering on about it has fallen on deaf ears so I decided to use reverse psychology and never mutter a word again.  It worked a treat and on Thursday my dear husband suggested we go out to buy a new telly.  We set off in MY car to John Lewis in Poole and due to his impatience he scraped one of the near -side alloys on a pavement.    I was furious!  Two minutes later a bloke in a transit van pulled out of a side turning and hit the front near-side of my car, not doing a lot of damage, mainly broken glass of headlight and minor dents but still damned annoying.  Into John Lewis, chose the TV he wanted, paid and organised delivery and went back home.  Turned the old TV on and NOTHING, it had finally given up the ghost.  
We’ve had some of our family down with us this weekend which was lovely, went on the beach and they did a bit of paddle-boarding but decided to get back to Nottingham as soon as they’d left, we need to sort out the car insurance claim and there are a few programmes we’d like to see on TV!! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Well on Sunday I got up earlier than my usual lazy time and determined to cut the grass while I could still move.  It's a simple equation these days.  The longer I'm on my feet, the more painful it gets, so I reasoned that I needed to get the grass done sharpish.  Back lawn done...and that was me finished.  I'll do the front tomorrow..(Monday)..which looks like being a better day anyway.

Spent the rest of the day watching tripe on TV.

Lizzie. TVs are stupidly inexpensive these days so long as you dont want the latest most enormous ones.  Sadly, they are pretty much 'disposable' items now.

Sorry folks but this post should have been put on yesterday!!!

Sunday // Master and I are getting fed up with cooking dinners sorry!! rephase //  I am fed up cooking dinners master only puts comments in. 

CF    Here I go  we have now lived in Jacksdale about 10 years, and visited all the pubs in the area, but we missed one out. Yesterday we went to The Royal Oak at Westwood now I had heard what a nice pub it was plus what good meals it served. If any member wants to visit a real, friendly, wecoming, good food, excellent service  then this is the pub to visit, plus prices are reasonable. I know its far away but maybe one day we could have one of our meet-ups there.

12 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Lizzie. TVs are stupidly inexpensive these days so long as you dont want the latest most enormous ones.  Sadly, they are pretty much 'disposable' items now.

DJ, against my wishes he’s bought a 65” Sony with all the bells and whistles, with the sound coming from the screen, the reason for this is because we don’t need a sound bar (there isn’t room for one)  this over-powering piece of kit cost as much as my parents house when they bought it in 1958.   Mind you, the price does include a very nice wall bracket and the installation.  Oh well, can’t take it with us!

Ian, the Morris 8 gets the occasional airing, we went to the local in it a couple of weeks ago and it attracted a lot of attention. 

Many buy Sony not realising the screen is (depending on model) made by Samsung or LG. Basically you see the same picture as the LG/Samsing but pay a hefty premium for the Sony name.

Pull a modern TV apart and it looks much like a laptop chassis strapped to a big screen which is basically what they are.

5 hours ago, oldphil said:

Just read that Bulwell Academy require a GP's letter before the students(?) can use the toilets during lessons. I appreciate that there will be twenty sides to this story, but what is going on?

There is certainly more to the story than just a headline. 

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/parents-anger-over-military-academy-5926632