How's your day?

24 minutes ago, MelissaJKelly said:

Another stressful day at work today. Horrible to be stuck at work when the weather is so lovely! Hoping an internal transfer into a new role goes through smoothly at work. Currently at home (new home - not sure if I've told everyone that I've fled the nest, moved out and in with my partner) and just enjoyed a delicious steak dinner. Not looking forward to another early start tomorrow!

Ohhhh!  Big move there then Melissa, well done and congratulations.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

All the best Melissa. Steak dinners sounds nice although I've got out of the habit of eating meat.

• Like 1

Raining again today. Its most unusual in may for the weather to be so bad, but when the sun eventually shows itself it s really hot. At the moment I've put the CH back on. We are using the last bag of pellets so it only goes on to take the chill off Dont want to buy anymore for the time being as we order by the pallet load and that will be ordered in autumn or even in summer if this weather continues.

This morning a pack from British Corner Shop arrived. 10 boxes of Crunchy nut, 6 boxes of weetabix organic and syrup flavour.,shreaded wheat bite size and normal plus other bits and pieces that we cant find here.

The problem is now finding places to put everything. Wardrobes , cupboards and drawers are full of english food, jellies for mum, baked beans, tinned rice pudding and tinned custard also for mum, dandelion and burdock, 5 litre container of Lyles golden syrup,, treacle  and cant remember what else. Over £120 worth of goods and no carriage to pay. Yes they are more expensive but if we cant find goods here its worth it to have a bit of home. Dont get me wrong I love Italian food but sometimes I long for something I cant get. Cant get out so a bit of baking is in the air.

• Like 1

Wish I could do that Carni. At the moment I'm stuck with a time factor. The carer for mum goes home earlier than what she used to so it means more time for me seeing to mum. Theres no one else that can look after her..

It must be quite wearing for you, nonna, with the carer  going home earlier than previously.  Does your mum have any naps during the day to give you a bit of a break?   When our parents get old, the roles are reversed - I remember that with my own mum....  it used to make me feel sad that this was the way it had to be from now on.   .  Mum was a very gracious, gentle lady and tried her best 'not to be any trouble' (her words) and, to be honest, she wasn't hard to look after - it was just that someone had to be around for her all the time during the last few weeks of her life.   

Do you think you'll feel a bit better when your weather improves and you (and mum?) can be outude in the sunshine

• Like 1

Margie it is tiring for me even if I cant do anything for my mum (problems with back that doesnt allow me to lean over or bend to do anything for her)

The carer goes at 11.30 and comes back at 3. Mum does have naps , long ones. Carer comes 8.30 and wakes her up, gives her breakfast, leaves her to digest then helps me around the house. Then she will wash and change her but by this time shes fallen asleep again. At midday If she hasnt fallen asleep again I give her lunch and she will sleep again if she sleeps I leave her until she wakes up normally. She gets cross and nasty if we wake her.I do try to do things for myself whilst shes asleep but more than an hour and I have to lie down and rest. I cant get out because I'm  limited to time.

When Ive got time to myself theres no one else to look after her.

The last few weeks we have made a very difficult decision. Considering my own health we have decided to place her in a rest home. Its not what I wanted and I did promise that I would never send her into a home but breaking her femur wasnt on the cards neither were my slipped discs ( turning her mattress because she was convinced there were mice in the drawers.

I couldnt tell her, my husband did that and she agreed , reluctantly that it was for the best but the next 2 days she wouldnt even look at me. Shes never been a considerate person and she can see I'm in pain in the evenings but she just looks at me without a word. She lies watching tv all the time shes awake. So for a change I've connected the ipad to the tv so she can watch the old comedy programmes.

I feel as guilty as hell putting her in care but everyone who knows has said we are doing the correct thing but it doesnt ease the feeling.

Tonight I made her a cottage pie , she took about a teaspoon full and said she didnt want it. She s beginning to look very frail in these last few months. Shes always been a woman that takes care of herself and would never go out without makeup on and still has a lovely skin despite her 96 years

Anyway Margie thankyou for your concern it much appreciated.

Thankyou Margie for your concern.

Forgot to add that shes completly bedridden. We bought walkers and wheelchair but refused to use them. So what can we do?

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I'll be leaving for the dentists in a bit.  Routine cleaning and check up.  He's better than the old school dentist used to be anyway.  ;)

The one on Dr Park's Corner LL?  

I went there when I was at Ashwell Street Infants and ended up walking out with half a dozen fillings.  Certainly wasn't a pleasant experience but strangely it never put me off dentists, have been going regularly every 6 months since those days in the 50s but not to that butcher!  

• Like 1

Nonna, don't beat yourself up about the decision you've made about your Mum.  You've done all that you possibly could, starting with bringing her from Scotland to your home, which I know was difficult in itself.  Hopefully she'll settle into the Care Home quickly.

You can't say you haven't tried ......

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Nonna you are doing the right thing for your mother, you admit due  to your health problems you cannot give her all the care that she needs, so to ensure she receives the standard of care she requires as a loving daughter you are arranging the best possible alternative. You should be proud of the loving care you are providing. Then you must spend time on looking after yourself as you also have a wider family to look after. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lizzie..... Yes, it was the Parks Corner one.  I was just talking about that to the dentist this morning.  We were talking about the old drill with all the pulleys and belts on it.  He agreed that must have been pretty rough.  Like you, I came out with half a dozen fillings.  Funny thing is I still have them to this day, sixty odd years later!  I wonder if I ever really needed them or was it just a money thing?  The more the dentist does the more they collect for it.

• Upvote 1

Thankyou all for your lovely words of comfort. I know its the right thing to do. One of the nurses that came to see mum as soon as she came out of hospital told me my duty was to myself and family, shes had her life and I dont have to neglect her but my health comes before her. I thought at the time that they were harsh words, but I havpe gradually come to realise the words from everyone are the correct ones. It was a very difficult decision. I changed my mind dozens of times thinking it wasn't a way to spend the rest of her life. I love her  but shes not an easy person . She'd spoilt every single friendship she had which is a shame because you need friends.

On a brighter note, this morning I found my 2 little babies scratching at the floor near the stove. A while ago I dropped a heavy object on the floor and it chipped a tile making it obvious that it was interesting to see if it was something to eat. There they were licking and scratching in turn in vain.:wub: I love 'em

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 feels like 28

Pressure 101.30 kPa

Dew point 11

Visibility 16 km 

Humidity 52%

UV Index 5%

Cloud Cover 10%

Posted while horizontal onTorremolinos beach while receiving free internet from the Los Bandoleros restaurant the sunbed & umbrella seller sorted me out with a code. Ain't technology amazing? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

So sorry to hear about your mate Ian. Every day we hear more and more about this terrible disease. I know new treatment and cures are always emerging but for those who have advanced cancer there is little that can be done

• Like 1

To be honest real 'boring'  no insults,,no threats,, did have a party of some 18 stone plus folks..who came in eating Pasties from Geggs, (and that was just the women ) but once digested they were ok,,tried to 'rile' em a bit, but they just laughed.......seemed happy enough so left em alone,,

• Like 1

It's been luvely and quiet here.  Just me and the boys.  ;).   Mrs L went to a family re-Union in Tennessee with her daughter.  I've been to a couple of 'em, but I'm not really into it.  Mrs. L has cousin's ten times removed.  Me?  I'm a lone wolf.  One cousin my age in Bingham and a couple of uncles and aunts older than me.  I've nowt against her family, just don't have a lot in common.  First wife was an only one too so we just had each other and the kids 'til they went and got married.  Mrs. L is supposed to drive back tomorrow but a tropical storm is moving in with lots and lots of rain forecast.  So I've been telling her to stay a bit longer rather than risk driving in it.  BBQ social thingy at church tonight, but I don't think I'll go.  Happy enough here talking to the boys.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Evening!!  Been busy.  Garden. Sun Bathing. Grass Cutting.Trip down the Cavern.. etc..  Just had 2 hours on the phone because No.2 daughter has an infestation of Fruit Flies in her shared house.  Mostly down to some dummy leaving rotten bananas on top of the fridge.. I've told her there is no recorded instance of anyone in the UK being savaged to death by a Fruit Fly, but I'm not sure she's convinced...

Trying to get insurance for my trip to Mexico next year.....  Interesting.  I've had quotes from £1000+, to a mere £370.. for two weeks.  A bit more digging needed I think...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hi Col.

I've never actually been to Mexico and where you are going might be fine, but watch your back anyway!

Years ago a swimming pool contractor that I used to do electrics for took his almost new Toyota Land Cruiser down there.  Within days it was stolen.  He notified the cops, but nothing much seemed to happen.  After a week or so he went to see them again to see if they had any leads.   He was told politely it might be better if he shut up about it and went home.  Nasty things could happen to folks who caused ripples.  He took the hint and left.  His vehicle was never seen again.  I guess he didn't tip 'em enough.

BTW.  Eldest daughter just went and came back ok.  I'm not trying to scare you.  Just be alert.

• Like 1