How's your day?

You'd probably make a good ole hillbilly, Ben.

Mrs L grew up near 'em.  She says a lot of the originals were English.  They had their own little communes in the hills.  She said they were so insular they kept their English accents and the locals used to laugh at them.  Needless to say that made 'em mad.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Almost forgot, last night the Forest shirts for my grandkids arrived, they are surprisingly small. I won’t be seeing them till they come up from Houston in August, i hope they  fit.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, loppylugs said:

That moonshine will rot your tonsils.  What the moonshine doesn't get those hillbilly ladies will.  They make Bulwell seem tame.  ;)

wait 'til Ms Sparrow reads your post. She'll have something to say about it.  Lol.

Well, Ben. You're a one-off and I'm willing to bet they've never seen anyone like you in Banjo Country! As I said earlier, there's something about a bloke in a liberty bodice...and Ben's the only one I know! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

LOL  I Exaggerated slightly Loppy.........but reckon i'd enjoy the ''blue ridge mountains of Virginia''.....bit of a Dance in me Liberty Bodice drinking some ''gud ole Moonshine''...........:)

Ben, the floor is yours..

• Like 2

No dancing here... :(.  Felt pretty rough last night. Chills, headache and  lower abdominal pain.  Mrs Col reckoned it might be a 'touch of the Sun', but since I've spent pretty much all day everyday outside in 'minimal attire' for the last month, I can't see why yesterday should be any different... In fact I was not in the Sun for as long as usual yesterday as I had to get my car in for new brake calipers.  And I do always wear a hat.... at least..  A bit sinusy too.  Wondering if it's maybe pollen related, or some sort of low level summer bug.  Who knows?  Anyway.. I survived the night and feel a bit better today .. so there's hope ;)  I could linger for months yet...

Great dancing though Willow.  I wonder how much it owes to influences from say Ireland, or Lancashire Clog Dancing etc... ?

Found some info here which says as much and more. Worth a read:  http://www.blueridgemusicnc.com/about/mountain-dancing

Col

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Getting used to this doing nowt lark...

Most jobs are passed on now.. the 'flush' ones i'm holding onto a little bit longer.

Garden is spanking...and i've done the ironing...even the towels.

Had a phone call from Spain..Madam won a bottle of Moet last night singing 'i could be so good for you' ( Minder).

She loves Dennis Waterman...out until 6.30..in the a.m !

Having a ball ..and in the middle of it all...don't know where she gets it from...?

If i hear from the Irish Embassy..i'll let you know.

Where's that hoover.....

I’m with you Ian, going to be on my own for the most of July can’t wait. 

• Like 1

I think you are are right on the Irish influence in the Appalachians, Col.  I have often thought that the Hillbilly fiddle music closely resembles stuff I've heard from Ireland and Scotland.  I suppose that adds up when we remember the Irish potato famine forced a lot to leave and come to the US.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I think you are are right on the Irish influence in the Appalachians, Col.  I have often thought that the Hillbilly fiddle music closely resembles stuff I've heard from Ireland and Scotland.  I suppose that adds up when we remember the Irish potato famine forced a lot to leave and come to the US.

I think I remember reading something to that effect and apparently that Hillbilly clog dancing was derived from Irish step dancing 

• Like 1

From Clogs to Clegs!!!

I've spent most of the last month practically kitless in the garden.   No problems and no bites.  Today it's a bit cloudy and there are signs of rain.  Stepped out of the back door to bring my weight training dumb bells in and just as I stepped back in onto the new kitchen tiles, a 'Cleg', or Horse Fly landed on the back of my hand. Having 8Kg of steel in each hand I couldn't do much and I certainly wasn't going to drop the weights on the new floor, so before I could sweep the little B£$%%$r off my hand with a weight....  she'd got me.   I know it was a she because only the females bite.  They need blood to produce eggs.

The good bit is that the common dirty brown Horse Fly Haematopota Pulvialis, also known as the Cleg,  has a relatively mild bite.  It itches like mad, but not for too long.  A day or so. Horse flies are members of the Tabanidae group.

Worse, to me at least are the smaller things from the Simulidae group.. known as Black Flies.  They can inflict bite which would drive you nuts and keep itching for weeks.  There are at least a couple of thousand different species in each group!  They tend to appear around streams and water, especially in damp weather. I hate the little so and so's...

Col

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sounds worse than here, Col.  We have. ' noseeums.'  Little so and so's that you literally cannot see, but you know when one bit you.  A nasty lttle blister raises on you skin and you could scratch yourself silly.  I used to get bitten when I took the dogs out.  I say used to, because I bought an electric bug zapper.  It's like a small tennis racquet.  I just wave it around me when I'm out.  (Must look ridiculous). Every so often there is a satisfying Zzzap!  Never even saw what it hit, but I've only been bitten once or twice this year.

Interestingly enough I just read an article claiming there are far less bugs.  The front of the car and windshield used to be covered in them.  Now next to none.  Fewer bees too.  I wonder what is causing that?

• Like 1

Hornets are very common here. I was stung a few years ago on my hand. Imagine a million wasps stinging you all at the same time - that's what it felt like. Worse than that, though was the following pain and swelling. My hand swelled to about twice its normal size in a very short period of time and went a purple/red colour.

It was several weeks before the pain and swelling decreased and even now there is some discolouration where the sting was inflicted.

I understand that hornets are now moving north into England. Be warned folks, not to be taken lightly!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Daughter sent me a Video today of 3 yr old Grandson Dancing the night away in Benidorm,,.......at first he was one of many on the Dance floor.......by the end he was the only one and still giving it 'Welly''  when the music finally ended the place gave him great applause.........he took his hat off and gave them a 'Bow',, dead leary, proper Bulwell style,best video ive seen in ages ,bless him,,reckon the boy is going places,, lol.    

• Like 6
6 hours ago, jonab said:

Hornets are very common here. 

Living in the middle of vineyards in summer especially before or during the vendemmia we are very cautious and aware of hornets. A lot of farmers have died before they could get help, so everyone is extra careful. My grandchildren shout "calabrone" Every time they see a large wasp or cockroach in flight.

• Like 2

Was very unusual to sleep in so late. Mrs C arose about 7am to feed the birds etc & brought my tea & tablets up at 8am both went back to sleep until 2pm, must've needed the sleep.

this retirement milarky is best thing yet Ian, best job I've ever had !

• Like 3

I'm in favour of sleep. I'd actually like to be better at it. Maybe I need to train more.

I think I reached Peak Sleep Fitness around 1978, when I worked 12 hour shifts.  I could easily sleep for 14-15 hours at a stretch.  These days.. 5 or 6 is good.. especially in Summer. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, West Bridgfordian said:

Just dropped my lovely tablet, typing through a spider's web now. Must check insurance to see if it's covered.

Certainly worth checking the insurance.  Also.. maybe a long shot, but many phones can be repaired fairly easily by purchasing a kit and following instructions on Youtube..  Might be possible for tablets too?

A little research shows it's possible.  Have a look here:

There are many similar vids on 'the Tube'.

Col

12 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I'm in favour of sleep. I'd actually like to be better at it. Maybe I need to train more.

I think I reached Peak Sleep Fitness around 1978, when I worked 12 hour shifts.  I could easily sleep for 14-15 hours at a stretch.  These days.. 5 or 6 is good.. especially in Summer. 

Me mam used to say, "Gerrup!  Ya die in bed."  Charming!   :biggrin:

No no time for sleep.  The starter cord on me push mower broke.  I've got to go out and fix it before it rains again.

• Like 1