• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

One of the problems Loppy is that most of the guns are reactivated de-acts.

The barrels are smoothed bored and over size hence they are accurate to about 3ft after that the bullets go anywhere. Extremely dangerous to anyone in the area, I sometimes think it would be better to give em the real thing at least then they would kill each other and not innocents.

• Like 2
On 6/16/2018 at 6:38 PM, carni said:

Benj, the queue to send you a PM is endless, you have such allure all the ladies on the forum will end up falling out if you don't choose them. :biggrin:

Going to have to close the invite at 'Midnight' tonight..........been inundated with PMs......even one from a bloke,,

There's going to be so many Disappointed ,sorry,          lol.

Still painting.

3 coats everywhere in matt white.  First coat very thin on the new plaster, then two more coats.  There is no such thing as 'One Coat' paint.  Not if you want a decent finish anyway.

Just the fiddly bits around the 'working' side of the kitchen now.  Lots of sockets etc., to work around.

Course.. this is just the base coat...  Mrs Col may well decide she wants a subtle shade of summat or other on the walls..

I'll just do as I'm told...  It's easier in the end..

10 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Its all happening in Bulwell and Basford in the last 24 hours,, several shots fired near the Park Tavern on Arnold road,,car that fired the shots found abandoned on Gayhurst green,,man arrested in Bestwood,,doe'snt say Village,Estate, or Park.

Then in Wetherspoons Bulwell,,Police called at 8.15 am.....after man threatened Barmaid,, must be this warm weather,, though 8.15 am a bit early int'it,,they don't serve alcohol while 9am,,  never a dull moment in this neck of the woods.

Park Tavern seems OK .  Some of my relatives are regulars  and we've held many family celebrations.. and a couple of wakes, including my Mum's and my Sister's there.  Hopefully, the location of the shooting was just a coincidence.   Unless it was women mobsters fighting over Ben?  I can see the film now...  'Angels With Dirty Liberty Bodices'.  :)

• Like 4
On 6/20/2018 at 4:36 PM, FLY2 said:

A glorious 27 in Concarneau today, but the local brew cooled me. Too many steps, moules and crepes, and not enough steaks, but having a week in Northumberland next week, so I can catch up on red meat ! Oh, and decent bitter ! englandflag

Some phenomenal ice creams though !

And frost,.. if my recent experience is owt ter be gewin' by.... ;)

Due to a fall a while ago i have not been able to clean our house as it needs so i decided to get a local lady in to help. I have been woken up this morning by Mum and Aunty having a tidy up before she arrives, lost for words.

• Like 6

Same here Gem, herself has a 'quick whip round' before the cleaning lady arrives.

• Like 1

Told today at work ,i need to be more hands on'' ie humping equipment all over the option,, sat there in me 3 piece suit,tie,cuflinks,, Gucci shoes,, etc, and said ''do i look as if i'm liable to start humping shit about ? i'm here for what the last company employed me for ,security/meet/greet, which i excel at,,......welcome sir/madam..........put that fag out,,stop swearing,,Park properly,,  etc,, have a nice day,, coffee two sugars,,not a problem,thank you,,......they talking to me later........could be hasta la vista baby''       their loss,, i know i'm great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

It certainly is Phil ,...maybe old fashioned but like to be Appreciated.........already had two other offers,,,,,oldies can reign............

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great day today. Our garden along with another 17 was open to the public. It's the first time we have done this. Very hard work but quite fulfilling - meeting loads of people and neighbours.  Our garden is average size but enjoys a pretty courtyard entrance complete with ancient well. Trouble is that some of the garden has been neglected due to our extensive periods away.  To make the garden interesting to visitors I set up the cider making equipment , exhibiting the process from apple to cider, finished in bottles and oak barrels. Went down a treat. The stationary engine aquired from plantfit started up easily and ran very smoothly - thanks Rog. Our scarecrow seems to have drawn a few votes in the competition too, aptly named 'Ciderman'.....dadadada..........da. :yahoo:

• Like 6

Been on a coach trip today to Sheringham with the church...  had a great time with about 20 adults and 16 children.  The oldest person on the trip was over 80 and the youngest was 8 months so quite a range, but we all got on well (as always).   Some of the younger ones went swimming, also one of the adults (not me)   I love just sitting there looking at the sea - the tide was coming in when we arrived so there was some sand for making sand castles but then the waves got very big as they hit the stony slope of the beach.  We saw someone surfing nearby - the waves were certainly big enough for that.

So a picnic on the beach, an ice-cream mid-afternoon and fish & chips before getting back on the coach... all with great company.   Even the weather was good... what more could you ask?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Well I'm still trying to get this flippin' kitchen painted before the warm weather reaches us.  I noticed we were the coolest place south of Scotland today.. at a mere 20c and with a keenish edge to the breeze.  But, I was mostly indoors painting.  It's not as if it's a big kitchen.. but rather than just 'hoik' everything out and do it in one big sesh.. I decided to do it in stages.  So Thursday I did the ceiling and all areas above the cupboards.  3 coats onto new plaster., Carefully removing the ceiling spots  without pulling the ceilng down..which is better than trying to paint round them etc..  Why do the makers think those lights need springs strong enough for Man Traps?  They need to stay up is all..  Overall though.. Thursday went well.

So did yesterday.. three coats around the window, quite a bit of masking, with Frog Tape, ..because I'm worth it.. but straightforward....

So.. today.  On the face of it the easiest bit. Plain walls either side of a corner.  Just a small radiator in he way....

I knew I was running out of white emulsion.. so down to the famous 'Eric Slinn's.. for more.  Always a gag at quizzes in these parts.  " Who painted the Mona Lisa?  Chorus of " Eric Slinn!!!!"

While there, I showed the 'Sales Executive', a photo of the rather nice blue crystals in the 'Blue Pearl ' granite worktops wot we got with the new kitchen.'''..

"I'm thinking of maybe a blue-ish paint of the correct 'tone' to 'pick up' on this?"  Quoth I...

" Yep.. that's blue that is.." quoth he..................

I can't find a Tumbleweed Emoticon....................

.....................So... back home and getting ready.  Move the fridge freezer and notice that the plasterer who did a fab job everywhere else.. left this a bit rough.  Even big holes around the socket for the fridge. .. OK , get the filler out..  Same round a door frame etc.  So, get the 'Decorator's Caulk' out and that's another hour gone.

All ready to paint.  Radiator Roller.. 'Check', Cutting in Brush, 'Check', main roller.. 'Check'.  Open paint tin  'Ouch'.  Managed to slip with the tin opening scraper and stabbed myself in the thumb.  Blood everywhere. So.. Elastoplast and a bit of choice language..

Right.. last of the old paint...  'There's a good litre in there.. might even finish without opening the new..... Ohh Sh***  It's full of bits..' 

Right.  clean all the tools off, and the paint tray, and start again with the new stuff.....

But.. It's not been thinned at all,.  So I guess at a bit of thinning for the small amount needed for the bit of wall I'm doing and get it wrong.  Way too thick, but by now I'm past caring.  I force the paint onto the wall.. " You WILL stick and you WILL cover!!!  I have spoken!!!!

Daughter and Grandkids turn up.. always welcome.. but I'm up to my eyes in paint, filler, dust, etc.. blah blah..

The 'too thick' paint takes 'too long' to dry.. but I'm patient.. ( Or is it just defeated and resigned...'?)

I decide to thin the paint in the tin.  Add as much water as I can get in, then stir.. for about 45 minutes.. until all of the water is thoroughly mixed in.... 

But.. not until I have spent 20 minutes in the garage finding a bit of wood for stirring and ended up cutting a bit specially.. from an old floorboard..  using a hammer and a bolster chisel because I can't be a**** reaching for a saw.. and anyway.. I'd need to get my sawbench out and... Oh! Sod it!!  And I hit my other thumb...

...and got a splinter...

It occurs to me that the day seems to be developing a pattern.............

Have to let the Grandkids and Co. go without going out to their car and playing the usual 'hide and seek', because I am ready for the last assault on this ridiculously 'Everest like' bit of D.I.Y.

Finally.. final coat on....

Close paint tin.  Wash all tools..

No.. there's no punch line.. What do you think I am?.. Superhuman?

• Upvote 1

P.S. Going to the 'North West Audio Show' tomorrow, at Cranage Hall. not too far from Holmes Chapel.  In Cheshire.. don'tcha know.. 

A regular 'Geekfest'.

:)

Col, wouldn't it be easier to employ a general handyman/Jack of all trades instead of doing it yourself?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's not often I put personal stuff on here so here goes, a few years ago I found a woman daft enough who would marry me , some of you have met Margaret at some of the meet ups and yesterday was the day we tied the knot. We were married at Arnold Hill park (registry office) and had a brilliant reception at Papplewick Village hall. The day went very well and I would like to thank all of those that sent me personal messages of congratulations.

Dennis.

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1

Congrats Den. Well done !

• Upvote 1

Congratulations Denshaw all the best for a long and happy life together

• Upvote 1