• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

If the bottom’s fallen out the dealers don’t seem to have reacted. We’re not looking for furniture, we have more than enough! It’s just the interesting and quirky we’re looking for. There’s a lot unattractive paintings and prints out there but we did see a Beryl Cook original oil called ‘Bingo’ for a mere £22,500.

Phil for some time I have thought that Hemswell is where the dealers at Horncastle send all that they are unable to sell. Not that I think Horncastle has much these days. There is less of interest or of quality around!!

There’s lots of house clearance rubbish in Horncastle. The Old Co Op being being a prime example. We have bought some decent pieces from Seaview Antiques and we sometimes call at Junktion Antiques at New Bolingbroke. His stuff is interesting but grossly overpriced and we only call in to view! We have a neighbour who owns Hall Fine Art in Southwell so I do get a bit of insider information, especially as he does a few days a week as a valuation consultant for Charles Hanson of TV fame.

37 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

You should post some of the questions about Notts. Beekay to see if us ode uns can remember ote.

I'll do that Ian, as soon as I can sort it out.

Winner gets a week at Brighton.

Loser gets 3 weeks at Brighton.

• Like 2

I spent today further dismantling my record player for a thorough clean and rebuild, with new suspension components and an oil change for the bearing. I also spoke to the ever helpful Steve Rowlands at Michell Audio yesterday. He's going to supply a couple more replacement components so I can keep my player on 'full song'.

I also took the wall mounted record player support shelf off the wall and patched up the resulting screw holes. I've decided to just go with the record player on top of the posh new 'free standing' rack.

Just waiting now for some 'custom' components for the new rack from Atacama Audio...

These things matter......;)

In other news.. the unfortunate effects of changes to my Meds seem to be fading... which is nice..

The crap weather and the forecast of no improvement until the end of time, has got me seriously considering tackling the long overdue redecoration of the stairs, landing and ground floor.  May just as well be miserable indoors as out.. :laugh:

12 hours ago, Beekay said:

I'll do that Ian, as soon as I can sort it out.

Winner gets a week at Brighton.

Loser gets 3 weeks at Brighton.

I would not bother B as when I did the Christmas  Quiz in 2022 only you came back with any answers.

Last night we had LALA LANZE night in the village. I mentioned earlier that they close the road and have musical nights all July. The group were playing right opposite my sons restaurant so we went up about 9pm and the music started at 10 pm. We had a drink and I had a non alcoholic G&T which I didn’t know existed but my son has everything new . G&T is popular here and he has a very large bottle of OMM gin which he keeps empty on the outside bar.

The other evening we had a family reunion and went for a pizza at a castle. There were 25 of us ( many missing) My husbands brother lives in France and his daughter came to visit. Her and her husband are missionaries and live in Scotland so there was quite a mix of languages. It’s been a coolish yesterday but this morning it’s getting hotter and it’s only 9am. My grandsons are coming to spend the day in the pool so it’s going to be a noisy day. 

• Like 3

Looks like a dreadful place to live Nonna.. 

;)

How do you cope?

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

I would not bother B as when I did the Christmas  Quiz in 2022 only you came back with any answers.

Perhaps you're right Noddy. Last night's quiz was exhausting and nobody answered the Nottingham questions. A load of Philistines they are. Don't know owt abaht nowt.

1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

Last night we had LALA LANZE night in the village. I mentioned earlier that they close the road and have musical nights all July. The group were playing right opposite my sons restaurant so we went up about 9pm and the music started at 10 pm. We had a drink and I had a non alcoholic G&T which I didn’t know existed but my son has everything new . G&T is popular here and he has a very large bottle of OMM gin which he keeps empty on the outside bar.

The other evening we had a family reunion and went for a pizza at a castle. There were 25 of us ( many missing) My husbands brother lives in France and his daughter came to visit. Her and her husband are missionaries and live in Scotland so there was quite a mix of languages. It’s been a coolish yesterday but this morning it’s getting hotter and it’s only 9am. My grandsons are coming to spend the day in the pool so it’s going to be a noisy day. 

Scotland needs missionaries!

6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Looks like a dreadful place to live Nonna.. 

;)

How do you cope?

DJ, I sometimes wonder. But I don’t think I’d like to go back to Uk. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

:laughing:Been thinking why Castagnole delle Lanze is a dreadful place to live. First we live in a hamlet in the midst of vineyards, it’s very quiet, neighbours who are farmers offload excess fruit n veg to us. There are too many festivities during the year. The local community celebrate the birthdays of the younger citizens as well as the older generation providing them with certificates and rosettes etc . These are held every 10 yrs from 18 years of age so quite a few times a year we hear how the younger are growing and how many older ones are left! A small buffet is provided for them. There is an adopt a row or two of vines for which the adoptees are invited to every pruning etc . The end product is bottles of wine personalized with names of vineyard and adoptee. We have far too many bars where people meet every morning to have their breakfasts and a chat where invariably you can meet up with someone you know or even who you don’t want to know. The school children have many outside activities and they are so noisy. Every body who goes to a bar and there’s no where to park they just leave their car either double parked or at an angle so you can’t pass. There’s always men sitting outside bars smoking, chatting or arguing or even discussing food and who’s wife can cook better, they always think they can put the world to rights. Local shops and the local market will trust you to take items home to make sure they fit or are alright for what you need, even if you haven’t got enough money with you as sometimes happens.

And many more reasons that I think are dreadful but after 53 yrs of backwards and forwards between here and UK I think I know where I prefer.

• Like 3

As I'm approaching my 80th in a couple of months, I think I might pop over Nonna, so they can celebrate my birthday.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Our son and family have been holidaying at Lake Como this last week. I’m waiting to hear how they survived in the heat. They live just half an hour away from Blackpool. I suggested they went there every day and slept at home at night. They could have found an Italian chip shop to get an authentic taste of Italy and saved their money!

7 minutes ago, Beekay said:

As I'm approaching my 80th in a couple of months, I think I might pop over Nonna, so they can celebrate my birthday.:rolleyes:

I’ve been to Italy many times but for business not pleasure. However the Italians always managed to mix business with pleasure so I always enjoyed going there. There was one chap who used to take us out in the evening whose father was the mayor of Florence and he knew absolutely everybody and all of his cousins seemed to own a restaurant!

• Upvote 1

That’s the problem Phil everybody knows everybody. Practically everyone here knows me by name but who they are I have to ask Alex. He replies “ you do know them you’ve forgotten”  They all know me but I can’t remember everyone can I?

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Our son and family have been holidaying at Lake Como this last week. I’m waiting to hear how they survived in the heat.

Weather in Como isn’t too hot 32-33 c . Hope they enjoyed it.

On 7/13/2023 at 3:02 PM, DJ360 said:

Hi Margie,

Yep..she's got a full plaster and sling.

Ermmm.. It seems Gracie isn't  quite out of the woods yet....

She has to go into hospital in the morning for surgery on her arm to insert some wires or somesuch.

Poor lamb. She's very brave but.. .

She should end up with a cast for 4 weeks and then 'no contact sports, cycling or trampolining' , but swimming is OK, which is cool, because that's her other talent.:)

All done and apparently all went well. Bless her.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1