How's your day?

When I used to take mum to the eye hospital, the drops they administered were in tiny little sachets. Not bottles. They were orange and when she came out, she looked as though she'd been crying orange tears. They didn't sting, though.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

These drops are called "Maxitrol" eye drops, I think just to keep away any infection.

Margie, It's been a long time since Mrs P's pupils have dilated when she looks at me slywink

Rog

• Upvote 2

The drops I put in Tinas eye was the same Rog., 4 times a day for a month. Can't temember the name but it was a milky colour. Used to put one drop on the lower lid, 9 am 1 pm, 5 pm last at 9 pm.

They gave me another little bottle that was in case of 'dry eye', but she never needed that.

When i go for diabetic retinopathy, the drops put in dilate my eyes for about 4/5 hours, so I can't drive. But the light is blinding though.

• Like 1

@plantfit you are such a good husband with all you do in the house - cooking and cleaning etc, I’m very surprised if your wife’s pupils aren’t permanently dilated !!!

Having a thoughtful husband like you would certainly be the way to many a woman’s heart……

I’m pleased that she decided to have the cataract op - when the eye drops are completed, I hope she’ll be delighted at the difference it’s made.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Margie, thanks for the nice post, I don't know whether she will agree with you when her sight is better though because she will be able to see how many bicycles I have accumulated and how many extra model buses have appeared not to mention stationary engines, telly. dvd player and video recorder in the shed, plus old clocks only time will tell

slywink

Rog

• Upvote 1

I just keep telling myself that our sheds and garage aren’t anything to do with me!  I never go in there.  What finds it’s way into the house is a different matter, though…

• Like 1
14 hours ago, MargieH said:

I have eye drops put in my eyes every time I go the hospital eye clinic - every 1 - 2 months.  The drops are atropine to dilate my pupils and they do sting unless you ask for some numbing drops first!   Some of the nurses do put the numbing drops in automatically but some don’t - a cost cutting exercise perhaps?

I always come out of the clinic looking like  a ‘little  black-eyed Susie’. It is supposed to look attractive having dilated pupils (I’ve read) as when a person  looks at someone they fancy, their pupils naturally dilate !!!!  Don’t know if that’s true :) 

….. or perhaps people think I’m on non -prescription drugs !

In my experience, you look lovely with or without drops Margie.. :rolleyes:

Your post has reminded me of episodes from my youth, while still in primary school.

I had what seemed like years of appointments at what I recall as 'the eye clinic'. Somewhere up by the Ropewalk? Long time ago...  After a while, went on my own, by bus. I recall that Mum used to give me enough cash for my bus fare, plus a bit for 'some sweets'. I'd often polish off a pack of Opal Fruits on the bus home.

I'd arrive and usually have drops put into my eyes then be ordered to sit with my eyes shut for 20 minutes. For a youngster, sitting there in an austere, cold bare room for 20 minutes seemed like an age. Then I would be subjected to various 'tests' and then sent on my way.. still suffering very blurred vision. I'd usually have to go back to school for what was left of the day and I couldn't see the board... I would try to explain to teachers but not all seemed interested. I was rather more 'backward at coming forward' in those days...

On a few occasions I was made to sit looking into a machine, through sort of 'binocular' eyepieces, and then move knobs to bring two cartoon images into one.  or summat like that...

As I recall my 'problem', was a severe 'squint'. Not just looking through part closed eyes, but the more medical definition of one eye pointing the wrong way.  There was some discussion of me having an operation to 'adjust' the muscles which control the movement of the eyeball. However, in the end, they decided that I had other issues requiring glasses, such as being very long sighted (I'm now at +6 'sphere') and started wearing specs, which I've done ever since .

These days I get called into the Eye Clinic at St Helens Hospital every few months to check that my 'Pigment Dispersion Syndrome' isn't leading to other issues... like Glaucoma.  So far so good... I went for a 'field test' last week.

The drops Mrs Col was issued after her recent 'Blepharotomy', to raise her droopy eyelids.. were just 'Yer average' Chloramphenicol. She wouldn't let me put the 'greasy version' in and our neighbour, an ex Eye Hospital nurse, came round and did that. ( and she's also just had a cataract op). Later it was the little individual doses of the liquid Chloramphenicol, which Mrs Col let me put it.  She seems fully recovered now, but had a rough few weeks.

I'm well overdue for a test at the Opticians, and a new prescription.  I've been putting it off because I always have issues adapting to the inevitable new frames and I also end up paying £hundreds for the lenses, to keep the lenses reasonably thin, plus the 'transitions' lenses etc. However, yesterday, one arm fell off my 'best' specs. I've done a bodge with superglue, but I think it's time to 'bite the bullet' and visit an opticians... :(

• Upvote 1

I still go to the optician every year, but they always tell me there are no lenses they can prescribe which will improve my eyesight :(   I occasionally get new frames with the existing prescription just for a change or, like in your case Col, one of the arms drops off or a lens drops out!  I only buy the cheapo glasses ……

• Like 1

Thing is Margie, I wear my specs from getting up, to going to sleep, so they have to be comfortable. My eyesight is appalling without my specs, but very good with them.  On that point, you have my sympathy.. it must be very unpleasant knowing your sight is limited, or worsening.  My daughter is in that position and hasn't let it stop her doing much, but then she is still relatively young at 43.

I don't go daft on 'designer' frames, but like something reasonable. I don't like heavy frames for e.g. But most of the cost comes from my prescription.  I get the 'special glass', which I think has a higher refractive index and can be thinner than standard.  I also get 'varifocals', and I get them with the 'Reactolite', or 'Transitions' to make them also suitable for all light conditions.  Saves any need to swap specs for reading, or getting extra for sunny days.

Georgina (Georgy) made me a happy man this morning.......sorted the Pain ive been having last couple of weeks with my ''Ingowing Toe Nails''....Danced all the way down the corridor of the clinic on my way out...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just lately I seem to be having problems with my vision. It’s just 2 years since I had my glasses changed and like everyone else the lenses are so expensive. A while ago I had a check and update and since then I have to adjust my glasses because they don’t seem to be right. Bumped into my optician the other day and told her and she just said pop in with everything and we’ lol have another look. If my eyesight is ok there’ll be no charge. I have a pair of prescription sun glasses but when I fell they scratched and I’ve not worn them since. I also had new frames a few years ago and after a week decided I didn’t like them because my daughter said it looked like I had strong black eyebrows. Will take all these glasses and prescription and see what Paola says. It may be a case of new glasses and sunglasses. I have these clip on shades but hate them makes me think of old people and although I sometimes feel old I don’t want to look old.:rolleyes:

Up bright and early, spot of breakfast and out with the strimmer cutting the grass down just the other side of my garden fence, then a bike ride down to the Bassingham doctors pharmacy to pickup this months repeat prescription (oh dear) home and a quick cuppa before getting the mower out and cutting the back garden grass, the birch tree near the back door needed pruning back so out with the ladder and clippers, I don't want it to grow high but more bush shaped so I keep trimming it back, looking pretty neat now, got some dinner ready for Mrs P then cut the dead heads off the dahlias in the little flower garden behind the greenhouse, eye drops put in Mrs P's eye then do a spot of dinner for myself, pots washed and put away time for a coffee before having a shower, cup of tea for Mrs P and another coffee for me then settled down for half an hour to watch Michael Portillo's American railroad journey, hope you've all had a great day and enjoyed whatever you've been doing

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

More like Harry Potter mate, need a magic wand to get through some of this, 

Today once again up bright and early, got Mrs P sorted out with the eye drops and packed her off to the gym, out with the paint tin and a coat of gloss white on the skirting boards around the little telly room (points in the bag) time to get a bike out of the shed and have a ride round for an our or so,

catch you all later

Rog

On 8/10/2023 at 9:27 PM, philmayfield said:

Why are you wearing that stupid baseball cap Roger?

I got a few to choose from Phil

P1050510.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

My day has been spent at QMC again, I have been feeling rough for 3 weeks ,not unusual, put it down to different blood pressure tablets, then underneath my tongue was swollen up. Put up with it until I finally saw a GP on Friday, I struggled to eat or drink, she sent me straight to QMC I was seen by a Consultant and given antibiotics. Saw a different one Sunday different antibiotics ,threatened to keep in me as I was dehydrated. I escaped and saw him again today for inspection and x-ray. It appears I have a large stone in my saliva duct which is infected. Keep taking antibiotics and see you again soon. How do they get rid of the stone? I love the NHS , I really mean that, the care I received was first class, sad to see so many ambulances outside a overcrowded A+E but the speed that they saw and treated me was unbelievable.

• Like 5

I keep trying to see the positive side things,  as I am not eating or drinking very much I asked the wife for a rebate on the house keeping. I am still trying to translate the reply , well she is from mucky uckna.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1