• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Which is why I only collect them from the supermarket!

Years ago there was a guy who came in our pub selling 'Bluebuttons' that he had harvested from the local fields, supposedly delicious but I never dared to try them.

Yep.  Blewitts, or Bluebuttons.  Wood Blewitt is Lepista Nuda, Field Blewitt is Lepista Saeva .  There's also Lepista 'Sordida', which is smaller and not as good, but is OK and safe to eat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitocybe_nuda

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepista_personata

Col

• Like 1

Today i would like to offer some advice...........when deciding to crush shells with a large hammer make sure they are not on top of a glass garden table. Even my mum was lost for words. In my defence it was a small table and shells were wrapped in a towel, not much of an excuse but its the only one i have.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

I had planned a circular walk in the back of beyond behind the coastal town of Golspie in Sutherland, for yesterday. The weather was reasonable so I left home early and set off on my trek at 0830hrs. The walk took me up Ben Bhraggie to the 153ft tall statue of the Duke of Sutherland at its summit and then on across the trackless moors to Ben Lunndaih.  From Ben Lunndaih the route went down a corrie, following a steep burn and out at the end of a loch.  There I was to pick up an old stalker's path and follow it back to a forest track that led me into the forest beneath Ben Bhraggie and back to the car.  The planned route was to be three and half to four hours long but things began to go wrong after leaving the summit of Ben Lunndaih. When you pay £9 for a new OS map you expect it to be reasonably well up to date but alas, since the map was revised there have been a few changes to the area. After leaving the summit of Ben Lunndaih I was to have walked briskly and easily down a corrie and burn to the loch 1,500ft below.  Alas, this was not to be; about half way down I came across an 9ft tall deer fence surrounding a new deciduous forest plantation.  The only way around looked to add a couple of miles on to my walk so I was forced to climb the fence.  Then followed a mixture of stumbling and sliding down through the new forest whose vegetation was so tall that it came up to my chest in places and I couldn't see where I was putting my feet. Anyway.....I found a forest gate at the foot of the hill and successfully climbed it without mishap, picking up my old stalker's track, as per plan.  The next problem came when I tried to find the path that short-cutted through from the stalker's path to a forest track which would lead me back into the forest beneath Ben Bhraggie.  The whole area was covered in thick gorse bushes and no path was evident. This caused me to follow the stalker's track further down towards the foot of the hill and pick up another track that went up alongside the forest.  The aim was to pick up my internal forest track at the top of this track - that was marked clearly n the map.  Anyway, I got right up to the top of this track only to find that no track led into the forest - again the area was awash with gorse and the only way through would have been by macheté!  I went back down the track and decided to follow some pylons which I knew crossed the internal forest track near where I wanted to be.  This was not too difficult as the area beneath the pylons was only covered with bracken, not gorse. This took me to where I needed to be and eventually I arrived back at the car......6hrs after leaving - taking some 2hrs longer than planned!  On the bright side - I discovered that I am still able to plan routes in the back of beyond and can feel safe in the knowledge that given an accurate map can find my way home. :crazy:

• Like 4
On 9/5/2018 at 3:18 PM, plantfit said:

Took a trip into Newark again this morning

Sounds like a great walk, Rog. I remember some of the paths around the Newark area from my days of exploring them back in the early 1980s.  There used to be a floating pub moored in Newarkk - is it still there?

• Like 1

Sounds like a challenging walk, Compo.   I know I certainly wouldn't  be able to do anything as difficult as that - don't think I could even have done it when I was a lot younger!   Well done.  Are you having a bit of a rest today?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Compo said:

Sounds like a great walk, Rog. I remember some of the paths around the Newark area from my days of exploring them back in the early 1980s.  There used to be a floating pub moored in Newarkk - is it still there?

Floating pub is still there Compo. Saw it afloat yesterday.

• Like 1

Margie: Had a bike ride this morning and this afternoon plan to go into Wick on the bus and have too much to drink at Wetherspoons.

thumbsup

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Leaving for Nottingham in an hour or so.  A weekend of Bingo and Booze no doubt, though I'm hoping for a bit of a wander in Bestwood Woods. ( That's what we always called them before they were 'Bestwood Country Park'.)  There ought to be a good few Cepes about.

• Like 4

We used to take 2 of our previous cats with us when we went touring in the caravan.  They loved just watching  through the windows everything that was happening on the campsites - children, dogs, birds and sometimes even ducks waddling about..... in the daytime they never asked to go outside (we had a litter tray inside!).

It was a different story when it was dusk or nighttime.... they looked for every opportunity to get  outside, so we had to be extra careful when going out of the door to the shower block etc.  At night their eyes changed from calm and dreamy (daytime) to wild and glittery.  One night, one of them got out in a campsite at Abergavenny and we had to go round with a torch looking for her and calling her name.  We found her several yards away under someone's caravan.  I think she was actually quite  frightened and was pleased to be found.     They're not really as easy as dogs to take away on holiday - we only did it a couple of times.

• Like 4

One of my sons just been to visit me here in Derby Royal,,always a laugh when hes around,,managed to drink my Morphine,,before bidding me "see ya later Dad""lol,

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

One of my sons just been to visit me here in Derby Royal,,always a laugh when hes around,,managed to drink my Morphine,,before bidding me "see ya later Dad""lol,

I hope he's not driving!

He is,,but back home now,,he poured some water into a small glass,,not realising the remains were still in it,,

That's so funny ben , I remember visiting my Daughter in hospital when a nurse came to show 

the lady in the next bed the gallstones she had had removed. I was shocked when she picked a 

glass of water up and swallowed the stones. It was a long time before we all stopped laughing.

• Like 4

They must have been very small stones, Sue.  When I had my gall bladder out, there was just one stone but it was as big as a large walnut!!  

• Like 1

Feeling a bit sorry for myself. My back has started playing up again. Was doing well after 3 sessions with osteopath but made a sudden turn and now back to square one. Will see how it goes Monday.

• Upvote 2

A brilliant day today. Watched the cycling at Oxton, had a lovely curry, and watched this years Strictly introductory programme, followed by the Last Night of the Proms. Superb entertainment !

Thought at first Derby hospital,what am i doing? Its worked in so many ways,harder for family to visit,,so when i tell em its too far dont put yasen thru it,,they dont feel guilty about everyday visits,,we all go on about how good NHS and its staff are,,no less true in Derby with its added ey ups,,but best of all has been the company on the ward,,indian chap from leicester,,two chaps from long eaton,,and mesen,,great friendships have been built from much banter,,daft init will miss em when i finally get the.zzzz,out of here. Lol

• Like 10