How's your day?

Visited Mrs PP twice today at the hospital. The hospital charity provided an excellent dinner and two nice presents. hopefully she will be home tomorrow then we can open our prezzies together. It is suspected that her infection was caused by damage done during a routine endoscopy carried out last Thursday. All very sudden and at the worst time of the year. We should have spent Christmas in N Somerset and then gone on to London on Friday to see the ballet at the Royal Albert Hall. Looks like we will be cancelling that too :( If she is home tomorrow all the family will be dropping by :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Good job you weren't in Brittany then PP. Hopefully things will be ok tomorrow.

All quiet Mum and Aunty have gone to bed very tired, gin can do that to you.  After lunch I found the channel that has the  old movies so t hey were happy, we had a quiet day spoke to my son when he called his wife nice end to Christmas Day.

PP  ..... pleased to hear your wife is improving, hopefully you can start your Christmas tomorrow.

• Like 1

I drove from Basford to Toton today, and just couldn't believe the amount of shops open on Arnold Rd, and up through Broxtowe and Strelley. Unbelievably they all looked to be doing good business. What is the world coming to ?

Pleased to hear the good news, PP.

Visiting my friend in hospital yesterday, the staff were pulling out all the stops to make things festive, despite being very busy. I helped out a bit by feeding a couple of people their lunch. Even crackers and presents had been provided! No one wants to spend Christmas in hospital but it wasn't too bad.

• Like 2

Oh dear, a very poor nights sleep as I couldn't stop coughing and spluttering, as my sniffles have turned into a full blown cold. 

My throat feels like it has had a stiff lavatory brush thrust down it, so I must have a well done bacon sandwich with HP sauce in a vain attempt to relieve the rasping pain. On the plus side though, it might get me out of visiting the outlaws later this evening.

We've only got 6 inches of oil left in the tank outside and the delivery isn't until Friday so we're having to economise on heating the radiators and the water.  We don't have gas in the village... Fortunately we have an electric shower so that is good, until you have to get dry in a cold bathroom!  I feel it's like an old fashioned Christmas without central heating - sitting in the chairs covering ourselves with blankets.   We are using an old noisy electric fan heater in the living room but it's not as good as radiators!   We find the oil heating is generally very good (when we order a delivery early enough.  We got it wrong this time!). 

Ever thought of propane Margie?  We have a 500 gallon tank, our heating's a woodstove though, safer to have wood heating and propane in our climate, we are prone to power outages in very adverse weather, some can be long, depending on how much the infrastructure is damaged.

1 hour ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Ever thought of propane Margie?  We have a 500 gallon tank, our heating's a woodstove though, safer to have wood heating and propane in our climate, we are prone to power outages in very adverse weather, some can be long, depending on how much the infrastructure is damaged.

We have never considered propane because the oil is very  reliable and efficient... it's just that with all the run up to Christmas and the fact that we've had the radiators on quite a bit in the cold weather, the oil ran down more quickly than usual and we forgot to order early enough!

It's a bit warmer today - 5 degrees - so we're OK.  

The last week has been pretty horrendous, with a dear friend in hospital, seriously ill, and all manner of other things going wrong.

Last Sunday, I removed my friend's 2 cats from the house and took them to stay with my friends who run cat rescue locally. 

Within 36 hours, Humphrey, the 12 year old tabby, managed to dig his way out of the pen and escape. No sign of him has been in evidence for a week.

Today, although I wasn't planning to, something made me drive over to check my friend's house. As I walked up the drive, I was amazed and more delighted than words can say to see Humphrey sitting by the door, miaawing for food!

He's a bit thin but otherwise unharmed. Apart from a day at the vet when he was neutered, he has never left the village where he was born. I'd love to know how he did it.

Humphrey is now safely back at cat rescue, bribed into the cage by a tin of sardines in tomato sauce! If you had offered me the crown jewels, I could not have had a better Christmas present than finding Humphrey!

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

Going back to my yesterday's post about the chap from Nottingham I met in St.Just , I remembered he said he had written a couple of books that had a Nottingham connection. 

This is the guy :

http://colinbacon.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/vivian-and-i.html?m=1

One book was a bio of actor Vivian Mackerrell who was supposed to be the inspiration of the film Withnail and I .

More recent photo at the bottom of his page .

• Like 1

Earlier today, returning from the hospital, I exited the A38 at McArthur Glen.

It's Boxing Day and I thought, at first, there had been an accident as traffic was backed up approaching the island.

As I inched closer, I saw that the gridlock was being caused by cars trying to get into McArthur Glen car park, which was full. Vehicles were abandoned on the pavement, on the island itself and on the road. Yet still they swarmed in droves, blocking the way for those who wanted to turn right, as opposed to left into the retail park!

I know I have a dim view of the human race but the sheer stupidity of those motorists left me speechless. Bl99dy lemmings are equipped with more sense! :angry:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

It’s ridiculous, I agree with you Jill.  The big stores have had a Sale going for weeks already and McArthur Glen sells stuff that nobody wants to buy in the city centre stores anyway.   We went nowhere near the shops today, but we did walk on the beach and that was busy enough!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sales in some stores are on 12 months of the blooming year.

Re McArthur Glen . Been a couple of times unfortunately, and had fish & chips the first time, and an ice cream the second. Not very impressed. Give me H of F or John Lewis any day of the week !

• Upvote 1