How's your day?

Chulla.   Re. land space.  Each house in this estate is on approx' one acre.  I was told that one of the main reasons for that is that we are not on a city type sewer system.  Each house has a septic tank which drains into quite a large field area.  So to avoid draining into your neighbor's property each field is centered on each property.  The grass and veggies grow better there.  ;)  Land is also a lot cheaper here than the UK.  There is just more of it.  I love it after growing up in a two up two down with a bog in the back yard.

• Like 5
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Well Mi Dears, I was just sat  sittin' on the sofa, sowing, like a good Nottingham gel should be on a rainy day. You know the kind of sewing I mean, taking up, in , securing buttons etc, on the pile of 'Christmas present' clothes bought for us.

Just waiting for the weather to keep me in to get it done! Being a bit short in the arms and legs department, most gifts to me have to be altered somewhat.:rolleyes: Any way, I just looked up for a moment and look at the bloomin' weather Miducks, snot rainin' anymore, it's flippin' SNOWING. Aaaagh. Oh well, going out at 2pm with son, daughter and partners, Dinner or Lunch? (depends how posh you are) Dinner for us lot.:)  at the Newbridge Carvery.

DSCN0421.jpg  

• Like 2

Is that the outside lav at the bottom of your garden, carni? Wrap a rug 'round you when you go.

• Like 1

Yep, complete with newspaper on a bit of string and a cangle (Only one, not four cangles). No rug for us Chulla. We are posher than that, we have  got an 'Army Overcoat' to keep us warm.  Can you see me stilts leaning against the wall on tuther side! :biggrin:

• Like 2

Aaaaaargh!  Sick as a dog.  I've got the gallopin' crud.  It's not the 'flu.  I had that back in 68 and I wished I was dead.  This is just a rough throat, head cold and a raucous bark.  I'm having a barking completion with the lads.  I am winning.  :rolleyes:

Glad I can come on here for a bit.  Y'all make me feel a bit better with your posts and at least I can't spread it to you.  Preacher had it last week and I filled in for him.  Don't think I will be there this week.  No point spreading this to others.  Mrs. L is barking worse than me.  She went to the quack.  Came home with some pills.  I'm keeping away from 'em as usual.  I 'd rather see a vet! :sickly:

For those that like limericks  I thought of one based on that old song.  'Sixteen tons.'

Ya see sixteen quacks and what do ya Get?

A little bit sicker, and deeper in debt.

St Peter don't ya call me cos I can't go.

I owe my soul to the insurance Co.

Had a wander with Mrs C down the Republic this morning, latte in the Sally Army cafe followed by a bit of shopping then into 'Spoons for a couple of pints ! Feeling on top of the world these days !!

• Like 4

Hope you feel better soon LL.

The trouble with this virus is that you think you are on the mend and then it creeps up and knocks you for six again.

Here,s a good one to play LL. Chanson Tryst. I bet you will know how to play it . Just thought  'Can it be played on an organ' ? Get your hanky ready.:)

Thanks, Carni.   I don't know Chanson Tryst, but I'll look it up.    One of my favorites is Bach's "Come Sweet Death"   Sounds terrible I know,  but it is actually a very encouraging piece of music, not to mention beautiful.  I can actually play that too.  :rolleyes:  Making a big fuss of the dogs helps too and they like it.

Edited to add.  Found it on YT. Spelling threw me.  It is Chanson Triste.  By Tchaikovsky.  Nice.  No arrangement for Organ though.  Could probably get by on two manuals without pedals.  Harder than it sounds though.

3 hours ago, loppylugs said:

I think I'll just go and play some funereal music on the organ.  Makes me feel better. :biggrin:

Couple more Loppy, re-written for organ. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtCqbImhpA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tUqBOdn4JIM

They sound soothing just to listen. Even better if played. 

Get well soon.

• Like 1

Looking out of my window again, I see it is still chuckin' it daahn wiy,  waaait for it.............SNOW! YUK. Been awake nearly all night so I have no enthusiasm to gerrout of mi pit. That was, until I started surfin and Googleing. Can't wait to finish posting my findings now .

Thinking about what I can have for my brekky,  got all manner of delicousness awaiting me in the kitchen, take a look at what these poor b.....rs were having all those years ago. If I was there in those awful days today my menu would be.

Breakfast ...Milk Pottage

Dinner....Broth, Beef and Potatoes

Supper....Bread and Beer.

Dunt sound too bad!!!  Bet a few of my ancestors sampled that lot. 

I think I will count my blessings, time to move it. I quite fancy Bacon and Creamed Mushrooms. Not quite Blueis but I can use my imagination. :biggrin:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NTT/Nottingham/nottingham_PLU

• Like 3
1 hour ago, carni said:

Looking out of my window again, I see it is still chuckin' it daahn wiy, 

Looks like you have got to put your overcoat on and your wellies. And don't forget the jerry needs emptying.

We've got just a few flakes of snow at the moment, but we're off to church anyway .... it's the Sunday Club's New Year party..... games, crackers, food and about 10 children - what's not to like!  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

We've got just a few flakes of snow at the moment, but we're off to church anyway .... it's the Sunday Club's New Year party..... games, crackers, food and about 10 children - what's not to like!  

What's not to like?

Going out on a cold morning

Church

Parties 

Games

Crackers

Children

I'll leave food off the list - but that still depends on the chef!

• Like 1

I think we must have been low class, Chulla.  We never called it the 'Jerry'.  It was the Po. Or the guzunder.

Used to hate it when I worked for the EMEB and we would find one under the bed when we had to take a floorboard up in a bedroom to pull wire.  We used to move 'em VERY carefully.

Aaah! the lovely memories NS brings back.  I'd laugh if I could do it without coughing me 'ead off. :biggrin:

We had an inside WC when I was little but I still had a po under my bed.  I thought that was normal.... but thinking about it now, it seems strange.

• Like 1

Ours was outside but was part of the main house and next to the coal house. There was no electric though so we had to take a torch and there was a paraffin heater to stop it freezing up in the winter. When we moved to just off Thackeray’s Lane we had the luxury of indoor and outdoor toilets. When my father sold our first house  (it was originally rented but he bought it cheaply as a sitting tennant) the purchaser came round with the cash in pound notes in a carrier bag!

We now live in a house with three.  Commodes, I mean.  I don't say that to brag in some way.  It is quite common in lots of houses now.  You are never far from one.  Never need to bang on a door yelling 'Urry up'  Lol.  Wish I could teach the dogs to use one.  It would save me letting them in and out.  Days of the Po are ancient history.  ;)

C’mon, let’s start bragging - we’ve got four - any advance?smile2

I must explain that the house was altered substantially to include a granny flat with extra bedrooms over. We moved into the main house and my mother lived in the flat. Since her demise it’s all one dwelling which is much too big for the two of us but I can’t persuade my wife to move. We’ve even got two kitchens! Not bragging - we’re just victims of circumstances. You should see the heating bill!

• Like 1