• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

You are right.  Back to how's your day?  Mine is still not great.  Fighting the Crud.  Feel like I've been thumped by a two by four.  Headache, cough, tight chest etc.. I'm about ready to go and lay down for a bit.

47 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I must explain that the house was altered substantially to include a granny flat with extra bedrooms over. We moved into the main house and my mother lived in the flat. Since her demise it’s all one dwelling which is much too big for the two of us but I can’t persuade my wife to move. We’ve even got two kitchens! Not bragging - we’re just victims of circumstances. You should see the heating bill!

We had the same problem, Phil, when my parents moved to live with us in 1981.  We built a 'granny annexe' for them but after they died we were left with 2 kitchens as well as several other rooms we didn't need.  We solved the problem for a while by having lodgers in the annexe.  They couldn't be referred to as tenants as the accommodation was still part. of our  house.  But after a while we thought "Why are the 2 of us still rattling about in this big old house?"  So we moved to a bungalow which probably has a whole floor area the size of your living room!  But it's great - we love it..

Phil, I was impressed for a minute, thought you were typing on here and having a wee at the same time! I had to finish the sentence to see you were not! 

• Like 1
On January 20, 2018 at 0:15 PM, Willow wilson said:

Couple more Loppy, re-written for organ. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtCqbImhpA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tUqBOdn4JIM

They sound soothing just to listen. Even better if played. 

Get well soon.

Very nice WW.  I just got around to listening to these two renditions.  Never really listened to much Chopin.

11 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Feel like I've been thumped by a two by four.  Headache, cough, tight chest etc.. I'm about ready to go and lay down for a bit.

Sorry you're feeling a bit under the weather, Loppy. Go and curl up with Jake and Bailey. They'll make you feel better! You could always have a couple of Bob Martin's conditioning pills. Make your coat shine! ;)

• Like 1

Makes me wonder if having all these toilets in the house, some even sleep in the same room as the toilet via en-suit (we had the in the 70s bucket in the bedroom) is make you all ill? There was a reason the toilet was at the bottom of the yard away from the house & you want to bring them inside? Our one toilet the door is kept shut & the window is always wide open any weather, we don't get colds ever? 

I don't think too many people had ensuites back in the days of the 1918 'flu pandemic.  We could argue that a shared privvy out in the yard might be a site where germs could spread.  I've lived in places with inside bogs for many years now.  I am rarely sick.  Seems more likely that large gatherings of folks in shopping centres and confined spaces like planes could be a big factor in the spread of disease.

Loppy, I don't think your 'gang' related post offended anyone as much as you might think, because we all know you would never set out to deliberately do so.  Don't worry about it.

So. My day...

It started off really 'upbeat' because I had decided on the Mexico trip next year.  I know it probably sounds a bit selfish of me, but there is a genuine 'back story' to it. Anyway.. it had broken a sort of mental log jam and got me into looking forward in all sorts of ways.  I'll have to save a bit (more) , I'll have to get back into my former exercise/diet regime.. because I couldn't possibly let the population of the Yucatan and the tourists see me at anything less than my magnificent, svelte best...  :rotfl:  etc.

Also.. went round to a mate's for half an hour and on the way back some numpty rammed into the back of my lovely and quite rare Honda Civic 2L 'S'.  To be fair it could happen to anyone, but I'm just praying they don't write it off, because whatever cash I get will not buy me a similar car 13 years old all leather interior with only 60k on the clock.  I was planning on keeping that until I chucked my license in...:(

So.. I got home and called the insurance and then heard a text 'ping' in.  When I looked.. a former colleague and friend has passed away suddenly today after a massive heart attack.. well under 60 as I recall.  I have no words for that.

And I'm going to a funeral tomorrow.

But, as I'm typing this, the Carol King 2016 Hyde Park Concert is on the telly.  Beautiful and inspirational songs from her epic 'Tapestry' album. She was 74!!  Writing hit songs since  forever.. the list is endless.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carole_King

Music always makes things better..

Col

• Like 3

Thanks Col.  I'm not always politically correct.  Just that there are enough problems in this old world so no point setting out to hurt somebody's feelings or offend them.  I make it a point to try not to do that.

• Like 3
On 21/01/2018 at 1:33 PM, AfferGorritt said:

And I wonder why they called it a jerry?

Here you go Affer: From Wiki and incidentally the reason that I ahd always thought it to be too: "... The name Jerry was probably derived from the stahlhelm introduced in 1916, which was said by British soldiers to resemble a chamber pot or Jeroboam...."

• Like 1

LL: As a prize kn*bhead I am also not too PC, although like yourself I try not to cause offence.  In my honest opinion, I think that there is far too much political corrrectness these days and too many of us are afraid to say anything in case some poor soul, somehwere, is offended.  Some things are  indeed deeply offensive so there has to be a line of common sense beyond which we should not cross.  This line has to be in a sensible position though and not a blanket ban on saying anything that is even the slightest bit controversial.  Rememebr the daft notion muted in the 1980s that the term 'Black Ice' might be offensive to negros and that it should be termed 'Coloured Ice' instead? Of course it didn't catch on but these days the PC brigade rule and are apt to go into apopleptic fits at the drop of a hat. 

• Like 2

I awoke with a sore throat and tingling nose this morning, so it looks like my trip to the big city has indeed cured me of the "Well Virus" that has plagued me all winter :D  Am I on the slippery slope towards influenza, I wonder..... watch this space :crazy: