How's your day?

Might be worth trying the nasal spray that Vick's make.  I think it's called 'First Defence' and is supposed to stop the infection before it spreads from the lining of the nose.  I've used it in the past and it can help.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Has anybody heard about the idea of dribbling a bit of hydrogen peroxide in each ear.  Let it sit for a minute or so.  Supposed to stop a cold in its tracks.  I've tried it a time or two when my nose gets that start of a cold feeling and it seemed to work.  Only problem comes when it runs out of the other ear.  :biggrin:.

Re. PC.  I'm right with you.  As noted, I do not want to deliberately give offense.  That said, there are some things that I will not be silent about, just to avoid offending somebody who would try to silence me by using the  'I'm offended!' line. Some things are just plain wrong and need calling out.  As far as I'm concerned PC is a giant step towards the world of Orwell's 1984.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On a similar but related note.  I watched an old movie on the Telly last night. Didn't feel well enough to do anything else.  It was from 1962.  Terry Thomas and Eric Sykes in 'Kill or Cure'. It's on YT. Not a terrific plot or even a particularly good movie.  It was notable to me for it's lack of bad language and the usual bed hopping.  What it showed to me was how far we have sunk in most of today's films and plays in the name of free expression.

Several were on Freeview over Christmas. Terry Thomas, Ian Carmichael, Jeanette Scott, Alistair Sim et al. Proper entertainment !

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

Has anybody heard about the idea of dribbling a bit of hydrogen peroxide in each ear.  Let it sit for a minute or so.  Supposed to stop a cold in its tracks.  I've tried it a time or two when my nose gets that start of a cold feeling and it seemed to work.  Only problem comes when it runs out of the other ear.  :biggrin:.

Re. PC.  I'm right with you.  As noted, I do not want to deliberately give offense.  That said, there are some things that I will not be silent about, just to avoid offending somebody who would try to silence me by using the  'I'm offended!' line. Some things are just plain wrong and need calling out.  As far as I'm concerned PC is a giant step towards the world of Orwell's 1984.

If it runs out of the other ear it will be because it’s burnt its way through your head. Hydrogen peroxide can cause serious skin burns!

When I was a bottle blonde in the 60s (as in my avatar) The colourant I used was Hiltone and Hydrogen Peroxide. I'm surprised I  still have any hair left, because it had to be redone every two weeks. Roots were frowned on in those days!  Got my natural shade of blonde now........it's called grey!

LL, if you use it, at least you will have clean tabs, might turn the old  grey matter a nice shade of blonde, but definitely nice and clean. :biggrin:

• Like 2

Col, only just read your post about your friend's death - it must have been a shock especially as they weren't that old.  Also sorry to hear about your beloved car being bumped - not the same as a death, of course, but definitely upsetting.  Mexico sounds exciting - as you say "start saving up".   If it's a holiday that really appeals to you, then go for it..

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, plantfit said:

"OTEX Express" ear drops contain Hydrogen Peroxide

Rog

I was going to say that, but you beat me to it..

It depends on the strength of the solution as to whether it will burn skin.   When I've used Otex previously, it made a crackling sound in my ear as it broke up the wax!  

When I was a nurse at Harlow Wood, some of used to use a solution of hydrogen peroxide on part of our hair.  I used to do just the front of mine, but as I had very dark hair it used to just go a light gingery colour.  (So I was a waster of NHS money in those days....but I only used about a tablespoon of the stuff)

• Like 1

Re. Hydrogen Peroxide.  The only kind I have says on the label hp  3% for medicinal use, cleaning wounds etc.. I guess I should have made that clear.  I would never suggest using any chemical solution on the body unless it was clearly approved for such use.

Good outcome this a.m.  Just got back from the eye doctors with some new trifocal lenses.  Only a very slight difference in strength to my previous lenses.  In fact the doctor wondered if they would make much difference.  The Tv and the IPad now look much sharper. :).  Now if I could just stop barking like Jake I'd be ok.  :shout:  Just lost my excuse for playing wrong notes on the organ, though.

• Like 1

Yesterday was a bit busy.  Phone never stopped ringing with people sharing their feelngs over my former colleague's sudden death.  Then both daughters called a few times to make sure I was OK after the 'shunt'.  Then lots of calls regarding insurance on my car and also fitted in attendance at the funeral of a very good Liverpool friend who was something of a legend in Liverpool pubs. A true gent.  Then I shot over to my usual MOT garage in Newton le Willows, the owner of which also likes his Hondas.  His opinion is that my car just needs a new bumper painting and fitting.  The problem is that the 'book' price for my car is now only around £8-900, but there is no way I'd get such a well maintained, low mileage and quality car for that sort of money if I settled for a 'total loss.'   But then the typical 'insurance repairer' body shops load prices IMHO.  Just checked with a Honda dealer and they will fit a new bumper (painted) for about £370, so I'm definitely not scrapping my lovely Civic!

• Like 1

Going from my 1965 vintage GCE 'O' level French.. Chanson Triste = 'Sad Song'.

• Like 2

We've had a very busy morning running the Toddler Group at church - 2 helpers were ill so Paul and I have been run off our feet since we set it all up from 8.30am.  We got home at 1.15pm after clearing up.  Now we've got to make the 15 mile trip (up to an hour depending on traffic) to Addenbrookes hospital as I have an appointment at 4pm for a biopsy.  I won't say exactly where, but I might have trouble sitting comfortably for a while!  On the way home from the hospital, we're picking up our daughter from Cambridge to bring her here for a couple of days, then we have our church house group at our house this evening.  I'm feeling tired already ...

• Upvote 1
On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, carni said:

When I was a bottle blonde in the 60s (as in my avatar) The colourant I used was Hiltone and Hydrogen Peroxide. :biggrin:

The image below is of the fastest fighter aircraft in World War Two- 600 mph. It was powered by a rocket engine that used hydrogen peroxide mixed with water as its fuel. No doubt HP enabled you, carni, to make a fast getaway from lads whose chat-up line wasn't favourable. 

Me163.jpg

• Like 3

Margie, That's one busy day Miduck. Hope all goes well at the hospital. I was going to say when you get home, put your feet up but it looks like your busy tonight as well.  Enjoy yourselves with your Church group and your visiting daughter, and perhaps take it easy tomorrow?