• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Too true Loppy.

At the height of the lunacy, I was working in what I suppose was a Middle Management/Functional Lead role in the old (proper)Careers Service.  That was certainly a full time and demanding role, plus things like parent's evenings in the schools I looked after.  I was also the North West UNISON (Trade Union) rep to the UNISON National Careers Service Committee, involving frequent trips to London.  Also, local Union Rep.  Also, 2-4 nights per week doing Youth Work.   Also a member and Chair of the local Parish Council and a Labour Party member, with all that lot entailed.  Also my wife was studying in France so I was looking after a home and two daughters of 7 and 13.  I got quite used to ironing the girls school blouses at 1 or 2:00 a.m.

Piece of cake!!!  :wacko:

Dunno wot all these wimmin are moaning about..:blink:

Col

• Like 3

Heading down to good 'ole Nottm in a bit.  Another family gathering.  Only a flying visit though.

Col

Back to normality today for me. Her indoors returned from Spain last night, after an arduous journey.  Getting to where we live from anywhere always takes a day longer than in England.  A flight from Alicante to Glasgow airport, overnight stay in airport hotel, bus into Glasgow, bus to Inverness, bus to Wick and then I picked her up in Wick - makes for a long trip.  so.....I thought I'd make sure she had a nice dinner to come home to. 

Choice of menus as follows:

Menu 1. Leek & potato soup; Beef with peppers in paprika sauce and buttered noodles; stuffed baked (home grown) apples.

Menu 2. Bowl of boiled cabbage.

I guessed correctly and she chose menu 1. Comments: "The soup is quite nice" "There's too much dinner on my plate" "The apples aren't cooked very well" - can't win em all, I suppose :)

On the positive side however.....she brought back 2¾ltrs of nice red wine in boxes for me.  Here in Scotland the Scottish Nasty Party have managed to pass a law to charge a minimum of 50p per UK unit of alcohol, in order (they say) to reduce alcohol abuse (but mean bleed the poor).  So, a cheap near-undrinkable bottle of wine (From 18th May) will cost at least £5.50 per bottle but this wine, all 2¾ litres cost less than that in total - and it was not the cheapest by a long way!  I think I will visit Spain before we leave the EU and stock up!

• Upvote 1

Send us your empty Irn Bru bottles and we will return them filled with a wine of your choice. At cost plus postage of course. It’s about time the Scots were prevented from drinking. I was told by a chap in Oban “we only drink to get drunk laddie”.

I am recruiting my sister to buy my spirits in Northumberland.  After May 18th we will not be able to have special offers and the occasional offer of a £16 litre of Scotch will be a thing of the past.  I don't drink much shop bought stuff but I do object to being abused by the Scottish Government and charged extra for a drink because some people abuse it.  It is the social issues that need addressing NOT the symptoms of the failure to address them. Grrrr!

• Like 3

Speaking of duty free booze, when we recently flew into Auckland airport, there was a sign telling you how much drink allowance per person.  No more than 3 bottles of spirits (no bigger than 1.125litres each) and 6 bottles of wine. Here in the states, it is 1 bottle of alchohol.  We were amazed at their allowance.

Just send me the booze and I promise that I'll stay well clear of the south, Phil!

thumbsup

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Compo said:

I am recruiting my sister to buy my spirits in Northumberland.  After May 18th we will not be able to have special offers and the occasional offer of a £16 litre of Scotch will be a thing of the past.  I don't drink much shop bought stuff but I do object to being abused by the Scottish Government and charged extra for a drink because some people abuse it.  It is the social issues that need addressing NOT the symptoms of the failure to address them. Grrrr!

I'll lay odds when the left wing, tree hugging snowflakes hear about this no doubt this govt will follow suit !

• Like 1
4 hours ago, catfan said:

I'll lay odds when the left wing, tree hugging snowflakes hear about this no doubt this govt will follow suit !

I do believe it is under consideration by the current bunch of right wing, tree felling fruitloops.  ;)

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN05021

• Like 2

I can have a bit of a breather for a bit now, A neighbour came out of hospital on Saturday after breaking his leg in the snow,no one at home to look after him so I took it upon myself to do the job, been sitting with him for company, sorting out clean clothes for him to wear and cooking proper dinners and teas for him as well as keeping him topped up with coffee, he is a cantankerous old sod but I feel sorry for him, his wife died a couple of years ago and he's still living in the past,I think he got his wife to do everything for him so now he's on his own he's useless, but never mind, anyway he has a hospital appointment at the Northern General in Sheffield today ( thats where he originates from) sommat to do with his heart transplant he had many years ago, so someone who knows him who lives in Sheffield is taking him there today and might let him stay with them for a few days (hopefully) he has upset everyone in our close over time and no one has owt to do with him hence me volunteering, anyway now he's away for a bit I can get the trike out and have a bit of time for myself

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I’d seen references to Chulla’s robes before, but it only struck me today what they meant! He really is a dead ringer isn’t he. Doh! 

Stupid really because I saw the Dali Lama at close quarters some years ago. He did a couple of lectures at the  Nottingham Arena and a few days later planted a tree at County Hall where I was working at the time. A few of us went down to watch the ceremony. An inspiring yet “common” man.

Perversely I suppose we can thank the Chinese for the growth of Buddhism in the West. Their invasion of Tibet started the diaspora of the Tibetan Buddhist monks, who set up schools all over the world and wrote a large amount of the Buddhist literature available today. Our perception of Buddhism is therefore very Tibetan orientated, which is much more ritualistic than the old Theravada or “forest” Buddhism of South-East Asia.

I first came across Buddhism in the very early 60’s in a MAD! magazine! They were doing a parody of the Beat poets, and it prompted me to read a lot of Jack Kerouac’s autobiographical “novels” some of which described his experiences of Buddhism. I then began to search the Central Library, whose only book on Buddhism at that time was by a high court judge who resounded in the name Christmas Humphries!

I kept quiet about my beliefs in an era where Buddhism was regarded as a fad adopted by the Hippy Movement, but I guess after 50 odd years I can call myself a Buddhist (a very poor one!) without being accused of faddism! I toured Thailand in 2000 as I wanted to see how a Buddhist country lived - and I was not disappointed, though I’m much saddened by the events in Myanmar.

Basically, good people are just good people, and ultimately very similar regardless of the religion they follow.

Buddha is quoted as saying, “Look within, thou art Buddha”, just as Jesus said, “The Kingdom of God is within you”. 

• Like 2

I've just realised that Rob237 died SIX yeas ago! It seems like only yesterday that he was posting here.

• Like 1

Spilt my wellies yesterdy and sufferring from the shock of seeing the price of a new pair!  I wear them everyday so they need to be a decent pair too.

26 minutes ago, AfferGorritt said:

... and it prompted me to read a lot of Jack Kerouac’s autobiographical “novels” some of which described his experiences of Buddhism.

Kerouac's 'On the road' is an excellent book.  Although from what I remember, it's Buddhism-free.

• Like 1

Oh no not the dreaded blow out in the wellies! Slow down Compo you're cornering too fast

• Like 2

Received my new fly fishing rod today :biggrin: Took it out on the village green to test it with a range of fly lines. Had a few remarks like "have you caught any"? usual reply - "just a couple of dogs" :rolleyes:

• Like 1