How's your day?

5.30am this morning, already 71 deg. Shall I  expect same when I turn up in Nottingham on Saturday next? Or is it a case of winter drawers on?

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I wish that some of you chainsaw owners lived a bit nearer to us, as poor Paul is going to have to saw the trunk with an ordinary saw and hope it doesn't fall against the fence when it comes down!

Katyjay, I think you know the answer to your question about the weather.... but there again, this is England, so who knows!

Usual visit to the owd fella this morning, he tried telling me today about the miners strike back in the eighties,typical Yorkshireman,anyway got him fed and made him a coffee,sat with him for a time listening to him, (I do wish he would put his hearing aids in his tabs) back home and carried on doing a bit of work on the old engine,got dinner ready,roast chicken,stuffing,steamed carrots and sprouts,roast spuds and parsnips and mashed spud,Yorkshire puds and gravy,very nice,pots washed and put away, sod all on the telly so a bit of tidying up in the greenhouse,(it's raining so cant get in the garden),started to checkout a few facts about Notts collieries on my copy of a CD ROM all about the "Nottingham Collieries",funny enough I bought it from a bloke in Yorkshire,very interesting,anyroad armed with a few facts I will visit the owd fella just in case he gets on about pit's again,,about to make a few sausage rolls now with some leftover puff pastry I have from yesterdays baking,catch you all later

Rog

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I wish that some of you chainsaw owners lived a bit nearer to us, as poor Paul is going to have to saw the trunk with an ordinary saw and hope it doesn't fall against the fence when it comes down!

Katyjay, I think you know the answer to your question about the weather.... but there again, this is England, so who knows!

It’s probably worth paying a few quid to get someone to cut that down and take it away. I hate having to pay people to do do do things but when you get past a certain age (I’m not being rude!) I think it’s better to let the younger ones do it. We’ve got a lot of trees but I would no longer climb a ladder with a chain saw and anyway the sort of single handed chainsaws that the professsionals use can now only be purchased if you can prove you’re qualified in their use. I do have a long pole type chainsaw as well so this will lop of some fairly tall branches. It might be worth getting an electric version of this, not too expensive and probably cheaper than paying someone and you’ve still got the saw when the job’s done.

• Like 1

Phil, Paul is fine climbing up and down the ladder and sawing off the top branches as they are no thicker than 3" diameter and many are less than that.  It's the lower trunk which may take some time. ..... 

That should take place in a few days time, depending on the weather and his energy levels!!

Margie, when Paul’s done your job we’d like him to come over and tackle a tree in our garden. He’d need to work in the dark though, we’re not permitted to lop trees around here and wouldn’t want him to get in trouble with the council !!

• Like 3

Regarding trees..

I bought a 'Fiskars' Pruning Saw.  It only has about a 7" blade, but will cut through 5-6" of green wood because it is so sharp and beautifully made.  They make bigger ones which would no doubt bring down a Californian Redwood in about 10 minutes.

Chain saws are dangerous, and unneccesary in most garden settings.

As for me.. I just gave the front and back lawns a 'first topping' today...

I've decided I need less lawn...

:)

Whilst Notts is getting a few showers the weather is unseasonally warm here. It is 35 deg C here with the ever present danger of bushfires, in fact we have had a total fire ban for the last two days so no burn offs or outdoor bbq's over a fire pit and you cant even weld or use an angle grinder outside on fire ban days.

This is a picture of a bushfire at Stansbury on the Yorke Peninsula that burnt through the bush right to the ocean edge.

Image result for inman valley bush bushfires

• Like 3

Felt like staying in bed this morning when I heard the rain pelting the bedroom window but I had arranged to meet a friend I’ve known for 40 years, since our boys were babies.  She lives near Woburn so we always meet at The Red Lion in Crick, roughly half way.  It was a miserable journey on the motorway, grey and wet but the lunch and catch-up with my friend made it worthwhile. The thatched pub is a bit tired but it’s welcoming and busy and the food is very good.  Much better value for money than The Old Volunteer at Caythorpe that Phil has mentioned in the Masterchef thread too.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Having new windows fitted today. They still have to finish of butwill probably complete tomorrow.  . One window is missing presumably forgotten to make it and we are still waiting for 2 indoor doors. Then we are waiting for a good fine weekend to paint outside. (Inside has to wait a bit) We've been waiting for permision to build a pool which was granted last week but now we have to wait for permission for the work to commence . Outside it looks like a bomb site. i shall be glad when everything starts we seem to be in suspended animation but a as we are fitting a new gate too I can see that everyone will arrive at the same time and with 4 dogs that done like intruders it'll be fun:(

• Like 4

What a cold day today, done a bit of work in my shed and greenhouse before going to see the old fella,he had the cast off his leg yesterday and he's been fitted with some sort of support boot so he can walk on it unaided,he needs to keep that on for a couple of weeks,allowed to take it off at bedtime, he even managed to do himself a bit of dinner which is a good sign as well,although I'm not sure about what he did for dinner,it looked bloody awful,must be some sort of Yorkshire dish.Now I've seen my father eating tripe and also chitterlings but this stuff was something else,he called it BAG, had it with bread and butter and sprinkled salt and vinegar on it, anyroad he asked me if I would fetch him some milk from the shop,he only has that UHT milk, so I popped to the next village and the main shop don't sell it,went down the road to the corner shop and they don't sell it either so it was a drive to the Asda the other side of Hykeham,when I got back to his house with the milk he was asleep on the sofa (well I think he was asleep,hope that stuff he was eating hadn't done him in) anyway left the milk in the fridge and went home,popped back later just in case and he's ok,phew, never did get the money for the milk,typical Yorkshireman, might take him to Coningsby tomorrow to see the RAF planes,

Hope you've all had a good day

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cliff ton or anybody.......been trying to find a picture of Farrands main st Bulwell,,i know there are some on here but i'm blowed if i can find em,,reason for wanting is the shop that was farrands is owned by a bloke called Anil and is a newsagents mainly,  see him 2 or 3 times a week and told him about its farrands days......he was really interested and i would love to show him a photo.........thanks..

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, catfan said:

Do you still get people throwing fag ends out of moving cars ?

Yes and they often start roadside fires that can get away if not acted on quickly by the MFS or the CFS

Most major fires outside the metropolitan areas are started by sparks from welding or angle grinding, or from agricultural equipment hitting rocks and sparking. We have even had fires caused by the hot exhausts from cars parking on long dry grass.

• Like 1

Another cold day out here in the land that god forgot, up early though and washed the car,the roads out here are very muddy, went to see old fella and made him a coffee and sat with him for an hour talking about owt and nowt as you do, did myself a bit of breakfast when I got home, hash brown, sausage, egg and beans with two slices of fresh bread and butter,(I'll never lose this weight)  thought I would do a bit of gardening so on with the boots and gardening jacket and set too with a spade and shovel, got a small piece of the back garden cleared of grass and a few weeds,managed to get half the area dug over but it was very heavy going,did'nt think the soil was that heavy out here,it is very wet at the moment so I left the other half of garden until it dries out a bit, my plan is to grow some peas and runner beans, (prompted by Compo's posts in the gardening thread recently), sweet peas and lupins are beginning to shoot now in the greenhouse but this recent spell of cold weather has slowed them down a bit,give them another two or three weeks and they should be ready for transfering to the pots and troughs that will go in front of the bungalow,new leaf shoots are showing on the silver birch tree in front of the kitchen window where I take the bird pictures,also new leaf shoots on the Acer tree in the front garden and the Swedish Hornbeam in the back garden,

Time to go and see the old fella again now get him some snap ready and a cuppa,no doubt sit there again talking about owt and nowt

Hope you've all had a great day

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, Brew said:

Tis a pity your'e married Rog - I think I'm in love.............. 

The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach ........ :wacko:

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, Brew said:

So long as you don't use Jills sword Lizzie...

I've never used it in anger but I polish it and keep it shining. More likely to use grandma Kate's bread knife. It could tell some tales! :blink:

• Like 2

Been a bit busy last couple of days.

Weds I went back to optician with my new specs.  Very uncomfortable on the nose. A slight tweak helped, but they still need a bit of work.

Yesterday ( Thurs) was another Cavern day out with Picko.  The train in from St Helens to Liverpool was absolutely packed.  Perfect storm of a previous cancellation, plus kids still off school and the first day of the Grand National Meet...

Had a good play with my new camera in the Cav and a few pics may appear in the photo thread, but mostly I was playing with the video functions.  Video is very clear and with great sound considering no separate 'mic' input, but I  can't yet hold the camera as still as my phone.  We'll get there.

As a bonus, there was an unadvertised question and answer session in the Cavern Lounge featuring Earl Slick.  I'd only barely heard of this guy, but he played on lots of David Bowie's albums as well as Lennon's and many others.  He gave some very interesting insights into the whole process of creating music with the likes of Bowie, Lennon et.al.  Well worth being there and I grabbed a few pics and vids.

We've been quite good the last few times, but yesterday we overdid the 'pop' a bit....

Today first thing.  Back to the new Doc's to have an annoying 'thing' taken off my back.  Apparently a 'sebbhoreic keratosis' which is harmless.  But they can itch and this one was becoming a right pain in the back  ;).  The doc actually took two off.  So I have a massive plaster over my left shoulder and it's 'smarting' a bit.

After care instructions.  'Keep the dressing dry for 48 hours'.  'After this a shower is advisable'  :Shock:  I should flippin' well think a shower IS advisable after 48 hours...... 

Now.. still trying to figure out how this works. but I've been invited to go to Amsterdam next week for a Liam Gallagher gig. £121 inc flights, two nights in a hotel and entry to the 'gig' on the guest list...  Never been to Amsterdam and the weather looks set fair...  Hmm..

Col

• Like 1