How's your day?

Don't forget Ben it's only a couple of months since that old couple were given an on the spot fine for feeding the ducks apparently the council call it.........  littering

Jet washer out to day half the patios done and the lady is happy.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

18 hours ago, loppylugs said:
15 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Sorry about the typo in the earlier post.  I'm sure I typed 'training' hadn't noticed my rotten Ipad had changed it to 'trading'  You must    wondered what I was talking about.

Don't worry  loppy i once said i couldn't find any tiny rubber "bullets" how it got from buttons to bullets i will never know.

• Like 1

A funny thing happened to me this morning.....Nah, now I think of it, it wasn't all that funny.

• Like 1

I've got a sore nose.  And no.. it  snot from sticking it in other folk's business.. :rolleyes:

I ordered some new specs a couple of weeks ago.  Decided to go to Boots, St Helens, after a disappointing experience with Specsavers a year or so back.

The optician was excellent and she understood when I said I didn't want to go from my old specs to full new prescription on one jump.  That's what spoiled things with Specsavers. 

I ordered new frames and lenses with all the bells and whistles, .. varifocals, thinned lenses, fancy coatings and 'Transitions' ( like 'Reactolite'..)  Cost, almost £500, with an option on a second pair for half price.

New specs are optically brilliant, but took them back after 24 hours as they were extremely painful.  After adjustment I persevered for a full week with them before giving up and going back Monday.  More changes which made things so much worse that I had to change back to old specs on the 15 minute journey home by car.

So.. back Tuesday.  Spent a good hour with the dispensing guy, trying to get things right and they did feel better when I left.

But.. after I'd driven 250 miles to Chulla's funeral and back.. My nose was incredibly sore again...  To put this in context, I've worn specs for 64 of my 69 years and never had a problem like this...

So..  I think I'm going to have to tell Boots I want another frame.  As far as I'm concerned the deal is that you choose a pair of specs and it's up to them to make sure they fit.

That said, when I arrived at Wilford Hill for Dave's funeral this morning, I checked my tie in the car mirror and thought.  "Who is that mega cool guy in the shades, looking back at me?"  :cool: 

Col

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Need a little help please, went yesterday to look at the Jeep Compas, the salesman treated me like a child and reeled off facts and figures. Basically is it a decent motor it will be used country more than town, i drive a Landrover discovery but maybe need something smaller. When i spoke to my son he said " ask your mates on the Nottingham thing you go on" so i have.

The Subaru Outback or Forrester come out very well in the road tests and if you look on YouTube you will find them to be more than competent off road. They also have a five year warranty. Jeeps don’t have a good reputation for reliability. Honda and Toyota are also noted to be reliable. We currently have an F Pace on the family fleet and that is wonderful. No problems so far after 6000 miles. We’ve had a couple of Discos in between a succession of Shoguns. The Discos were not reliable, the Shoguns were bulletproof but are now falling into the ‘dirty diesel category’ until a new model comes along. Good luck in your choice!

Though probably sorted by now the Jeep had reputation for breaking the back axle at the point where it joined the differential.

Have you looked at the Volvo XC40?

Been asked to what many would deem to be a mundane and boring job tonight,,looking after a car park,,it will be far from that........100 spaces for usually 200 cars........and one entrance/exit,,......bound to be insulted and verbally abused......however i will be doing my 'New York Cop' impression......Dancing with a whistle.....looking forward to it..........lol

• Like 3

Gem, I'm with Brew on his suggestion of the Volvo, apparently the Compass is good in the 4x4 version for off road use and does look like a SUV, but doesn't fare too well in other departments when compared to the competition. Budget may be a factor, and if you're not anticipating much off road use, have a look at the Seat Alteca.

Everyone has differing opinions on cars, all boils down to personal circumstances, but I 'll nail my flag to the Volvo, I have had various models over the years and more than satisfied with them all.

I've been laughing all the way home. As I was leaving the office tonight I overheard one of the cleaners telling another about a funeral she'd been to. "It was really good," she enthused, "and his son gave a wonderful urology!'

No....surely, she was taking the *iss? :blink:

• Like 4
10 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Been asked to what many would deem to be a mundane and boring job tonight,,looking after a car park,,it will be far from that........100 spaces for usually 200 cars........and one entrance/exit,,......bound to be insulted and verbally abused......however i will be doing my 'New York Cop' impression......Dancing with a whistle.....looking forward to it..........lol

Well.......just got back,, what a disappointment ,,less than 100 cars,,no insults or abuse,,so no need to do my 'New York cop bit,,in fact all nice people,,could'nt do it regular too mundane......no edge to it......know what i mean?.....lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A funny sort of day, still thinking about Chulla and what an impression he made on us Nottstalgians who got to know him.  However we’ve rounded the day off at the cosy La Capanna Italian Restaurant in Sherwood in the company of Katyjay, Ian Dawson and Hippogirl (who sadly wasn’t able to join us at Wilford Hill to say goodbye to the Nottstalgia Social Secretary).  Katyjay brought along a book that Chulla wrote about Rolls Royce.  I’m buying a copy of that, even though I haven’t got a clue what it’s all about!   We enjoyed a lovely meal, wine and a bottle of champagne to toast our dear departed pal.  It was also an opportunity to have a good chat with Katyjay as she’s an infrequent visitor to Nottingham. We’ve rounded the evening off in Doctors Orders  micropub, well it had to be done! 

2251_BC77-5_E8_A-4_B26-_B1_CE-73_D58172_

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Wot! You carried on partying after I got me bus! Joking aside, it was a lovely evening, thank you Ian for getting us together. Great to see Chrissie again, it's been a long time.

• Like 1

Well said LizzieM 

Wish we had known that you were going to the restaurant we would have joined you, maybe next meeting if a lot of us attend we can drink a toast to Chulla then.

Mary, the evening was hurriedly arranged so that Hippogirl and Katyjay could catch up, as they are two of the original Nottstalgians and also Ian hadn’t had time to chat properly with Katy on Thursday.   The evening wasn’t  long enough though!   We need to get someone to take over the role of meeting organiser pretty soon, who’s volunteering ........

DJ360

Re your post about boots opticians 

I thought I'd try boots for my new specs..never again.

Talk about hard sell! 

My glasses were never right from the start...the left lens made everything distorted,very uncomfortable to wear,and they were not cheap.

I did go back a few times,but when I left them to be sorted they were just the same I don't think they had even done anything to them.

Dont know about you ,but I was sitting around for 3 hours at my first appointment,as we're other people,we all sat there wondering why it was taking so long ,the lady next to me walked out.

Anyway I will be going back to my old opticians.

• Like 1

Get your prescription (probably free), find an old pair that are a comfortable fit. Take the appropriate measurements and go online to someone like Specs for Less. Choose a frame of the correct measurements, submit your details and pay. You’ll be amazed how cheap they are, even for designer frames, and you’ll realise what a ripoff the high street opticians are plus the fact that the spec fitters are usually incompetent. It’s always worked for me.

• Like 2

Not going to advertise but I had a pair of Titanium frames for less than £50 from the 'net.

• Like 1

Right up there with specs are hearing aids.  (Over here anyway,I'm not sure about the UK). You can pay up to a couple of thousand dollars or more EACH.  I realize there are development costs etc.. But when you get right down to it they are a miniature speaker, microphone and amplifier with some adjustment of frequencies to compensate for where the hearing loss is.  Mine cost me 600 for two about three years ago and that was because my insurance picked up most of the cost.  Could include dentures too, but  I won't go there.  Joys of aging!!   :blink:

• Like 1
On 19/04/2018 at 12:05 PM, Commo said:

Gem, I'm with Brew on his suggestion of the Volvo, apparently the Compass is good in the 4x4 version for off road use and does look like a SUV, but doesn't fare too well in other departments when compared to the competition. Budget may be a factor, and if you're not anticipating much off road use, have a look at the Seat Alteca.

Everyone has differing opinions on cars, all boils down to personal circumstances, but I 'll nail my flag to the Volvo, I have had various models over the years and more than satisfied with them all.

Commo, looked at the  cars suggested by yoursel Brew and Phil, i have booked a test drive in a Volvo momentum and BMW X1. I need a car with lots of space and comfort for mum and aunty so will see it goes.

Just one point about SUV’s. They are somewhat higher off the ground than conventional cars - you must appreciate that because you’ve had a Disco. Are Mum and Auntie nimble enough to get it in? You can always have sidesteps fitted of course.

Have just had my BMW test drive i must admit it was a vanity drive just for me, but saying that i found it heavy on cornering. They have always managed to get in the Disco but sidesteps are something i would consider, my Volvo drive is tomorrow. We are having tea in Whitby and they say to tell you they are very nimble thank you.