How's your day?

Already wished you congratulations Den and Margaret and hope you have a long and happy life together. Love the FB pics, it certainly looks a wonderful day.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

14 hours ago, MargieH said:

Col, wouldn't it be easier to employ a general handyman/Jack of all trades instead of doing it yourself?

What?  ..and miss all the fun?  :)

Seriously Margie I can''t help myself. I'm reasonably competent but no tradesman, and I just feel like it's my 'duty' to do it.  ( I blame Grandad Jack.. with his Military Medal and everything, telling me 'If a job's worth doing.. it's worth doing well'..  And his gigantic sense of 'duty'.. for which you could read 'obligation'..)

I have a plan.  A few things which need sorting. partly by me, bits by others.  When that's all done, I'll call it a day. Everything should then be good for ten more years. Whether I will is a moot point.

Col

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, denshaw said:

It's not often I put personal stuff on here so here goes, a few years ago I found a woman daft enough who would marry me , some of you have met Margaret at some of the meet ups and yesterday was the day we tied the knot. We were married at Arnold Hill park (registry office) and had a brilliant reception at Papplewick Village hall. The day went very well and I would like to thank all of those that sent me personal messages of congratulations.

Dennis.

Congratuations to you both Den.    I wish you a long and happy life together.

Col

• Upvote 1

The North West Hi Fi Show at Cranage Hall in Cheshire today (Sun)  was a real pleasure.  For a start it's a really nice venue, and especially so in the current weather. Went there today ( Sunday) with a friend.  If you've never been to such an event..

Whole hotel taken over by the Audio Industry.  Corridors etc., mostly filled with 'accessory' people, selling things like record cleaning machines, mains conditioners, equipment stands, fancy wires and of course vinyl records and the like. Conference rooms etc., filled by various audio companies flogging their wares... speakers.. record players. digital stuff.. complete systems.  Little tiny solid state amplifiers, bloody great valve amplifiers.. tiny 'speakers', to huge great boxes I couldn't get through my front door. Prices from a complete system for a few hundred quid ( and way better than anything you'd get from Curry's..)  to a record player at £40k +, or a pair of speakers for upwards of £30k. And mostly, if not all British designed and made.

Some stuff was sounding magnificent.  Some was dire.  I'd be ashamed if I was showing it and I've heard better sound from an iPhone.

All that said I spoke to one of the young girls assigned to 'ushering' , I asked her how she felt  about dealiing with a hotel filled with about 5000  ageing, fat beardy blokes all babbling on about audio kit.  She surprised me.

'I like it.'  'You are all very polite and you have stuff here I've never heard, or even dreamed of.. I thought 'hi fi' just meant stuff from Curry's or Dixon's but there's stuff here that's amazing'.

Another convert to audio lunacy.. ;)

Col

Another great day with the open garden. The director of the County Showground visited and I am invited to display the cider making machinery and press at the next County show :biggrin:

There was a village vintage car show too. My mates provided a Jap engined 3 wheeler Morgan, a mk2 LR, a 1960 Bently, a 1930' s Lanchester and a very rare 1920's open top Citroen that was actually made in the UK! and an ex WW2 Jeep that served on Omaha beach. There were the usual MG's and other stuff. Amazing what is kicking around in our village.

The organiser of the open gardens invited all participants to a garden party afterwards. Loads of drinks and a privately hired fish and chip van provided food. We also had a fly past! A hot air balloon passed directly over the garden and we all waved at each other. Looked a bit dangerous as it approached with flame on full blast and only clearing the house chimney by 10 feet :Shock:  

• Like 2
12 hours ago, denshaw said:

It's not often I put personal stuff on here so here goes, a few years ago I found a woman daft enough who would marry me , some of you have met Margaret at some of the meet ups and yesterday was the day we tied the knot. We were married at Arnold Hill park (registry office) and had a brilliant reception at Papplewick Village hall. The day went very well and I would like to thank all of those that sent me personal messages of congratulations.

Dennis.

All the very best both of you. 

You didn't want a wedding car then?

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, siddha said:

All the very best both of you. 

You didn't want a wedding car then?

Thanks for the offer Siddha, maybe next time. We had a great day, all the family helped out, cake maker, chauffeur, room decorator, music provider, MC, quiz party game organiser and many other helpers.

• Like 3

Panicking today. My younger sister is visiting tomorrow for her 59th birthday and I have still not fitted the marzipan to the cake - what's the betting the icing doesn't have time to set :Fool:

It used to be possible to buy prepacked fondant icing which you roll out like pastry. Is that still around? It sets and forms a thin crispy crust in quite a short time.

Go Melissa it really is a beautiful place. We went there frequently as children my brother and I. We 'd always go to see the police horses stabled there, rolly poly down the slopes and finally in the stream for a paddle and a photo taken on the big rock there. I wonder what happened to all the photos my dad took of us? Probably mum threw them all out. They had so many and when he died mum downgraded house and had no room for a lot of things maybe including photos. She's not very sentimental not like me , I save everything from my children and grandchildren. ( also a first baby tooth and a lock of hair from my daughter) 

Not very cheerful this morning I'm afraid. Been awake most of the night and finally got up at 6 am. Last week I was stung by a wasp. I was sweeping outside and it made a beeline for me. I thought there was a nest nearby so I quickly got out of the way. Put some aloe vera gel and lavender oil  on and the pain went straightaway. ( gotya you bugger you cant harm me) huh a couple of days later the pain came back with a swelling so bad that I had never realised that a sting could be so potent. This was on my wrist and the swelling circled my arm.

The other day in exactly the same area outside I was stung again, this time it took me unawares and stung the back of my leg. ( probably the same wasp) Warned neighbours but no nest anywhere, but I think as we cleaned the courtyard up the other day and destroyed a lot of small nests they are getting their revenge. Anyway now my leg is swollen and  the redness has almost joined to the other side. Thats what kept me awake all night. I was so desparate because whatever I put on didnt relieve the pain. At the finish I got a ( dont laugh) tin of tuna from the fridge and rolled it over the sting. A bit of relief was given but then the tin went warm, then I got 2 frozen bread rolls and held those against my leg until they finally defrosted:wacko:

Unfortunately I didnt have any frozen veg which would have been ideal but now I have some cream on which seems to be reducing the swelling and its taken some of the pain away. I got stung a few years ago by a wasp but it wasnt the usual kind ,it seemed to be a double bodied wasp but it didnt give me half the after effects that these gave me.

• Like 1

Probably a little late now nonna but ice and vingegar or pure lemon juice will help with  wasp stings. Bee stings are acidic so need alkaline  but wasp stings are the opposite and need acidic solutions.

• Like 1

Bee stings have to be removed, they only sting once and leave the sting and part of the body behind,  wasps sting many times. We have the hornets, and jeeze it's like a red hot needle for several minutes.

Never tried this with bee or wasp stings, but for mosquito bites, use a hot spoon,as hot as you can bear, rub the back of the spoon on the bite, it does work, itch stops and the swelling goes down right away.

• Like 1

Heat is usually a treatment for protein based poisons i.e. Lionfish stings when diving. Mosquito bites are formic acid and treated the same as wasp although heat should work for both bee and wasps as their is a protein element in both.

Thanks for the info. Mosquito bites are no problem for me . Lavender oil and aloe vera gel every time I get bitten in the summer which is often as its very humid here. Dont fancy the hot spoon though. We too have hornet s but get out of the way double quick if I see one. We have an orchard at the back of the house but now dont go there. Snakes wasps bees and hornets can merrily play without me there.

I only had balsamic vinegar and I never gave lemon juice a thought. Ankle swelling beautifully now.:shout:

nonnaB, be very careful!!!!!

Remember my experience with the hornet sting related elsewhere on these pages?

Get some professional advice without delay. Ignore Jack and Jill vinegar and brown paper style home remedies. Reactions like you're experiencing could well be an indicator of hypersensitivity (allergy) to that and other stings. Since my experience with the hornet, my constant summertime companions are an epinephrine (adrenaline) auto-injector and a supply of chlorphenamine tablets. The local pharmacie also keeps a stock of chlorphenamine injection for me, not being within a reasonable distance of an emergency room.

Tests have shown I now have a cross-sensitivity to hornets, wasp and bees so I have to be triply careful. Without care, my next sting could be my last.

• Like 2