How's your day?

You've reminded me of the days when I went 'sprint' racing at Curborough. A young couple had a Morgan they named 'The Purple People Eater'. candy purple paint job, purple overalls and helmets. Curborough has/had (not been for years) quite steep earth banks at the curves and the lady driving the Morgan gave it beans going into the bend and launched it skyward up the bank. Quite spectacular to watch and she was fortunate to walk away uninjured, car was in a bit of a state though..

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

My basic tenets.

Pointless speeding significantly in any 30 or 40 limit as all you gain is first position in the queue at the next red light.

If driving a car, assume everyone else is an idiot until they prove otherwise.

If riding a motorcycle, assume everyone else is a homicidal maniac whose sole purpose is to get you..

Don't waste your time (and attention) reading those idiotic 'message' signs which say things like . 'Accidents don't just happen.. they are caused'.   Well No S#!t Sherlock!!! By the time you've read that lot you've probably caused another accident...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I don’t have a manual now Brew. The last one I had was a Lotus Elise a couple of years ago. It was always a delight to go up and down through the gears matching the revs! Some years ago, before ‘health and safety gone mad’ kicked in, a group of us Morgan owners hired Cadwell Park track for a whole day with just ourselves to run it. That was a day to remember with only one car leaving on the back of a truck! Last time I drove there it was fun but a bit clinical. I haven’t got a car I would risk on a track day at the moment but I keep looking at Caterham 7’s with longing. Perhaps I should just grow old gracefully now. After all I’ve given up on most of the other pleasures of life.;)

Apropos of very little.. I recall going to some sort of race meet at Curborough when we all charged about in an old A55 Cambridge Van.  Think it my have been cancelled when we got there or something.  Anyway, we spent  while in a pub on the way back, with one of those dartboards that only has a bull and strange diamonds around the perimeter.  

The english abroad, if they don't speak another language do tend to speak in a raised voice. I cant think why but they do. The Italians are naturally loud, probably because they all talk at the same time.   :(We arent in a particularly tourist area although during the year we do have a lot of tourists.

They come for the wine and all the festivities connected with wine. Most will attempt to speak in Italian even badly but I think its nice they try. I think mostly they are perhaps afraid of getting it wrong with a foreign language and everyone laughing at them. This happened to me nearly 50 years ago when my husband attempted to teach me italian . I got the phrase wrong and he laughed. It did put me off for a while. But now I go ahead and if its wrong who cares they know what I'm talking about. Besides everyone knows me , I' m the Inglesina. They tell me my italian is very good but still with a slight accent that they cant tell where I'm from.

Must say though that most europeans do speak english and are pleased to hear another one speak a language they understand.

• Like 2

I'm sure the local Italians love the way you speak nonna......from your posts i can tell you are popular,,...love using the few words i know in different languages,, mostly makes em laugh but they love that i try,,  ''Bella Nonna finesemo''  Ti amo''         lol

• Like 1

Been looking back today at Posts i made when i first joined........some made me cringe  and i started many threads ,some of them made me cringe as well.........and over the four years i realise what a lot of nice folk have come and gone,, outcome is nowadays i keep me gob shut as much as possible,,and only comment when i think its right,,or funny or really interesting.......,,love new people coming on,,....and giving the forum fresh 'impetus''  miss a lot of the ladies comments and some of the blokes,lol, Plantfit (Rog,,and a few others who have dropped off the Radar.......just my thoughts !!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tend to agree Ben, I too miss a lot of folk who were regulars when I first joined several years ago.  Eileen, Hippogirl, Michael Booth, Trevor, Robbie, Dave48, Plantfit.  Shame as I looked upon them and several others not mentioned as friends.  However, going back to the title of this thread ...... I’ve been to the Dungeon monthly reunion this afternoon and chatted to Dave48 for a while, oh and Radio Nottm’s lovely John Holmes (I seem to bump into him regularly!)  I usually see Hippogirl there too every month but she was on family duties in London.  What many won’t realise is that the instigator of these monthly get-togethers in the Newmarket pub is Nottstalgia’s  lovely ‘Vintage Ann’, us ageing Mods owe a lot to her for getting us connected again.  There are now 500 members and loads get to the meet-ups regularly, it’s so good that I try to plan to always been in Nottingham on the last Friday of the month.  

Now we’re off down the local, good job I didn’t overdo the alcohol this afternoon ;)

• Like 3

Last night with the English tourists ^^^^ was uneventful. At least they know now how to eat shellfish in an acceptable way (not using a knife and fork as I've seen some people try to do with a lobster).

My new found friends are a family from Rochdale - a couple in their late 50’s or so, their son and daughter in law. It's their first visit to the Riviera. Their previous overseas experiences seem to have been package holidays to places like Benidorm (which I’m sure is fine if you like that sort of thing) but they wanted somewhere more classy so they decided to be independent and book everything themselves.

I think I explained enough to them to prevent the speaking English with a French accent and with increasing loudness when communicating with the natives and we parted very amicably. I did feel somewhat guilty about being entertained like that (the seafront seafood restaurants on la Croisette are far from being cheap. Even it you know the owner as I do) so, I asked them to visit my home and we could have a real home-cooked Provence meal away from the touristy restaurants. They are coming this evening. I hope I haven’t made a mistake.

I’ll have to send a car out to pick them up as they probably won’t be able to find me and will almost certainly get lost on their return journey in the dark (not many street lights near here!) although its an almost full moon.

• Like 3

We had seafood yesterday evening. I’m very fond of a crab salad and we used to have a visiting fishmonger from Grimsby (fresh Grimsby fish!) who used to bring a couple of crabs when asked during the summer. Otherwise we just bought whatever fish he had on his van. He was a bit expensive but I thought I was getting the real McCoy until I spotted him buying cod in large quantities at Morrison’s fish counter! I stopped buying from him after that. Yesterday, in Morrison’s Netherfield, I spotted two large brown crabs sealed in polythene at £6 each. They looked tempting so we bore them home where I dressed them (or should it be undressed?) I must say they were perfectly fresh and yielded a large amount of meat. It’s the first time I’ve seen whole crabs for sale there so I hope it will be regular.

• Like 3

Thank you, Ian. It was the least I could do.

phil, your tale about the travelling fishmonger reminds me of, when I lived in Sussex, there was a travelling fishmonger who was discovered one day with his van wrapped around a tree, said fishmonger reeling around in a daze as though drunk and his stock of fish all around him on the ground.

What had happened was that for some reason or somehow, unbeknown, the ventilation system of the cooling system in the van had failed so it gradually filled with CO2 from the evaporating dry ice. This made him gradually lose consciousness, hence van around the tree.

Our fishmonger filled his van with ice when he left Grimsby then stood selling for a couple of hours on Mansfield Market. He then came round the villages to sell whatever was left. The ice had all but melted. I'd been wanting to tell him to sling his hook for some time but I was wary of saying that to a 25 stone, tattooed, Hell's Angel fishmonger. In the end we finished our relationship by pretending to be out and he gave up in the end. The fish from Morrisons is much fresher and a whole lot cheaper!

• Like 2

^^^^^^^^^^ Similar scam to the grocer on Mansfield road near Winchester street, local grown and organic signs all over his displays. My lad who lives on Winchester street used buy from him regularly, until one day he pointed him out to me in Makro with two trolley's full of fruit and veg.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jonab said:

, I asked them to visit my home and we could have a real home-cooked Provence meal away from the touristy restaurants. They are coming this evening. I hope I haven’t made a mistake.

I’ll have to send a car out to pick them up as they probably won’t be able to find me and will almost certainly get lost on their return journey in the dark (not many street lights near here!) although its an almost full moon.

Pity you weren’t a Nottstalgian 2 or 3 years ago jonab, when we had our place in Mandelieu-la-Napoule, we would have come for a home-cooked Provence dinner, being an Arnold girl I would have invited myself smile2

• Like 2

We had a great day at Newcastle Race Course for Mums birthday, lovely meal and the sun kept shining, so pleased i opted for a big hat. As usual i lost money both Mum and Aunt won money, i shall have to start and pick my horses their way......its very technical  "thats a nice name or i once knew somebody who had a pet called that".  They have done it the same way for years used to drive Dad crazy, he would study form check if the going was good then still lose.

• Like 2

LizzieM, Mandelieu-la-Napoule isn't a place I know very well - I tend to avoid the coast and I believe there is a bit of an American influence there - another no-no. Did you live there full time?

3 hours ago, jonab said:

LizzieM, Mandelieu-la-Napoule isn't a place I know very well - I tend to avoid the coast and I believe there is a bit of an American influence there - another no-no. Did you live there full time?

No jonab, we had an apartment there and went a few times a year, sometimes flying but usually drove down.  It was in a lovely spot at Cannes Marina, overlooking the 1st tee on the Old Golf Course.  We could see Cannes from our place and went in fairly regularly but it was quiet in La Napoule. Didn’t notice an American influence !  In fact there were very few English folk around there either. We sold the apartment 18 months ago and swapped for a seaside home in Dorset, mainly due to my health problems, I wanted to be close to our wonderful NHS.  Here is our view of Cannes

070_E4452-2205-44_AD-_A88_E-59_A0_BF225_

• Like 3

In case anyone’s interested, my entertaining of the Brits last night was a bit odd.

They seemed overwhelmed by it all. Firstly being picked up in a chauffeur-driven Merc – it wasn’t a chauffeur, it was my carer (minder), Thierry, who’d borrowed a chauffeur’s cap for the occasion. Second was my house. I’ve said, I think, that I live in an old Provençal villa, well, they seemed to think it was a château – it really isn’t – it’s a fairly large place (yes) but it was relatively very cheap to buy just because it was so big that onbody else wanted it at the time. Also that I had “servants”. Well, I don’t. I have a full-time carer and a husband and wife partnership to look after the property as I am unable to do that myself. I would never class them as servants, they are staff to help maintain the “estate”.

Anyway, that over with and after being given a quick tour of the property and garden we sat down to eat. It was a beautiful, balmy evening so we sat outside (under the cherry trees – the cherries aren’t ready yet, btw*). I had already ascertained their garlic tolerance:- “as much as you like to offer” so we started with aïoli and crudités which seemed to go down well. To follow was beignets de fleurs de courgettes. This caused a bit of confusion but they seemed to enjoy after some persuasion to try it out. Next was rouget grillé – this was another one that caused some panic. The main course was magret de canard aux figues fraîches. This is normally prepared with dried figs but I prefer fresh ones. This was a hit, once they were told what it was but I’m not sure how acceptable the figs were. I did offer some spuds and two veg but they were polite enough to refuse, opting for bread instead. We finished with cheese and fruit.

As it got darker we were treated to a magnificent display of fireflies – quite the best I’ve seen for years so that’s a memory for them to cherish.

I don’t think there will be a lasting friendship with my new acquaintances. The old man (figuratively, he’s about twenty years younger than me) is something of an obsessive and was continually banging on about brexit and how it would affect me (in particular). He wouldn’t (or couldn’t) accept that it wouldn’t bother me and that I was able to take out French citizenship at any time if needed. There were a number of other things that caused disagreement as well.

The deciding factor was, however, the dogs didn’t like them. They ran into their own room and kept away all evening.

*See a previous post

• Like 3

I thought your generosity and hospitality were exceptional. They’ve probably never experienced anything like it before. People don’t seem to know how to behave these days. Perhaps I’m just too old fashioned. Rapidly becoming a misanthrope as well! :(

3 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I thought your generosity and hospitality were exceptional. They’ve probably never experienced anything like it before. People don’t seem to know how to behave these days. Perhaps I’m just too old fashioned. Rapidly becoming a misanthrope as well! :(

quite agree, Phil. Jonab, an evening like that would happily be my last one on this earth. The phrase gift horse in the mouth comes to mind 

• Upvote 1