• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Hmmm. Odd that, Margie. The poster states "We've been listening to what you tell us" !!

Jill, maybe they listen in Nottingham but not in Cambs!   A Morrisons store opened a few months ago about 7 miles away from us, but the food deliveries are packed and delivered from Peterborough, which is nearly 30 miles away...

I have now replaced all the patio slabs wot I lifted to dig the trench.  They are not perfectly level.  I did this to re-create the way they were before....  :)

Still some work to do in the loo and removing the old soil pipe and boxing from the Dining Room.  Should be fun...

Still a bit cloudy here.  Too cloudy for my liking.. but 'Hey Ho!!' we've done pretty well so far this summer.  Popping out to collect my second 'half price' specs from Boots and will also get my repeat prescriptions before resuming operations on the never ending DIY front.

I lead such a thrilling life...:rolleyes:

Its hiding here Ian, no shade anywhere. ( we face south) 6.30 in pool this morning . 20 lengths and excercises done. Starting to feel its doing my back a lot of good. Water is still warm at that time , I dont get that initial shock of cold water when I get in. Tiling almost finished, just a bit more grouting and we'll be able to sunbathe in peace.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Swept all the dust and grit around and hosed down all round pool. 2 1/2 hrs. At 9.30 got in and just let the water soothe me. Light on and it was heaven. Just a few strokes and a couple of excercises and I was so relaxed. Temperature 27 c earlier was 35 c

Next door neighbours uncle gave me another tray of courgettes and tomatoes. Looks like being a busy day preserving them tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Had a great day in the mountains at Coighach in the far north west of Scotland yesterday.  On the way to the peninsula I passed PPs favourite pub just north of Elphin, the Altnacealgach Inn.  Here's a photo of Mrs Compo pausing on the Garbh-Coireachan ridge to take photos.  You can see the Summer Isles in the background More photos in a link posteed in "Members hobbies and Interest Chat".

42621233455_562bcf7897_b.jpg

• Like 7

I agree it's breathtaking.... certainly would be if I tried to climb it.... living in a bungalow, I don't even have stairs to climb!!

• Like 1

Was chatting this afternoon with a group of people when someone mentioned that her mother had lost her purse with a lot of money inside. I said that when my mum and aunt went out they had usually about £20 in cash and £100 available on bank card, i have always stressed if somebody tries to take your bag let them they won't get much. Someone said that was terrible and i should not limit them to the amount of money they can spend as it is their money, they can buy anything they want when they want. Other people agreed with her (not my friends)  now i am wondering if i am wrong and i should not limit their money, i have never thought of it in this way before. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

I think you're sensible Gem, and only thinking of their welfare. Older folk are such easy targets these days, although someone could still stalk them at an ATM, then attack them. Very awkward, but I feel you're only doing it for the right reasons, and not being frugal with them. 

Well done.

• Like 3

Gem, as my Dad neared 90 I actually took his debit card off him in case he got caught by the fraudsters who phone up.  We get them, sometimes several times a day and I give them short shrift, I used to shout obscenities down the phone at them but my husband told me it wasn’t lady-like, but it was Nottingham! Old folk are vulnerable and we ‘youngsters’ need to protect them.  Well done to you. Better to lose a handbag containing debit card and a bit of cash than ending up on life-support.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The evidence shows that actual physical attacks on the elderly are pretty rare. Obviously devastating when they do happen..  but rare especially compared to violent crime against younger people.  On the other hand, the elderly are pretty vulnerable to 'scams', fraud etc., so precautions around cards and bank accounts are a wise move. 

My dad fell for several postal scams. You know the sort, "you have defiantly won a prize in our mutli thousand pound competition, ring this number to claim -09####".

Of course it cost him about £7 a shot ringing the premium number to win a voucher that gave a discount on some super dooper, top of the range watches worth nearly £500, yours for only £299 with the vouchers. He finished up with four sets of his and hers watches that are total garbage and can be bought on Skeggy front for less than a fiver.

There then followed an avalanche of post (really, it came bundled up with elastic bands!) trying to entice him, they even continued to send them after he died.

I reported it of course but they were cleverly worded in such a way they do not actually commit a crime (this is before the consumer rights act).

My mum was 97 and had dementia TSB sent her a credit card, my bother and myself went up to the bank several times and told them, in the end I had to get mum to just say NO! when TSB phoned her, the bank did not know it was my mum it could have been anybody. What a carry on it was. 

When my dad  went out to a pub for some reason each time he went to the toilet he came back with a watch, what a barging he would say, he must have at least 10 watches.

One of the times when they did get taken for a ride was on a Friday night, I was about 12/13. My younger bother had met an old fellow at the bottom of our street and brought him back to the house, he spoke to my dad about my eldest bother who at the time was in the RAF he made it very clear that he was my bothers best friend, so dad being dad offered him a bed for the night, not any bed he and my mum slept down stairs. Next morning he was gone with all mum and dads money which of course  they kept in the bed room.   How did he know so much well when he walked up the street with my younger bother he pumped him for all the information.  The only thing I said to mum and dad was "Why has he not got any luggage"  but my dad was far too soft for his own good.

Brew, I've noticed the wording on the 'claim your prize' form says that you have DEFINITIVELY (not DEFINITELY) won a prize.  I suppose 'definitively' means 'as defined in the terms and conditions.'   When these are read, it is clear that you haven't won the big prize as you thought...

We discovered shortly before she died that Paul's mum had been buying loads of Readers Digest books every month as they said she was almost at the top of the list to 'definitively' win a prize.  It stated that the winner would be invited to a big prizegiving in London and they could bring a friend or relative with them.  She was very excited and asked me to go with her - that's how we found out about it.   The books were lovely hardbacks but were expensive and she wouldn't normally have bought them.... about 20 - 30 in total.  So it can be 'reputable' organisations who do this.

The problem with older people (and anyone really) that they don't have their debit card pin number written down and in their wallet/purse. Also they haven't got  one of the "Touch & Pay"cards. 

An elderly lady in Wick was taken for all her savings and her disabled son's too.  Despite both police and social work trying to convince her that she was being scammed by someone telling her that she had won half a million but had to send money to them to release the funds, etc., she continued sending the cash until there was nothing left.  I get very angry at these scumbags and believe that current punishment is nowhere near severe enough for those caught.

My folks were caught by an encyclopedia salesman when I was about 6 or 7.

It was the summer holiday time and I was away staying with my granny. The salesman somehow found out that I was not at home and also got to know some of my interests. This gave him the introduction. He began by saying he was from "The Education Department". I was (and still am) that they were taken in by this but they obviously thought the fella represented the Notts education authority.

Anyway, my parents spent a huge amount of money on a set of encyclopedias (which they continued to pay for several years and which they could ill afford) for a set of books which were useless. Nicely printed and bound but useless nevertheless.

• Upvote 1

Big problem here too but a while ago a tv programmer was pinpointing the scams towards the elderly. Advising the elderly to watch out for tell tale errors in their approach. It gave them a very clear indication what to look for. These pointers were enacted in little scenes along with an elderly handicapped man and a very attractive girl. As a lot of elderly live in apartments they were advised on all sorts of security's. An extremely useful bit of advice towards the O A P's

Spent the morning waiting for the electrician to come and finish his jobs. The electric gate suddenly wouldn't open or rather would open only on one side, the sensor outside needs replacing. The alarms need to be reinstalled and a powered point needs replacing. It's being held together with masking tape. Doesn't it make you mad when they don't turn up.

I now feel that i am doing the right thing, until yesterday i had always thought i was. Their cards are scan type and up to now no problems they very rarely spend more that £20 on a transaction, i appreciate your comments. Unfortunately they are still happy shoppers on line.........but its their cash they can spend it how they like. Love them both.

Gem

Only today I answered the phone and an ‘Asian’ chap called Steven (oh yeah!) asked to speak to me, by my full name.  I told him I was dead ........  he immediately ended the call.  Mmmm, hope I’m not tempting fate. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2