How's your day?

Yes, we are talking slightly different pests.   You will know if you ever get a tick.  They are about an eigth of an inch in diameter with eight little legs.  Once they attach they can almost be mistaken for a mole, but they do not brush off.  They take some hard moving.  A hot match head, Meths, liquid soap,fine pair of tweezers.  The choice is yours.  Other biting insects tend to bite and move on but not the tick.  If he/she is carrying a disease they can inject it into your system.  Doctors usually use a spread shot approach of antibiotics if you can catch it early.  They like our pets because they can hide under the fur.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Maybe we mean different things. Here I'm talking about insect bites in general but colloquially we  just say tics. You never know you've been bitten until after they are long gone, I've certainly never seen one I could 'pop'

Not ticks if they're long gone Brew.  Ticks bury their mouth parts and half of their head in you.  They don't leave without a fight and can spread Lyme and other diseases.  Partly climate I think, but we also have more deer etc., wandering about and they seem to be associated with them..  I've seen a deer a mile of so from here in a wheatfield, though we have no 'official' deer parks etc.

As for insects in general.  I've described on here how the common brown horsefly ( Cleg) often bites me. It's a moderately annoying bite.  Mosquitos and Midges, bother me much less but I still itch.  Various types of Black Fly (Simulidae) also have nasty bites.....the worst I've experienced for itching.  Lasts for weeks.  Some small flower bugs can also bite. Anthocoris Nemorum, the Common Flower Bug is a cheeky little sod and often gets me.  Reddish brown thing with a white patch each side.  Also some Damsel Bugs, (Nabidae) ..not to be confused with Damsel Flies.. also have a vicious bite.  There's a largish straw coloured one that really hurts if it bites.

Col

• Like 1

Same here Brew.  Thing is I'm finding that for every one thing I learn, I forget two others.. I have a sort of general interest in stuff like insects, moths, butterflies etc.  I don't know much, but I have a few books to help with remembering what's what or identifying some little thing that bit me.  If I can catch it.

Dorling Kindersley's little 'Pocket Nature' books are useful.  George Mc Gavin did their insect one.  He's the insect bloke off the telly.  Knows his stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMPLETE-POCKET-NATURE-GUIDES-DK/dp/1405391340

You are correct of course.

9 hours ago, jonab said:

think the reason for using juniper berries for this purpose is that it is known that juniper has antiseptic properties and it is very common growing wild around here. There is a local conserve of juniper made by mixing juniper berries with suga

Juniper essential oil is very potent stuff and should be used with caution, certainly never by or around anyone who is pregnant. I think this may be the root of the old myth that drinking gin is a reliable method of causing an abortion.

Certainly, juniper essential oil should never be used neat.

How about bed bugs? Any of you experienced them?  We did, a very traumatic experience and very costly to get rid of them.   The infestation occurred at the time when our sons (and their pals, who stayed at our house regularly) were travelling overseas a lot, the bugs must have hitchhiked their way back in rucksacks etc.  We were ruthless when we discovered the problem, apart from getting an expert in to spray every piece of furniture and nook and cranny, we had a big bonfire and burnt most of the beds.  

Our sons still travel the world extensively but as they have their own homes they don’t bring any nasty creatures back home to OUR house! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I can never understand why wildlife experts want to keep creating bug habitats. I love wildlife, but just can't fathom this out. 

Cos big critters eat little critters n little critters eat smaller critters...................

• Like 1

And bugs are also pollinators etc.

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so, ad infinitum.
And the great fleas, themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on

This was frequently recited during maths lessons...not that I would ever dignify them with such a term....at The Manning by the dreaded Irish entrepreneur of the Pytagoras Tearoom. What on earth it has to do with maths I don't know. But then, what did diatribes about the potato famine have to do with maths?

Barmy old baggage!

• Like 3

Never dealt with Bedbugs, but I've read they can be a nightmare to get rid of.  Seems you can get them anywhere, even top hotels.  It's not just a cheap motel problem.

I read somewhere it is Since  DDT was banned.  Makes you wonder which is worse, the problem or the cure.

Same here we have loads of ticks. Living in the middle of grape vines is lovely but with our 3 dogs plus my daughters dog it's a daily inspection of fur. They are treated for prevention of everything going but the occasional tick gets through I heat up a sewing needle place it on its body, out comes all the legs and head so with a quick pull with a tissue it's out. Never fails. We have cat loving neighbors and apart from 3 cats in the house they have at the moment 8 strays. So far fleas haven't been a problem, thank goodness. Our problem is zanzare ( mosquitoes) they can cause filaria in animals. Around here it's very humid and bites are so common. My remedy is lavender oil followed by aloe Vera gel. Bite blister disappears straightaway.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2018 at 10:44 AM, Brew said:

Idly flicking through TV channels yesterday I found a shopping channel talking about Christmas gifts already...

In Nottingham this morning, I noticed that "The Works' (cheap book shop near the Council House) is selling reduced special offer packs of christmas cards.

Several pubs and restaurants are advertising for Christmas bookings too. Blimey, I've got at least three more holidays to get through yet !

Jill,

Fresh juniper berries are a bit like blackcurrants (provided they're ripe) with a faint gin-like flavour. They're sweet and juicy, nothing like those nasty dried-up things that you get in supermarkets in the UK. Mixed with an equal weight of sugar and boiled they make a very tasty conserve which, as I say is very nice on buttered toast or with chèvre.

I entirely agree about juniper oil - even more so juniper wood oil (cheap version).

lovely morning in 'Sunny Bulwell'............met some crazy characters as usual.......old Scotsman in Newsagents demonstrating his 'orthodox' Boxing style to Anil the owner,,obviously joined in and showed the Scot my 'Southpaw' style,, ocseyoos yerflipsassanach said he after shaking my hand and going off still laughing and muttering sumat else in Glaswegion,, next in the Cobblers up the 'Alley'' took two pair of shoes for repair,,Dave the owner tells me,,''bring a tenner in friday they'll be ready........into Wethers next for breakfast,,speaking to a lady of about 60 who told me shes off to Tenerife for 10 days by herself and did i want to go with her..'Honest'' ask Donna  lol,,declined the offer,,but thanked her.

Coming out of Wethers saw a chap in a 'wheelchair who i'd not seen for about 4 years.....told him ''last time i saw you ,,you said Docs gave you 12 months to live ?       ''Aye they got that wrong dint they'' said he laughing.

Next saw Denis Robinson the ex Hucknall and Bulwell Dispatch reporter for many years (bet catfan knows him) had a short chat nice to see him looked well.

All the aforementioned happened in about hour and half,,not much in the great scheme of things,,but Bulwell and its people always cheer me up.........oh yes nearly forgot there was this big bloke wearing........oh no tell you later.................lol

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Thought you would know him mate.........i used to see him regular at the Courts,when i was giving evidence about Shoplifters........

• Like 1

They're BACk!!!   The Yellowjackets I mean.  One got Mrs L on the angle this morning.  She was just standing near the hole in the ground waiting for the dogs.  She hadn't noticed it.  Sooooo!  Tonight they get Petrol for supper.  You have to attack when it's almost dark.  If you attack during the day some are out foraging for food and they all come out and attack you.  You have to wait 'til they are all inside.  Pour the gas down the hole and quickly whack a jar over it.  Taught to me by an old Hillbilly.

• Like 2