How's your day?

No Margie. I’m just a dismembered voice crying out in the wilderness and I don’t venture out in daylight. In any case, if you read my earlier post about my car breaking down, I may be going over to Lincoln to reclaim it on Tuesday.

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Few politicians talk about overpopulation but this is one of the World’s biggest problems which we can all experience but no one is prepared to propose any action to control.

Mother Nature will control it eventually. Won't be pretty but no one ever said she's a benign mother.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Mother Nature will control it eventually. Won't be pretty but no one ever said she's a benign mother.

Yes I suppose the idea of giving people a transistor radio to have only one child is outdated. More drastic action is called for. I remember when I did my bit and had ‘the snip’, the nurse said ‘I’m supposed to be mopping the surgeon’s brow, not yours!’:biggrin:

• Like 5

World population is apparently about 7 Billion.  It seems that.. and I quote:

based on a world population of seven billion, the world's inhabitants, as a loose crowd taking up ten square feet (one square metre) per person (Jacobs Method), would occupy a space a little larger than Delaware's land area.[citation needed]

So, in a very real sense it isn't the overall population that's the problem, but population density in certain places. Some areas are densely populated because people want to live there. Others are crowded because people can't get out of them.

Personally then.. I'm not too worried about the overall population... but then again.. like most of us on here, I'm able to live somewhere relatively peaceful and uncrowded. I wouldnt like being forced to live somewhere like Hong Kong or Cairo, which are hugely densely populated.

The trouble is, that as more of the World's population gets access to technology, industry, and all of the things we take for granted, such as energy, water 'on tap', and powered transport etc.. this in turn puts more pressure on the environment and the 'natural' world. However, on the other hand, our economic system relies on us seeking new markets, so that we are constantly expanding the 'Western Developed' way of life ever further afield.

It seems to me to be a bit unfair for the 'Developed World' to start pulling up the ladder on the rest.  What we really need is a world wide reduction in the exploitation of fossil fuels and non renewable resources  such as minerals, oceans, jungles, forests and deserts.  Surely renewable energy sources, better recycling etc.,etc. are part of the answer.  Also, the elimination of poverty, which can lead to larger families.

As per usual.. the above is all dependent upon political will and political co-operation.  We learn to do that, or we wait, as Jill says, for nature to take its revenge.

• Like 1

You see that's the problem Phil.  You can tell them they'll all fit.. but getting them all together at one time is a logistical nightmare....

40 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

It was said, not many years ago, that you could get the whole of the world's population on the Isle of White. I doubt that's true now. I've been a few times but I didn't rate it that much.

Is that near the Isle of Wight?  Off there for a family gathering this week, I’ll let you know what it’s like now

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Brew.   I didn't give your post a like.  I don't disagree with it.  I just didn't want you to think that  I somehow like the trials you have.  I don't think there is much doubt that time does seem to go quicker.  Probably just seems that way because we are slower at doing stuff.

Jill.  Re. Your Polar Bear post.  I don't disagree with you.  It is pitiful that such a beautiful animal should be shot for just trying to defend his own back yard.  Animal habitat is being swallowed up at alarming rates.  

Re.  the earth's population.  Not wanting to start a religious debate but the book of Revelation indicates that the earth's population will be reduced by approx two thirds at some coming time, which I believe, is very close. That little problem will be solved.  That's all I'll say on the topic.  If you want more you'll have to look it up. ;)

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Is that near the Isle of Wight?  Off there for a family gathering this week, I’ll let you know what it’s like now

Back in my flying days we used to go down to Sandown airfield on a nice summer Saturday afternoon. You just had to fly due south from Nottingham until it hove into view. We'd wander down to the beach and have an ice cream. The nearest seaside alternative was Skegness but that wasn't quite so exciting. I did fly to Blackpool once but that was a dreadful place. Overseas was better - Le Touquet for lunch! 

37 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Stay well away from Sandown Lizzie, that place is dire. Many other nice places to see there.

Me & Mrs C spending our wedding anniversary on the IOW later on this year !

10 minutes ago, catfan said:

Stay well away from Sandown Lizzie, that place is dire. Many other nice places to see there.

Me & Mrs C spending our wedding anniversary on the IOW later on this year !

Just when she's having a quite weekend away from it all she bumps into Catfan!! That happened to a friend of mine in Greece. He was up in the mountains, miles away from anywhere and when he gets onto the bus back to civilisation a voice chirps up "Hello Mr. Simpson!" He said it was the "bloody woman from the fish shop in Arnold!" smile2

• Like 1
16 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Back in my flying days we used to go down to Sandown airfield on a nice summer Saturday afternoon. You just had to fly due south from Nottingham until it hove into view. We'd wander down to the beach and have an ice cream. The nearest seaside alternative was Skegness but that wasn't quite so exciting. I did fly to Blackpool once but that was a dreadful place. Overseas was better - Le Touquet for lunch! 

I imagine landing fees would tend to hike up the true cost of your ice cream!!

Seriously.. what sort of fees do airports charge?

About a fiver, or sometimes free back in the 70’s. I think it’s around £10 at general aviation airfields and possibly £25 at EMA. At major airports you have to appoint a handling agent and a time booked slot plus an extra charge for time on the ground. Best avoided, but it would have been nice to have had Heathrow in my logbook! I have got Le Bourget but I can’t remember the fee. If it was horrendous I would have remembered!

• Like 2

I've landed many times (and taken off) at EMA - price included in the flying lessons when I was a member of Donnair flying club and learning to fly. I don't think I'll bother again at that price!

• Like 1

I think that Donair will have a landing fee agreement. They've been there a long time. Did you know Phil Slater who used to fly from there and also Len Stapleton who used to instruct there and at Sherwood? Also the famous Hector Taylor - although he ran the East Midland's School.

What a Day. Temperature  tonight just a few minutes ago ( 7pm here) was 37 c. Its too much

• Like 1

Phil, the only name I know is Len Stapleton although I only know 'of' him never actually met him.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Phil, the only name I know is Len Stapleton although I only know 'of' him never actually met him.

Sadly Len was cremated last Monday at the age of 92. He was ex RAF Sqad. Leader and CFI at Sherwood for many years. He also ‘moonlighted’ at Donair! He used to fly Sunderland flying boats and his last posting was at Syerston when he instructed on Jet Provosts. He subsequently worked for Birchwood Boats where he was in charge of the hull  building shop and as their company pilot flew their Cessna 310. The other guy, Phil Slater, used to fly with Donair and almost every week he flew to France. There were always willing cost sharing passengers so he flew for free. He even had a duty free account with BMA and they fixed him up with a bar box each week! I meet with him for a drink each week together with another old flyer, Derrick Deakin, a name that Catfan might recognise.

Using the free wifi in the cat cafe.... lovely (human) food and purrrrfect company.  I'll post photos of the meet up tomorrow.   "Get down, Tiddles, leave my cake alone!"

• Like 2