• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Thanks for the many kind remarks folks,, will indeed keep getting out Nonna,,if only to Wethers in Bulwell,,which incidentally was an extra pleasure this morning cos i met up with the lovely Trogg.......introduced him to my old Geezer mates who made him welcome......then retired out back for our own chat......really enjoyed it mate  do it again anytime..............

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Clap ya hands once,,clap your hands twice

If it looks like this,you doing it right...............lol nice one Den.........

• Like 1

Do they allow walking sticks (or walking frames) on the dance floor do you think?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Looks like my wish to work less hours has been granted! I'll be Gadding over to Wethers in Bulwell in September. Ben and young Trogg, watch out!

Wear a burka and go incognito. I can just see a burka in Wethers at Bulwell. Order a pint at the bar and let the fun begin! smile2

• Like 2

MargieH  you recently had an apple tree fall over, well this morning I had the same happen to me ,too much fruit on it, I knew should have taken some off. But I am lucky where yours had memories mine is only been in for two years. I was surprised when so much of the  fruit set ,I expected to lose most of it in the June drop but lost very little, so it serves me right for being lazy. 

• Upvote 1

I'm pleased to get onto apple trees after kicking off a burka issue this morning! I've just got in from cutting the grass in our orchard; it was very parched but needed a tidy up. I was amazed at the prolific crop of apples and pears we've got. I've never seen so many Bramleys, they're hanging down like bunches of grapes. One tree is a clone of the original Southwell Bramley. The very hot weather has had no adverse effect on the cropping. There are only so many apple pies we can eat. Do they make a good cider apple? I've got the kit for chopping and pressing but I've not used it in years and my last attempt at cider was a disaster. 

54 minutes ago, trogg said:

MargieH  you recently had an apple tree fall over, well this morning I had the same happen to me ,too much fruit on it, I knew should have taken some off. But I am lucky where yours had memories mine is only been in for two years. I was surprised when so much of the  fruit set ,I expected to lose most of it in the June drop but lost very little, so it serves me right for being lazy. 

In June we lost loads of little apples - I can't help counting things (a bit OCD?) so I can say with certainty it was over 2000!  I don't know the exact number because Paul was picking them up every day as well.....

...but the hundreds that were left on the tree were, in part, the reason the tree fell down as it only leaned in one direction and the lower branches were less than a foot above the grass.  

I think it was the drought as well, as we hadn't been watering it.  We've been giving it buckets and buckets of waste water since it fell and, as yet, the leaves are still soft and green and the remaining apples are growing a bit bigger.   

• Like 1

I have noticed that this years despite the drought all the fruit trees have cropped extremely well and an enormous amount of growth as well, I thought the opposite would happen. Perhaps we have a gardener on the forum who knows why.

Using a bit of anthropomorphism here... but perhaps they're trying to do as much as they can before they die from lack of water!.   A 'last ditch attempt'?     I don't know if I really believe that but the idea just popped into my head...

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, MargieH said:

anthropomorphism

Googles the above word still no clue? Sidney Pearson Hill, Radford. 

I have an an apple tree, but it's only ever had one apple on it? Could you Adam & Eve it? 

• Like 1

Anthropomorphism = giving something which is non-human, the attributes of a human being -a bit  like  people who say things about their pets....

e.g.  those people who have a dressed up wedding for two dogs because they say the dogs are in love!"  

Btw,  It might not have been an apple!   In the Bible, it just says 'fruit' ....  not many people know that...   I know, I know, not many people (including me) are bothered about whether it was an apple or not..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Using a bit of anthropomorphism here... but perhaps they're trying to do as much as they can before they die from lack of water!.   A 'last ditch attempt'?     I don't know if I really believe that but the idea just popped into my head...

That's an interesting proposition Margie. I can't, as they say, 'get my head around it' but I'll ponder on that theory as my way of getting to sleep tonight.

• Like 1

You may be right Margie most plants are programed by nature to procreate and you certainly get a boost in production as the season comes to an end or plants start to suffer for some reason.

I used to know a gardener who would stress his runners by withholding water to kick them off, he said it worked but I have never tried it.

• Like 1

Fancy that - me understanding plants!   I do talk to them sometimes, though - just call me Charles! - and love touching the rough bark of my fallen tree.   

Wow, not only  am I a snowflake,  think I might also be a tree hugger..... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Years ago we had a plum tree which never did produce much fruit. The next door gneighbour was a keen gardener and he told my dad that trees fall asleep sometimes just like animals that go into hibernation. He told dad to beat its trunk with a solid stick and shout at it

Dad did this feeling silly and wondered if anyone could hear. The following year we had an enormous yeild of plums. After hearing that my sister in law tried it with her fig tree ...same result.  It does work.

Reminds me of an old saying: "Women and dogs and a Walnut tree, the more you beat them the better they be"        isitsafe

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Do they make a good cider apple?

Bramley's are usually regarded as too acidic for a single apple cider but there are some commercial producers here in Australia that use Bramley apples in their products.