• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

And lost into the bargain !

It reminds me of a time we played Palace at Selhurst Park. Several of us returned home about 8.30, but a couple stayed on for a longer session. My mate Tony from Stapleford, was worse for wear, and peered out of the train window and saw a sign resembling ***ough. He assumed it was Attenborough, and got off thinking he'd walk home. It was Loughborough and he slept in the waiting room till Sunday morning.

• Like 2

Ok, I'll write this post slowly because I've been informed some of the members can't read all that fast, slywink

Not going out on the trike today so decided to give it a good clean before autumn gets here, off with the seat and pannier bags,chain off and cleaned and re-oiled,all gear changing parts cleaned and oiled as well as the cables for gears and brakes, a good going over with some Mr Sheen and it's ready for putting back together ready for my coffee morning ride tomorrow,

P1060901.jpg

P1060902.jpg

I find putting the trike on the picnic bench and workmate bench just the right height to work on it

Rog

• Like 3
3 hours ago, plantfit said:

Ok, I'll write this post slowly because I've been informed some of the members can't read all that fast, slywink

Not going out on the trike today so decided to give it a good clean before autumn gets here, off with the seat and pannier bags,chain off and cleaned and re-oiled,all gear changing parts cleaned and oiled as well as the cables for gears and brakes, a good going over with some Mr Sheen and it's ready for putting back together ready for my coffee morning ride tomorrow,

P1060901.jpg

P1060902.jpg

I find putting the trike on the picnic bench and workmate bench just the right height to work on it

Rog

It all looks terribly complicated to me Rog ! Where do you sit ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Fair play to you Rog..looks ready for action!

The wanderer has returned..herself is back today..so popped a leg of lamb in the oven...nice aroma in the kitchen..all the trimmings..thought i was on for a gold star:.. forgot our anniversary..the 27th!

Two steps forward...as they say.

Thanks for reminding me, ours is soon !

• Like 1

By- and-large, drivers up here in Caithness are considerate towards cyclists but there are some exceptions. whilst out on my bike this morning, I was heading for a passing place on a single track road in order to let an oncoming car pass me safely.  The inconsiderate bastard never even slowed down, almost knocking me off my bike just yards from the passing place! No excuse for not seeing me....I was wearing a high-vis jacket and others had no problem seeing me.

They asked me how I knew,

It was Esso Blue.

I of course replied,

With lower grades one buys,

Smoke gets in your eyes.

That flipping jingle was buzzing around my head all day yesterday!  Talk about bleddy earworms!

• Like 1

Been laid up a bit with a bug for a few days but late Tues afternon I decided I just had to have a look whats happening up the woods. Think I've mentioned before I was hoping for a good crop of Fungi this year.

Took the car to a lay by close by the woods rather than trekking over the hill. Mostly because of the time. 

It's all a bit odd. For those who this means anything to:  Usually the mushroom season starts a good bit later, late Sept at the earliest, apart from the Chicken of the Woods, which usually appears much earlier towards mid-summer, on Oaks.  The Autumn season often kicks off with a few things like the 'Wood Woolly Foot', which isn't especially interesting.  Also The 'Blackening Russula', which starts out whiteish but turns black almost as if charred, and can stay around for a long time.

Tuesday though, the first encounter was with 'The Miller' (Clitopilus Prunulus). Known as the Miller because it smells of flour.  Supposedly edible though I've never tried it, because only found odd ones  Also possibly confused with a few rather nasty species, so..  However, loads of the things about... never seen so many.  The other one approaching 'weed fungus' status this year is 'The Blusher'  (Amanita Rubescens.)  It's supposedly edible but often said not to be as it could be confused with some very nasty Amanitas which most definitely aren't . Same group as Amanita Muscaria, the red one with white spots often seen in story books, and Amanita Phalloides, which is totally deadly and shouldn't even be touched.

I headed up to what I used to regard as 'my' Cepe Patch.. where for years I found a decent crop of 'Penny Bun', or Cepes ( Boletus Edulis) also often called Porcini, though strictly, that name applies to a number of related species. It means 'Little Pigs' in Italian.  Maybe Nonna can add to this info.

In recent years I haven't found any Cepes at all and have mostly blamed the kids who have started to use the woods as a mountain biking track and done an awful lot of damage to the woodland floor.

Tuesday though.. I found two very old and rotting cepes under a bush, a little way from where I usually  used to find them.  Then, when I looked over to my 'patch'..Dozens of the things!!  Sadly, many had been kicked over by somebody, but they weren't especially old, so I collected all but the most battered.  A thorough search revealed a good few more, untouched. Also I could see many more just peeking through and left them to grow.

Got my crop home and weighed them in at 6.5 pounds!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1jatSbWPuk3oorCT7

In the end had to throw quite a few out as they were maggoty.  Some people leave them for the maggots to come out, but I'm not that hard up, even for cepes and only keep really clean specimens.  The good ones are now all cleaned, prepped and in the freezer. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UpnxCV8onHWEKLYR9

Result !!! :)

I'll pop back a couple more times to see if I can find more.

Col

• Like 2

Wedding Anniversary, two paracetamol and much caffeine !

Congratulations on your Anniversary, FLY.  I hope you'll have a good day after the paracetamol and coffee have taken effect!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Don't know anything about fungi but found your post very interesting Col

Rog

Thanks, they've always fascinated me Rog, and the love of 'Blewitts' which seems to still exist in the old mining communities is what got me started on the 'edibles'. The Blewitts won't be up for a few weeks yet though as they are usually among the last 'edibles', or 'esculents' to appear.

We have a few interested people on here and anybody who enjoys walking, could do much worse than to get a decent mushroom guide, as you will see them in woods, fields and hedgerows if you are observant.  You'll see literally every colour from white through grey to black, and the whole rainbow, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet.  Ok.. blue and indigo pretty rare, though quite a few go blue when cut or bruised.

It's pretty easy to get a grasp of the main groups.. Boletii, Agarics, Amanitas and Russulas for e.g.  Agarics are your typical 'Field Mushroom' type with white caps and flesh, and gills which change from pink through to black over time.   Still a few which can catch you out though, especially the 'Yellow Stainer' which looks much like a Horse Mushroom, but will give you an unpleasant time for a couple of days if eaten. 

Boletii are the ones with tubes rather than gills and include Cepes, Birch Boletus, and many others. Some delicious, most edible, a couple rather nasty.

Russulas mostly have all white stems and flesh, with beautifully coloured tops in every colour and gills which stay white.  Very difficult to separate some species and even the 'experts' consult 'expert experts' to be sure.  Mostly harmless, a few prized for eating, a couple known to cause vomiting. 

Amanitas.  You need to be able to recognise these. Mostly white stem and flesh and gills which stay white, but unlike Russulas they usually have some sort of 'ring' on the stem and emerge from some sort of 'volva' or sac in the earth. shape of the base of the stem is also diagnostic.  These things can be easy to recognise, such as Amanita Muscaria, which is the one with the red cap and white spots, (which are actually remains of the 'veil from which they emerge) or they can be outwardly very similar and easily confused. This group is notable because it contains the most deadly mushroom on the planet. Amanita Phalloides, ( Death Cap) along with the equally deadly Amanita Virosa (Destroying Angel).. yet also includes the beautiful Amanita Ceasarea (Ceasar's Mushroom) which is very highly prized for eating, but doesn't (yet) grow in Britain.. being confined to warm woods mostly in the Southern Alps.

Collin's 'Little Gem' guide is pocket sized and a decent starter.  Roger Philips photographic guide to Muashrooms and Toadstool of Britain and Northern Europs is superb.  There are many others.  I have dozens.

* I have been interested all my life, but I NEVER take risks and only eat a very few wild fungi which I can positively identify. Most people seem to think that brightly coloured fungi are likely to be poisonous while the ones that look closest to field mushrooms aren't.  This is rubbish.  The most deadly mushrooms on the planet can look quite harmless. The ONLY way to be safe is to be absolutely certain what you have found. If in any doubt whatever. DO NOT EAT THEM.

Col

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

The most deadly mushrooms on the planet can look quite harmless.

Which is why I only collect them from the supermarket!

Years ago there was a guy who came in our pub selling 'Bluebuttons' that he had harvested from the local fields, supposedly delicious but I never dared to try them.

In France, all pharmacies and police stations have charts detailing mushrooms and pharmacists are able to advise on any mushrooms brought in for them to identify.

My housekeeper is something of a mushroom expert and we enjoy many dishes (especially at this time of year) made up of wild mushrooms. She also dries some (such as Boletus edulis (cep)) for the winter. At this time of year, her apartment is amassed with garlands of all manner of edibles for winter use. She also processes olives - which is an exceptionally fiddly procedure.

• Like 1

Took a trip into Newark again this morning but went in the car this time, parked in the car park near PC world,Homebase, walked passed the new houses and picked up a footpath alongside the Trent,turning left and follow the river upstream until we got to the footbridge over the river at the back of Aldi ,this led us onto the footpath leading upto the Trent bridge in Newark, we crossed the bridge and picked up another footpath on the opposite side of the river this time downstream and walked passed the Castle barge that is moored on the river,following that footpath to the end and it came out at the side of the Malt Shovel pub on the main road, from there it was a short walk to the market place, time for a cuppa and a sausage roll,heading back this time taking in a short walk through the castle grounds and down to the riverside again this time following it upstream as far as Newark lock,over the lock and sat there for a while watching  all sorts of river craft entering and exiting the lock some going upstream some down, setting off again this time downstream until we picked up the pathway opposite the Castle barge and then retraced our steps back to the car park, a lovely walk through Newark and alongside the river meeting some friendly Notts folk and quite a few tourists

Rog

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1