• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

I'm. Making a comeback in town red,,may as well never got beaten up as bad as this,when in town,,  lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A gathering of the outlaws Red, not my choice, but at least I won a tenner off them at cards !

• Like 1

Awoke this morning with tea on my mind. so who can tell me: What was the price of a quarter pound pack of tea (Brooke Bond, Typhoo, or similar will do) in 1960, please?

• Like 1

Ben will be along in a bit, he'll know exactly how much,where they were picked,who picked the tips,who packed them and no doubt who used to nick them

Rog

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Compo said:

Awoke this morning with tea on my mind. so who can tell me: What was the price of a quarter pound pack of tea (Brooke Bond, Typhoo, or similar will do) in 1960, please?

How times have changed,, in 1960 hardly sold much coffee,,and bottle coffee was indeed mre popular,,ie,,Bev,,Bon,,and Camp,,hardly any t bags back then either,, anyone remember T strainers?

I don't ever remember drinking coffee until I married 1967 and then only occasionally.

I think that would be camp. ( you can take the girl out of Gedling )

I still use a tea strainer for some tea ben.

• Like 1

Me dad would only drink loose tea,a spoonful in the tea strainer and poured boiling water over it, at work he had one of them tea strainer spoons,put a spoonful of tea in it close it up and put in the cup/mug,pour boiling water over it and there you go, I think someone posted a picture of that type of spoon tea strainer some time ago, I remember me mam buying some tea bags for him once,sometime in the 60's, he wouldn't touch them,she had to cut them all open and empty the tea in the caddy

Rog

• Like 4

When I was young, a neighbour bought tea bags for the first time. Her husband, not understanding what you did with them, carefully cut the corner from each bag and put the tea into the caddy.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, sue B 48 said:

I don't ever remember drinking coffee until I married 1967 and then only occasionally.

I think that would be camp. ( you can take the girl out of Gedling )

I still use a tea strainer for some tea ben.

Funny that sue,,1967 l had ceased habits,like tea drinking,enjoyed my strong black coffees,,even got married and tried to be a sophisticated wine drinker,,just wasn't me,, lol,

• Like 2

Sent a player off after 48 SECONDS today.  Most horrendous two footed tackle, he says to me: "You can't send me off in the first minute". I replied it doesn't matter if its the first or the last minute, if the tackle has the potential to break your opponent's leg. Off you go".

• Like 2

Only got sent off once in over three decades of playing,,it was at Wilford lane about 1970,,very bad tackle dont know what made me do it,,after the game apologised to the other player and we shook hands,

Lucky for me i knew the ref,from old bestwood days,,(george off Teviot road) he didnt make the sending off official,,good old days and flexible rules,

IF i was a ref today deepdene boy.."" I'd be sending players off right left and centre for swearing and spitting,, we swore yes, but quietly,certainly not in front of women and kids,,as for spitting it was only to spit blood or sometimes teeth,, eeeh when i were a lad,,lol

• Like 4

I still fail to see why refs rarely take action re shirt pulling, wrestling in the box, and gaining ground at throw ins. The World Cup referring was mainly deplorable. Some penalty areas resembled a rugby match.

• Like 1

Played with George Best,, (

no not one,,although did have a drink with him), no this lad came from Kirkby or Annesley,,was always good to see the refs face when taking his name,, lol

• Like 1

As a rider to my previous comments re. teabags, have you ever looked at the contents of one and compared it with loose tea? Dust and what looks like floor sweepings best describes the contents of a teabag - which explains the sludge you often get at the bottom of your cup when drinking bagged tea rather than leaf tea.

• Like 1

Great stuff Ben, so good to have you posting frequently again :biggrin:

One of our 7 month old cats (Samson)went awol on Sat evening. All day yesterday his brother (Panto 2nd) kept going out to look for him, returning regularly to be reassured by us. He was obviously upset and would not eat. This morning, in walks Samson totally unaware about the worry he caused his brother and Mrs PP. Not seen a bird in the garden since these two started going outside :(

Felt good on the rowing machine this morning. Nice easy session watching telly. Harder session yesterday and tomorrow. Can't do hard/brisk sessions every day these days.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, jonab said:

As a rider to my previous comments re. teabags, have you ever looked at the contents of one and compared it with loose tea? Dust and what looks like floor sweepings best describes the contents of a teabag - which explains the sludge you often get at the bottom of your cup when drinking bagged tea rather than leaf tea.

When I worked in the offices of Rotheras on Friar Lane, many years ago now, there was no kitchen so we had vending machines on each landing which provided free drinks. The coffee was horrible and, so I'm told, was the tea but it dispensed a very good hot chocolate and a lemon tea which was really nice cold as well. Free drinks is an unusual perk for a solicitors' office but I enjoyed working there. Nice folk.

• Like 1

Where I did my apprenticeship we had a drink vending machine in the canteen, and like Jill's the tea and coffee were dire. The chocolate was good as was the soup. Ours was not free, cost four pence a cup, the soup got me through many a cold night shift after my Thermos was empty.

The Thermos had a wide neck so you could put thick chunky soups and chipolatas and beans in them.